Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would you vote SF?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

You seem to suggest disappointment. Are you a disgruntled former SF supporter?

:eek: God, no! And, no, I don't consider FF and FG's trimming to be any less repugnant just because I expect it of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

ilkhanid wrote: »
    :eek: God, no! And, no, I don't consider FF and FG's trimming to be any less repugnant just because I expect it of them.

Ha :)
    For me I don't hold any party in high regard, however I'm willing to give the SD's and to a lesser extent indies/SF etc. a nod over parties like FF/FG, with a proven record in cronyism and wasting tax payer money, crises etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

I used to religiously vote for SF until they decided to pick up and sing from the same liberal hymnsheet as everyone else. EU membership, abortion, same sex marriage, no religion in schools, extra asylum seekers etc. Their councillors on twitter come out with stuff that would make Gregory Campbell blush.

Honestly don't see the difference at all in any of them anymore.

Mary Lou McLonderry and Liadh ní poppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I used to religiously vote for SF until they decided to pick up and sing from the same liberal hymnsheet as everyone else. EU membership, abortion, same sex marriage, no religion in schools, extra asylum seekers etc. Their councillors on twitter come out with stuff that would make Gregory Campbell blush.

Would you have voted for them recently because the pro migration and extremely socially liberal policies have been around for quite a while, seem like you’re looking for a party more akin to renua or the national party from that excerpt.

Would you have voted for them recently because the pro migration and extremely socially liberal policies have been around for quite a while, seem like you’re looking for a party more akin to renua or the national party from that excerpt.

Yep, could well be that I just didn't properly know what they were about. Although they were EU sceptical as recently as 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Times change and so do parties. Obviously not your thing but any parties doing any of the above might be riding the popular wave, but I think they're good ideas. Don't know about 'extra' asylum seekers.

Times change and so do parties. Obviously not your thing but any parties doing any of the above might be riding the popular wave, but I think they're good ideas. Don't know about 'extra' asylum seekers.

Regardless of whether they are or aren't good ideas, let's look at the thread title.

Why bother voting for them when there are 5-6 more parties parroting the exact same thing, word for word?

What sets SF apart from the other happy clappy liberals?

I think part of the reason I kept voting for them for as long as I did was because I found many of their harshest critics were nauseating o6 apologists. I figured they must be doing something right.

Eventually I realised the United 'Ireland' they were looking for is not the Ireland I know, or want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

There is a possible collapse of Sinn Fein in the south now that Gerry’s gone. Their first election without him has really gone badly and with Sinn Fein parroting the same as the likes of people before profit its only a matter of time before the older crowd jump ship to aontu (unless something goes drastically wrong with them and damages there image).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a possible collapse of Sinn Fein in the south now that Gerry’s gone. Their first election without him has really gone badly and with Sinn Fein parroting the same as the likes of people before profit its only a matter of time before the older crowd jump ship to aontu (unless something goes drastically wrong with them and damages there image).
    Second - their first (Presidential) went even worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 istooptoconcur

Ireland has no viable labour serving party, sin fein seemed poised to step into this role at some point. nationalism can go by the by for me. I was disappointed by the working class' failure to perform (by voting) for the parties dedicated to them. someone dropped the ball all right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement