Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

whippet wrote: »
    for me it is as soon as I get in to the gym … years of abuse of my knees as a goal keeper mean that sleeves keep them warm.

Depending on the sleeves you use you might not get any benefit from them .. I have a couple of pairs - cheap $10 ones I got in a gym in florida which I use for warming up and for sets that would be circa 80%. I have SBDs which I use for anything above 80%.

I have invested in a new set of SlingShot Extreme 'X' Sleeves and haven't tried them out yet - but they do seem really stiff.

I generally don't think I get any massive gain in terms of weight from sleeves - the difference between my bare knee and sleeved squat is about 20kg … while the difference between my sleeved and wrapped squat is about 45kg !

There was a discussion in the IrishPF Facebook group once upon a time about how much people got from sleeves.

I often think there is a mental benefit as much as a mechanical.

I'd say I'd get somewhere around 5-7.5 out of them. Not sure....it's been a while since I went to see how far Id go without sleeves.

Do they not gather behind then knee when in the squat?
    I'm not looking to make gains in terms of weight squatted, but solely interested in joint protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Do they not gather behind then knee when in the squat?
    I'm not looking to make gains in terms of weight squatted, but solely interested in joint protection.

Just get ordinary neoprene supports.

Just get ordinary neoprene supports.

Any recommended brands or suchlike? SBD seems to be the popular choice but they are quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Any recommended brands or suchlike? SBD seems to be the popular choice but they are quite expensive.

Bulk powders knee sleeves are good for the price imo

Most neoprene supports are much the same. You can get them in any sports shop. Knee sleeves are not really for support so would be no point in getting expensive knee sleeves. You're not looking to get from knee sleeves what people get knee sleeves for.

Bulkpowders, cheaper strengthshop ones or just any knee supports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Brian? wrote: »
    I’m not sure I get the reason to be honest. If you want to increase volume, fire away. But you should do it in a logical fashion.

A drop set deadlift sounds like a terrible idea. As long as we’re talking about the same thing. A drop set is dropping the weight and repping out with a minimal pause.

then im using the term incorrectly , just referring to the number 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 and dropping the weight, not rushed, with the squat Ill mostly do 5 5 5 7... as I'd be more conservative with the weight on that one compared to the Hex, though tend to do some box squats to check out a heavier weight

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

silverharp wrote: »
    then im using the term incorrectly , just referring to the number 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 and dropping the weight, not rushed, with the squat Ill mostly do 5 5 5 7... as I'd be more conservative with the weight on that one compared to the Hex, though tend to do some box squats to check out a heavier weight

You’re doing a reverse pyramid so.

I still wouldn’t do it on big movements like squat or deadlift. I don’t like to do high rep work on those. But that’s a personal thing.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    You’re doing a reverse pyramid so.

I still wouldn’t do it on big movements like squat or deadlift. I don’t like to do high rep work on those. But that’s a personal thing.

I know on Leangains you'd kick off with S/B/D but after working up to the top set there's only 2 drop sets.

Is there any need to train differently when you reach your 40's?

Also, any 'good' recommendations for a 4 day split muscle building routine?

No major differences other than being a bit more proactive in terms of recovery and not overreaching as much in terms of progression.

https://jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101077382-boring-but-big
    The above programme has been quite successful for a lot of people but lives up to its name.

Is that a muscle building routine or a strength routine? It looks like the latter.

Is that a muscle building routine or a strength routine? It looks like the latter.

Build muscle through strength and eating.

Most hypertrophy routines I see aren't suited to natural lifters, never mind beginners. Get strong and eat a load and you'll get big.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

The two aren't mutually exclusive, a bigger muscle will usually be a stronger one. But as per the name Boring but Big is primarily focused on hypertrophy i.e. getting bigger. A happy by product is that you'll also get stronger. There's a huge amount of volume to it. I'd also read the below links in conjunction with it, the first one is Boring but Big Beefcake where Wendler adds in more assistance work with an even greater focus on hypertrophy. Wendler over does the tough guy talk at times but there's a lot of good info and principles whether you run it or not.

It's obviously up to you if you run it or not but it is focused on putting on size and if you eat right you will get bigger on it. It doesn't have to be run forever (and Wendler actually advises changing templates fairly often) so if you're worried about it maybe give it a proper run for a month or two and see if you like it and any results from it. I promise unless you eat at a deficit you won't lose muscle anyway.

