Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

Here's my view. I think that if you win a title you have the right to not defend it for a year while you struggle to defeat a journeyman fighter and only after you have met those criteria can you then fight for the second title and call yourself double champion.

Oh, and you never have to defend either title.

Those are my rules. I dunno. Maybe it's just me.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Fairly sure BJ Penn

Are you sure about that? Maybe don't want to check how I worded my post?

I'll wait here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Here's my view. I think that if you win a title you have the right to not defend it for a year while you struggle to defeat a journeyman fighter and only after you have met those criteria can you then fight for the second title and call yourself double champion.

Oh, and you never have to defend either title.

Those are my rules. I dunno. Maybe it's just me.
    You do realise the Diaz fights happened because RDA pulled out of the LW championship fight?
    If he didn't, it would have went McGregor v Aldo - McGregor v RDA.
    Would you still have an issue if that was the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Who got that treatment first?

BJ Penn

MrStuffins wrote: »
    BJ Penn

Read my post.

• Advertisement

You do realise the Diaz fights happened because RDA pulled out of the LW championship fight?
    If he didn't, it would have went McGregor v Aldo - McGregor v RDA.
    Would you still have an issue if that was the case?

I understand why the first Diaz fight happened. I don't understand why McGregor didn't have the defend his FW title after that.

Could you explain why without McGregor being privileged?

Are you sure about that? Maybe don't want to check how I worded my post?

I'll wait here.
    You said: "Got to move up a division while retaining their belt without defending it for an entire year?"

BJ Penn went 15 months between LW fights.
    I will give you he won it in the fight before that and defended it once before going for the WW belt.
    But going by your post, he was 15 months between LW defences.

You said: "Got to move up a division while retaining their belt without defending it for an entire year?"

BJ Penn went 15 months between LW fights.
    I will give you he won it in the fight before that and defended it once before going for the WW belt.
    But going by your post, he was 15 months between LW defences.

Answer this question using real knowledge. If Penn won the WW belt, would he have held both belts simultaneously?

Thanks

Answer this question using real knowledge. If Penn won the WW belt, would he have held both belts simultaneously?

Thanks
    I see no reason why he wouldn't have.
    DC did.
    Nunes does.

Read my post.

I did.

The gap between Penn and his fight with GSP was bigger than McGregor's title win (12th Dec 2015) and his proposed title fight (5th March 2016).

That's less than 3 months.

• Advertisement

Yes.

He did not vacate. In fact he went back down and defended v Kenny Florian and Diego Sanchez before the end of the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Like or hate him Conor was probably the biggest financial asset the UFC have ever had.
    Not to be confused with being the best fighter etc. but from a business perspective he was massive.
    The number of new UFC fans he attracted and the drama he built was worth it to allow him rope to do things others would never be allowed.
    The UFC is a business really as much as a sport - not a sport like boxing.

There is no need to defend what Conor was allowed to do as he earned the right to do it by his antics both in and out of the ring at the time.

I understand why the first Diaz fight happened. I don't understand why McGregor didn't have the defend his FW title after that.

Could you explain why without McGregor being privileged?

I'm wrong on the BJ Penn point. I thought he vacated. Could someone answer the above?

Could someone answer the above?

He did have to defend it.

He chose not to and was stripped due to inactivity.

Some privilege!

He did have to defend it.

He chose not to and was stripped due to inactivity.

Some privilege!

Was he stripped after Diaz I or Diaz II or after the Alvarez fight?

:rolleyes:

I'll ask again, why didn't he defend or be stripped after he decided to pursue Diaz II?

I admitted when I got something wrong. That's what a man does.

There is no need to defend what Conor was allowed to do as he earned the right to do it by his antics both in and out of the ring at the time.

He earned everything. That's the point.

Saying it's "privilege" is nothing short of ignorant. Lads who have never posted in the MMA forum outside of the McGregor thread, jumping on the bandwagon after all ground work has been done and saying "He only got what he has because he was privileged".

The lad was a double World Champ in Cage Warriors before UFC even looked at him. Dana was being accosted in the street by people asking why he hadn't signed Conor and he'd never heard of him.

You can criticise Conor for many things. Being privileged is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Was he stripped after Diaz I or Diaz II or after the Alvarez fight?

:rolleyes:

I'll ask again, why didn't he defend or be stripped after he decided to pursue Diaz II?

I admitted when I got something wrong. That's what a man does.

He was stripped less than a year after winning the FW title. There is active champions who don't fight for more than that.

He saved the company millions on multiple occasions while also generating them millions during that time.

Certainly not privileged but he certainly would have deserved to be during that time.

Because he fought for the Lightweight belt.

Can you not just Google these things? Like, try Googleing the name "BJ Penn". His best years were before Conor's time so you probably haven't heard of him.

Check him out, he was great!

bmcc10 wrote: »
    He was stripped three fights after winning the FW title.

Better. He wasn't inactive, he simply had no intention of defending it.

Because he fought for the Lightweight belt.

Can you not just Google these things? Like, try Googleing the name "BJ Penn". His best years were before Conor's time so you probably haven't heard of him.

Check him out, he was great!

You chose the other path. Too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

He earned everything. That's the point.

Saying it's "privilege" is nothing short of ignorant. Lads who have never posted in the MMA forum outside of the McGregor thread, jumping on the bandwagon after all ground work has been done and saying "He only got what he has because he was privileged".

The lad was a double World Champ in Cage Warriors before UFC even looked at him. Dana was being accosted in the street by people asking why he hadn't signed Conor and he'd never heard of him.

You can criticise Conor for many things. Being privileged is not one of them.

Oh I fully support your point, whether people like it or not, Conor as a whole made himself the most sellable fighter in UFC history. That was his doing and none others.

All UFC fighters to come can thank him for creating the big pay days that have come since. He reset the pay scale (on the upper end at least).

Don't like the man but will be first to admit he made his own path and it really worked for him.

You chose the other path. Too bad.

You keep asking all these questions, so let me ask you a couple.

You keep using the word "privilege". This came from a mention of "Dana White Privilege", in which Tony Ferguson implied that Michael Chandler hadn't earned the right to his title shot.

Are you implying here that Conor McGregor hasn't earned what he has gotten in MMA?

You mentioned privilege due to PPV buys...... are you saying that he didn't earn his position as a big PPV draw?

Better. He wasn't inactive, he simply had no intention of defending it.
    Cormier held the LHW belt nearly a year before relinquishing it, for what it's worth.
    He also had no intention of going back to LHW.

Don't like the man but will be first to admit he made his own path and it really worked for him.

And that path included fighting the top prospects in the world on prelims, before beating the #1 & #2 FWs in the world at the time.

Then stepping up to fight the LW Champion.

Nothing was handed to him.

Conor fights Diaz because RDA pulled out. Fair enough. He gets beaten. Fair enough. I don't think anyone can complain about this.

Time to defend your FW belt champ? Nah. I'm going to fight Diaz at WW again. Ok... will he vacate the belt since he's able to defend it but won't? Nah. Let's hold up the division instead.

*The fact that he isn't stripped here is a joke and clear privilege, but IMO the UFC has been a joke since around this point anyway.*

Ok, you just about beat a journeyman fighter. Are you going to defend your belt now champ? Nah. I'm fighting for the LW belt now. Ok... are you going to vacate now? Nah... Let's hold up the division some more.

McGregor wins the LW belt. Ok, finally. Will you defend the FW belt now? Nah. Ok, NOW we will strip you.

This man is privileged. And in the process of doing this they made a joke out of the UFC. Interim belts everywhere. BMF belt? LOL.

It's WWE ****e now.

Cormier held the LHW belt nearly a year before relinquishing it, for what it's worth.
    He also had no intention of going back to LHW.

Yeah, the standard was set at that point. The belts mean less now because of the past five years.

You keep asking all these questions, so let me ask you a couple.

You keep using the word "privilege". This came from a mention of "Dana White Privilege", in which Tony Ferguson implied that Michael Chandler hadn't earned the right to his title shot.

Are you implying here that Conor McGregor hasn't earned what he has gotten in MMA?

You mentioned privilege due to PPV buys...... are you saying that he didn't earn his position as a big PPV draw?

That's a lovely post.

That's a lovely post.

You're not going to answer the questions? I answered all of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,616 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dana does have his favourites and those people are the biggest draws in the UFC.
    Conor McGregor is the biggest draw in the history of the franchise so he gets what he wants more than anybody else.
    Dana loves money more than anything else in the world.

• Advertisement

You're not going to answer the questions? I answered all of yours.

You actually didn't and I've lost interest in you as a result. Our conversation is over.

Advertisement