Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hogging a chargepoint

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ImARebel wrote: »
    I would go loopy if I'd paid for a car that wouldn't get me from A to B without stopping no matter how much money I was saving

To be on the road to Cork only to have to stop off, possibly get stuck behind some eejit like mentioned above and add an extra hour+ onto the journey with the kids screaming blue murder and the other half throwing me dirty looks for buying the car in the first place

instead of a fore court, I'd be heading to the divorce courts.

it's all grand in theory until you realise that any lengthy journey means a possible clash with a a$$hole (I'd have to find a public charger in cork too as the house at home wouldn't have one)

not for me I'm afraid

Does your home house not have a three pin plug you could reach?

Either way, I wouldn't advise buying an EV if you make long journeys with regularity unless you can afford at least a Kona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Wtf ? wrote: »
    Thank you, Address my extension lead theory ?
    Wtf ? wrote: »
    Is it not possible to ''Engineer'' an extension lead say 20' long and just bypass the hogger and just unplug him ? I know nothing re the etiquette of this ev thing ?

The lead gets locked in place in the charger and the car. At least that's how it worked with a Kia Niro PHEV I had for a few days last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I actually thought those EV parking spots in carparks were for all-day parking! I'm not even trolling. I just thought you went off to work or shopping or whatever you want to do and came back to a charged car when you were done (at your leisure) rather than returning in an hour to move it to a regular spot.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Either way, I wouldn't advise buying an EV if you make long journeys with regularity unless you can afford at least a Kona.

I'm looking at an i3 and do 200km trip west regularly enough. We are planning to run current car and the i3 for a while to see how we get on.

Not sure of the model range on the i3 yet. It'll be bought from a family member that's emigrating.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Good lad. You're paying for that privilege with between 7x and 10x the fuel costs, higher motor tax, higher servicing costs, and a vastly inferior driving experience. But if it works for you.

Petrol doesn't cost that much when you strip out government tax.
    Motor tax.. EVs use the road, tax them too and the government can raise even more revenue. (just maybe wait until more people have them before hiking tax and saying people need to use hydro powered cars or whatever the next scam will be)
    Servicing costs.. no idea if they're higher.
    Inferior driving experience... that would be the EVs. I like the growl my diesel makes.

• Advertisement

antix80 wrote: »
    I just thought you went off to work or shopping or whatever you want to do and came back to a charged car when you were done

Do you need much more than an hour to do your shopping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I would go loopy if I'd paid for a car that wouldn't get me from A to B without stopping no matter how much money I was saving

To be on the road to Cork only to have to stop off, possibly get stuck behind some eejit like mentioned above and add an extra hour+ onto the journey with the kids screaming blue murder and the other half throwing me dirty looks for buying the car in the first place

instead of a fore court, I'd be heading to the divorce courts.

it's all grand in theory until you realise that any lengthy journey means a possible clash with a a$$hole (I'd have to find a public charger in cork too as the house at home wouldn't have one)

not for me I'm afraid
    Unfortunately this is the reality of EV ownership at the moment in Ireland until the network is financed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Effects wrote: »
    I'm looking at an i3 and do 200km trip west regularly enough. We are planning to run current car and the i3 for a while to see how we get on.

Not sure of the model range on the i3 yet. It'll be bought from a family member that's emigrating.

If you have a second car then go for it, i3 is a great car. Is it a Rex model? If so then you won't have to worry about public chargers at all.

Do you need much more than an hour to do your shopping?

I've often gone for coffee, did some clothes shopping, met a friend for lunch.. could be parked up for hours.

Inferior driving experience... that would be the EVs. I like the growl my diesel makes.

What kind of diesel is that? If you had said the growl of a petrol engine, then maybe. I'd put driving experience down to more than just the sound of an engine myself.

• Advertisement

If you have a second car then go for it, i3 is a great car. Is it a Rex model? If so then you won't have to worry about public chargers at all.

Pretty sure it isn't a Rex model. It's used as a second car in London at the moment. So they never had plans to use it on longer journeys.

I've often gone for coffee, did some clothes shopping, met a friend for lunch.. could be parked up for hours.

Then it makes sense that you shouldn't leave it taking up a charge space when someone else probably needs it.
    I think that's part of the problem. People don't think about how to use the spots properly with consideration of other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

That doesn't make any sense. The noise of your car correlates with your experience? Motorhead at full volume and off you go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A nice growl? Horrific cancer causing sick sounding rattle of a large bag of broken spanners rubbing together more like. But I guess different strokes for different folks and all that...

Pretty sure it isn't a Rex model. It's used as a second car in London at the moment. So they never had plans to use it on longer journeys.
    Be careful, a lot of early i3 sold in UK cities did not come with DC fast charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

jerryg wrote: »
    I came across one of the worst cases of Hogging a charge point in Navan today when a person ahead of me in a new Black Nissan Leaf spent 55 minutes on the charger.I have an ev for nearly 3 years and this experience took the biscuit.
    I was down to10 percent so I had to wait,
    God help us all if we ever have a famine with such selfish people about.
    The sooner we have charging for charging the better!

I’m completely lost here.......
    If this man had another 100 km to get home surely he was entitled to charge his car fully???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭creedp

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    If this man had another 100 km to get home surely he was entitled to charge his car fully???