Also just a heads up when Wendler talks percentages he's basing them off a training max of usually 90%. That is 90% of your 1RM, if you don't know your 1RM take a weight you can do for 3 reps. That number is then your training max which you base your percentages off. So say my 1RM is 100kg my training max would be 90kg. So when Wendler says do 5x10 at 50% that would mean do 5x10 at 45kg. I know it sounds complicated but if you search lifting vault which was linked earlier there should be a ready made spreadsheet or alternatively you can google Boring but Big Black Iron Beast calculator.

https://jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/boring-but-big-beefcake-training

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/boring-but-big-3-month-challenge

EDIT: Spreadsheets to make it simpler.

https://liftvault.com/programs/powerlifting/jim-wendlers-531-spreadsheet/

It's got sets of 5x10 after the 'strength sets' so I'm not sure how it's just a strength routine. Plenty of volume in there.

Squat – 5/3/1
    Squat – 5 sets of 10 reps
    Abs – 5 sets

So, in week one, each day I'll be doing 78 squats, bench presses, DL's and OH presses?

5/3/1 routine = 5, 5, 3, 5, 5 & 5 reps according to the plans.
    Followed by 5 * 10 reps
    Total = 78
    Followed by second assistance exercise.

Correct?

Squat – 5/3/1
    Squat – 5 sets of 10 reps
    Abs – 5 sets

So, in week one, each day I'll be doing 78 squats, bench presses, DL's and OH presses?

5/3/1 routine = 5, 5, 3, 5, 5 & 5 reps according to the plans.
    Followed by 5 * 10 reps
    Total = 78
    Followed by second assistance exercise.

Correct?

5/3/1 varies by the week. First week is your 5s week, second week 3s and third 5/3/1.

So just for squats say it would be:
    Week 1:
    Warm up
    5 reps 65%
    5 reps 70%
    5+ reps 75%
    5x10 50%
    Abs 5x10

Week 2
    Warm up
    3 reps 70%
    3 reps 80%
    3+ reps 90%
    Assistance as before

Week 3
    Warm up
    5 reps 75%
    3 reps 85%
    1+ reps 95%
    Assistance as before

On the + sets you're not going to failure you generally want one or two reps left in the tank but you are pushing yourself. How many reps will depend on the day but generally it's not advised you increase the weight unless you can hit five good reps on your 1+ set.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wdyKcA8AUC6UZBJLTHNCScooyq0cyPpIr1cDRCm-f_0/edit#gid=459423069

If you make a cope of that spreadsheet and input your lifts it might make more sense. Just note it doesn't have the assistance work beyond the 5x10 sets because they're more up to you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

What are the best solutions for tight hamstrings? When I lie on my back I can't lift my legs up in a straight line more than a 30/40 degree angle, more than that and I've to bend at the knees

What are the best solutions for tight hamstrings? When I lie on my back I can't lift my legs up in a straight line more than a 30/40 degree angle, more than that and I've to bend at the knees

Do 1+2 on this list every day.

Plus a paused squat. Feet shoulder width apar, squat down as far as you can while keeping a neutral back. Hold for 10s. Stand up and repeat by 3. Try to get lower over time. When you can do it comfortably for 3x10s, increase the time.

https://www.verywellfit.com/hamstring-stretches-2696359

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

i think you forgot the list

IvoryTower wrote: »
    i think you forgot the list

That was a test, you passed.

they/them/theirs

Right, bit of a ramble and probably mis-remembered thoughts coming up leading to a question.

About 6 months ago I changed up the diet to lose weight. I was really unfit (couple of flights of stairs was daunting). It went well for a while, under 2000kcal a day and got down a couple of stone. However I started exercising a decent amount about 6 weeks ago and since then my weight has been creeping back up. Calories has stayed about the same but at my weight (~130kg) I thought the "easy" weight loss should have continued for a while longer. 5 a side for an hour twice a week and "light" cardio (not light for me :P ) 3-4 times per week. I can notice an incredible difference in fitness already but the weight creeping up is incredibly frustrating. So could it be that I've just developed some muscle after over a decade of barely moving or do I need to further cut the calories?

Right, bit of a ramble and probably mis-remembered thoughts coming up leading to a question.

About 6 months ago I changed up the diet to lose weight. I was really unfit (couple of flights of stairs was daunting). It went well for a while, under 2000kcal a day and got down a couple of stone. However I started exercising a decent amount about 6 weeks ago and since then my weight has been creeping back up. Calories has stayed about the same but at my weight (~130kg) I thought the "easy" weight loss should have continued for a while longer. 5 a side for an hour twice a week and "light" cardio (not light for me :P ) 3-4 times per week. I can notice an incredible difference in fitness already but the weight creeping up is incredibly frustrating. So could it be that I've just developed some muscle after over a decade of barely moving or do I need to further cut the calories?

If you were in a deficit you'd continue losing weight. Are you using something to track calories or just eyeballing it? If it's the latter it's likely you're consuming more than you think. If you are tracking I would guess that while you've been doing more obvious exercise you've compensated by being more sedentary outside of it which is a pretty natural reaction to be honest.

Either way, if weight loss is the main goal, dropping calories is your best way forward. Try dropping around 100 calories every few days until the scales start moving the same way again.

Fair play on taking the first steps.

• Advertisement

If you were in a deficit you'd continue losing weight. Are you using something to track calories or just eyeballing it? If it's the latter it's likely you're consuming more than you think. If you are tracking I would guess that while you've been doing more obvious exercise you've compensated by being more sedentary outside of it which is a pretty natural reaction to be honest.

Either way, if weight loss is the main goal, dropping calories is your best way forward. Try dropping around 100 calories every few days until the scales start moving the same way again.

Fair play on taking the first steps.

Tracking most, rounding up where I can't accurately.
    My energy levels are already through the floor. Get a salad most days, vegetable soup, small smoothie, yoghurt etc. just so I'm getting some fruit/veg in. Given my BMR seems to be north of 3000kcal it's a bit puzzling at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Tracking most, rounding up where I can't accurately.
    My energy levels are already through the floor. Get a salad most days, vegetable soup, small smoothie, yoghurt etc. just so I'm getting some fruit/veg in. Given my BMR seems to be north of 3000kcal it's a bit puzzling at this stage.

kind of empty food you are describing, moar protein. If you have cut out all what would be considered to be junk food you will lose weight. Just make sure there aren't sneaky sources of sugar getting into your diet, fruit for instance ideally should be some berries not loads of sugary tropical fruit. Avoid food labelled as "low fat" as will generally mean more processed carbs and be careful with food like nuts
    Don't only eat chicken or be totally afraid of fat, they have important nutrients and provide good satiety. Other dimensions to look into are time restricted eating, 12-8PM for instance can work well.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Anybody here have any experience of dealing with irish lifting?

Im building a home gym which is almost done and want a power rack with a full Olympic setup.

Anybody here have any experience of dealing with irish lifting?

Im building a home gym which is almost done and want a power rack with a full Olympic setup.

Yep. They’re grand.

they/them/theirs

Will be starting the 531 next week. I've taken some 1RM this week and was wondering if these figures are decent (I weigh 72kg, 41yo):
    Bench: 95kg
    Squat: 115kg
    DL: 150kg

I thought they were okay, but looking at online strength stds it seems to be a fairly poor return considering as I've been doing weights for a number of years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Will be starting the 531 next week. I've taken some 1RM this week and was wondering if these figures are decent (I weigh 72kg, 41yo):
    Bench: 95kg
    Squat: 115kg
    DL: 150kg

I thought they were okay, but looking at online strength stds it seems to be a fairly poor return considering as I've been doing weights for a number of years now.
    Depends what sort of standard you are holding yourself to? They'd be proficient, but not advanced.
    Squat is disproportionately low compared to the other two.
    But that'll also depends on the type of squat you do, which strength standard rarely consider.

Mellor wrote: »
    Depends what sort of standard you are holding yourself to? They'd be proficient, but not advanced.
    Squat is disproportionately low compared to the other two.
    But that'll also depends on the type of squat you do, which strength standard rarely consider.

Doing high bar squat as the low bar squat was causing lower back pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Doing high bar squat as the low bar squat was causing lower back pain.
    That would skew the strength standards slightly. They more likely refer to low bar.

My move onto gzclp has been disastrous.

I was doing a routine that was posted here and for good reason, told it was wrong. Big gains though.

But learning deadlift, bench, and overhead press has taken so long, I've stopped progressing totally. I'm still struggling with the squat because I can't get low enough.

I need reassurance. Do I just spend a few more months learning these moves to be safe instead of what I was doing? It's so frustrating.

I'm using Alan Thrall for technique. The PTs here aren't good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

My move onto gzclp has been disastrous.

I was doing a routine that was posted here and for good reason, told it was wrong. Big gains though.

But learning deadlift, bench, and overhead press has taken so long, I've stopped progressing totally. I'm still struggling with the squat because I can't get low enough.

I need reassurance. Do I just spend a few more months learning these moves to be safe instead of what I was doing? It's so frustrating.

I'm using Alan Thrall for technique. The PTs here aren't good.

I'm not an experienced lifter by any means, I'm at it little over a year now. But I wouldn't attempt squat/deadlift without having been instructed how to do it properly. Everyone is different but I had these moves learned off in a few days with some proper instruction, I'm not sure it should take months.

Can you hit proper depth on your squat with no weight?

Advertisement