Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something called eSports on Sky Sports

Options
  • 29-03-2019 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭

Relaxing on the couch this evening sinking a few beers and putting the feet up. There was an ad break on Sky Sports Golf, so I decided I'd flick through the channels to see what else was on.

Turned on Sky Sports Premier League, and there was something called the ePremier League Final on - two nerds playing the FIFA computer game on TV. How could that be considered a sport, and who would actually sit down and watch two fat lads play computer games? Am I missing something?

At least Liverpool were hammering Manchester United in the final, so there's that I suppose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Am I missing something?
    Yes
    It's incredibly popular and the best ones are making crazy money.

For you, the viewer, it's the same. You sit and watch rich people do something you cannot do as well as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I ended up watching some of that today for some unkown reason

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If watching a footie match on the telly over a few cans is considered 'being into sport' then I don't see why playing computer games can't be considered a sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/esports-in-numbers-five-mind-blowing-stats

Big viewing figures and big prize funds.

There's even talk of it making the Olympics at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Relaxing on the couch this evening sinking a few beers and putting the feet up. There was an ad break on Sky Sports Golf, so I decided I'd flick through the channels to see what else was on.

I suppose the irony of you watching Golf on Sky and complaining about non sports is lost on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

An Olympic sport? Lads sitting around playing computer games and getting a gold medal for it? I’ve heard it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Golf made it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Video games cannot be sport, they’re games. Chess isn’t a sport for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

AllForIt wrote: »
    If watching a footie match on the telly over a few cans is considered 'being into sport' then I don't see why playing computer games can't be considered a sport.

Eera leave it out will ya.

I was going to point out that they’re hardly sport if the competitors aren’t sweaty afterwards but then I remembered the sopping hulking masses my nephew and his friends turn into after a few “rounds” of PlayStation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I was going to point out that they’re hardly sport if the competitors aren’t sweaty afterwards but then I remembered the sopping hulking masses my nephew and his friends turn into after a few “rounds” of PlayStation.

That would rule out darts, snooker, bowls and probably a few others.

As for eSports - it's a lucrative industry. Some bookmakers even offer bets on it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wouldn't really personally be my cup of tea, and I say that as someone who plays a lot of games. But each to their own, there's indisputably mad skill involved in it, so I don't really see the distinction between many other non-physical sports like Darts or whatever.

Games are pretty complex these days and require incredible dexterity, response, teamwork, intelligence, etc in the big eSports titles, which is why they have huge followings and there is major money in it. Obviously people who don't understand games will just think "Jaysus, sitting around playing Mario the Hedgehog is a sport, wha?" when it's far from that simple.

It's been around the last two decades and beyond, but it's only in recent years it's starting to become extremely lucrative, with the rise of the likes of YouTube, Twitch, etc.

That would rule out darts, snooker, bowls and probably a few others.

As for eSports - it's a lucrative industry. Some bookmakers even offer bets on it.
    Bookies offer bets on everything. I’m sure you can find a bookmaker willing to put money on dog fighting if you look hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This was on in the pub yesterday when I realised it wasn't real football I was looking around for the kid with a joystick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

i am jacks skeptic eye

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Video games cannot be sport, they’re games. Chess isn’t a sport for the same reason.

Many moons ago, when I was a young lad learning nursery rhymes, the word “sport” meant “fun” or “entertainment”. (Hey diddle diddle...)

Where is it law that there must be strenuous physical activity to be sport? Why are basketball, ice hockey and baseball referred to as games, despite your apparent classification?

As to the OP, watching folks play video games is a fairly big business. Go look up the figures for even casual viewing on Twitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 FrankieFeeler

Esports are not sports because they are not real, they are just simulations of something that could be real.Simple as that.Every other sport people might want to dismiss as being a sport at least have the virtue of being real.

It's utterly depressing that this **** is going to be in the olympics in a few years time and will probably eventually supplant real sports in popular culture.Show you how ****ed up the world really had gone in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Turned on Sky Sports Premier League, and there was something called the ePremier League Final on - two nerds playing the FIFA computer game on TV. How could that be considered a sport, and who would actually sit down and watch two fat lads play computer games? Am I missing something?

As opposed to two fat lads sitting watching football two fat lads get to sit watching two fat lads sit watching football. It's World of World of Warcraft:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

id like to see those cheering for players on telly to be on actual field for more then 10 minutes without having a stroke, never mind making across the field like pros do, it would be like watching fat adults playing like 10yr olds if it came across playing between pros.

esports is just the same, some games require insane iq and skills, as what you have been watching prob had 20-100k prize win.

grand you dont need to sweat 10hours each day, but to put in 1000 hours into mastering some game to make a kill isnt lesser investment.

theres some good docus on esports where revenue is almost on par being generated by these tournaments like any other sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It really is crap that they have this stuff on the sports channels. I mean, you’re paying for sports but instead they put on people playing computer games.

The drone racing is another dud. I’m not sure what they’re thinking, are they trying to get the more nerdy types to pay for Sky Sports? Surely they just watch their games online. It just seems like a waste of time.

I’d rather watch reruns of NFL or Kabaddi than watch these nerdy kids playing games or flying toys around.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It really is crap that they have this stuff on the sports channels. I mean, you’re paying for sports but instead they put on people playing computer games.

The drone racing is another dud. I’m not sure what they’re thinking, are they trying to get the more nerdy types to pay for Sky Sports? Surely they just watch their games online. It just seems like a waste of time.

I’d rather watch reruns of NFL or Kabaddi than watch these nerdy kids playing games or flying toys around.

There's something on TV you don't like??? What craziness is this. It's almost like the TV companies aren't solely catering for your personal needs. You should complain.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

E sports is bad. Chewing like a mofo. Find a good dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

There's something on TV you don't like??? What craziness is this. It's almost like the TV companies aren't solely catering for your personal needs. You should complain.

When I’m paying for a sports package I expect sports.

You still hear people bang on about how MTV never plays music and that’s been going on for over a decade.

Are the sports channels going to be all kids playing computer games in ten years time? If they are I certainly won’t be paying for them. Maybe they could bring back Patrick Moore’s disembodied head to do some colour commentary. Ridiculous.

Haven’t seen any of this tripe on BT Sports so maybe I’ll keep that one. But it’s no wonder people are being forced to go through other means to watch TV these days without paying.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wa always bewildered at the whole people watching other people play games phenomenon.

Then I remembered that one of my favourite tv programmes is Soccer Saturday, where we watch a bunch of men watch footballing football matches. Even though I have access to the games, I still prefer to watch Soccer Saturday over the games themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Relaxing on the couch this evening sinking a few beers and putting the feet up.

two fat lads?

Career oppurtunity?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

An Olympic sport? Lads sitting around playing computer games and getting a gold medal for it? I’ve heard it all now.

Nothing says ‘out of touch’ like gawking at disbelief at a multi billion phenomenon thats been around for a decade.

I dont watch esports personally but its literally everywhere these days. Though this board being full of old men might be why this thread even exists

You still hear people bang on about how MTV never plays music and that’s been going on for over a decade.

Are the sports channels going to be all kids playing computer games in ten years time? If they are I certainly won’t be paying for them. Maybe they could bring back Patrick Moore’s disembodied head to do some colour commentary. Ridiculous.

Haven’t seen any of this tripe on BT Sports so maybe I’ll keep that one. But it’s no wonder people are being forced to go through other means to watch TV these days without paying.

This guy in particular. ‘WAAAAAAH WHY ARENT THEY CATERING TO ME ANYMORE’

Grow up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

There’s arguments for both sides. Usually chess gets brought up and shot down due to the fact it isn’t a physical sport needing things like reaction speed, hand eye coordination, twitch reactions etc. so is a ‘game’. Usually Darts gets thrown around as a counter argument and how it’s considered a sport because of the above etc etc.

I think e-sports fall somewhere inbetween and it really depends on the ‘game’. Street Fighter for example is crazy. It’s definite rules made by numbers that solidify the playing field. The fact that It’s one-on-one and based on no random variables or **** like ‘oh no my striker just got injured’ etc. It’s high speed chess but also the muscle memory and dexterity needed at the level where people are wearing stupid looking sponsored jerseys and being televised is insane.

It’s mental high speed mindgames and training and physically difficult. Would I call it a sport... emmm maybe, probably not. A legitimate form of competition capable of having ‘pros’ and leagues etc... yeah.

Of course the argument against it being a sport is if it’s really physical if it’s just your hands? Your arms at a stretch?

I dunno the answer, but if Arm Wrestling is considered a sport....

I’d watch two high level players duke it out in street fighter over Arm Wrestling I know that much. Would I watch people play FIFA? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

This has been shown on sky sports before during the international break. Its nothing new and you will be able to enjoy your repeats of match highlights again from tomorrow on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I wa always bewildered at the whole people watching other people play games phenomenon.

Then I remembered that one of my favourite tv programmes is Soccer Saturday, where we watch a bunch of men watch footballing football matches. Even though I have access to the games, I still prefer to watch Soccer Saturday over the games themselves

You’d be surprised at the amount of streams, YouTube personalities etc who are very popular for doing similar. Pretty much people watching other people watching others play a competitive game ha ha

Advertisement