If is an NB word here

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A lot of people post about their bad experiences out of frustration giving the impression that we are all being hampered at chargers by ignoramuses who hog chargers without regard to anyone else. The reality is very different. Myself and my partner have two EVs, an Ioniq and a Leaf. The Ioniq is the main car and has brought us literally all over the country, with a little planning for the long journeys. It is rare to be hampered at a charger by a hogger and most people are very friendly, happy to chat, tell you they'll be done in 15 minutes (or whatever) or, if they are making a long stop, they might allow you to plug in for a while ahead of them - yes this has happened on more than one occasion.

My own rule of thumb would be if they are still actively charging then there is no issue with them being plugged in. If you really need the charge you'll just have to wait or in some cases, seek out the next closest one if it's free (and you can make it :D)

Travelling by EV is definitely something that takes getting used to if doing long journeys but we only do those in our leisure time, not for work, so we're never in too much of a hurry and are used to planning our charge stops now.

BENDYBINN wrote: »

There is no car that takes 55 minutes on a fast charger to get 100km

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

I find for a nation of people who supposedly have a good reputation for being friendly, generous and look after one another we are far from it underneath it all. For the most part there is a very prevalent 'mé féiner' attitude, put yourself in front of everyone no matter what. Queue skipping, nobody has a clue how to enter/exit public transport, walk into a very busy cafe/restaurant find half the tables are being held by someone while someone else is up getting food first while people stand there with trays of food already paid for looking for seats, not to mention kids screaming in restaurants (I have one by the way but dont bring him into restaurants), rubbish dumped everywhere...(had a skip rented a fortnight ago for a house move and overnight it was half full of other houses rubbish). All small stuff, but basically we have no understanding of consideration for others. I'd love to get an electric car but until there is some kind of formal charging system in place with penalties most likely I won't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Does your home house not have a three pin plug you could reach?

it does but I'd have to run a lead out an open window and we live in the middle of nowhere. parents have already been burgled once, I wouldn't even ask them to leave the window open whilst not there or at night while the car charges.

they worry enough about safety as it is - the joys of rural living :(

it's not that I do the journey that often but having to stop and charge (for me) would be a royal pain in the hole and it's generally in a place serving junk food, so the kids will be bawling looking for it and we spend the hour telling them no to maccy d's or whatever brand they can see...

which definitely has us in the "not talking " bracket by the time we get home :D

maybe I've pain in the hole kids, but such is life, lol. I gotta do the best I can with my lot :D:D

it does but I'd have to run a lead out an open window and we live in the middle of nowhere. parents have already been burgled once, I wouldn't even ask them to leave the window open whilst not there or at night while the car charges.

they worry enough about safety as it is - the joys of rural living :(

it's not that I do the journey that often but having to stop and charge (for me) would be a royal pain in the hole and it's generally in a place serving junk food, so the kids will be bawling looking for it and we spend the hour telling them no to maccy d's or whatever brand they can see...

which definitely has us in the "not talking " bracket by the time we get home :D

maybe I've pain in the hole kids, but such is life, lol. I gotta do the best I can with my lot :D:D

Hah yeah to be honest, even as someone who is delighted with their EV I wouldn't own it of I had to deal with that either :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

ELM327 wrote: »
    There is no car that takes 55 minutes on a fast charger to get 100km
    what about Leafgate?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It's understandable that with young kids you don't want to make a long journey even longer. The Applegreens which most of the motorway chargers are in, usually do have a Burger King with BK play area so you'd be in trouble there :D but some also have Freshii (a bit like Chopped), their own food counter (baked goods, tea, coffee plus their own "hot" food) plus a Costa. Freshii is the only healthy option there really and they don't all have them.

That doesn't make any sense. The noise of your car correlates with your experience? Motorhead at full volume and off you go...

I love the sound of a good engine myself!

miamee wrote: »
    It's understandable that with young kids you don't want to make a long journey even longer. The Applegreens which most of the motorway chargers are in, usually do have a Burger King with BK play area so you'd be in trouble there :D but some also have Freshii (a bit like Chopped), their own food counter (baked goods, tea, coffee plus their own "hot" food) plus a Costa. Freshii is the only healthy option there really and they don't all have them.

At the risk of sounding like a right miser, by the time I'd be finished getting coffees and feeding the rug rats I'd be down the guts of 20eur

I might as well be filling it with 20 eur of diesel or petrol

Hah yeah to be honest, even as someone who is delighted with their EV I wouldn't own it of I had to deal with that either :D

:D:D

that said if someone were to gift me a tesla, I'd find someway to make it work, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

NSAman wrote: »
    Went into a garage todaywas at 10% took 3 minutes to top up..was on the road again... the joys of petrol.

Yes, and how thrilled would you be if you went to your local petrol station, got in line at the pumps, and waited for someone who's got their petrol an hour ago to come back from walking the dog, and the other pumps similar...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Then it makes sense that you shouldn't leave it taking up a charge space when someone else probably needs it.
    I think that's part of the problem. People don't think about how to use the spots properly with consideration of other people.

If the charger is in a shop carpark then you can use it while you are there, they are for customers not people trying to top up electricity. The ones in petrol stations or services are for quick use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

When fast chargers fees come in, should the payments be time based or kW based or a, combination,
    If it was incremental something like up to 10mins free, up to 20 mins reasonable, up to 40 mins dear, and anything over that getting extortionate...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement