Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charleville Half, 15th September 2019

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Off work sick today and the number just popped through the letterbox :-(

Not sure how I feel about this and DCM now...training has already fallen off a cliff due to Achilles problem.

Had been targeting a PB in Charleville and a confidence booster ahead of Dublin....will be glad to finish now at this rate :-)

Any tips on parking in Charleville?

Still feeling meh but going to give it a go anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

There is a school up by the start line so should be parking there, that's my plan.

I take it we can collect our numbers that morning also.

There is a school up by the start line so should be parking there, that's my plan.

I take it we can collect our numbers that morning also.

Cheers.

I'm guessing you meant t-shirts collection (?) - numbers were posted out this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Cartman78 wrote:

Parking won't be an issue. Loads of places. Show up and abandon it. ;) Best of luck

• Advertisement

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Cheers.

I'm guessing you meant t-shirts collection (?) - numbers were posted out this week.

I never got my number? Collected it last year

I never got my number? Collected it last year

Don't mind me so...first time doing this race

Don't mind me so...first time doing this race

Checked their website and your right. Sent them an email. I am sure it be all ok. Don't think i care too much at this stage which is odd:eek:

Charleville not replying to emails at all. Facebook said to use their email.
    Very poor form

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrmoonlight

Still feeling meh but going to give it a go anyway :)
    There is a big dunnes stores multistory car park just near the race hq and start/finish line. No problems with parking

• Advertisement

Numbers and t-shirts can still be collected in hall next to the start line in the morning if it's anything like the previous years

They eventually got back to me. I had to fill another form out and bring my receipt of entry with me on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

Checked their website and your right. Sent them an email. I am sure it be all ok. Don't think i care too much at this stage which is odd:eek:
    Charleville not replying to emails at all. Facebook said to use their email.
    Very poor form
    They eventually got back to me. I had to fill another form out and bring my receipt of entry with me on Sunday.

You seem to be expecting that this is some sort of giant commerical operation with a call centre in India manning emails and phones 24 hours? Getting back to an email you sent yesterday afternoon before 8am the next morning hardly warrants "eventually" & "very poor form"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

My number arrived in the post on Thursday but unfortunately i'll be a DNS this time due to conflicting family events.

Best of luck to everybody doing this race on Sunday, hope it goes well despite any woes during training.

spc78 wrote: »
    You seem to be expecting that this is some sort of giant commerical operation with a call centre in India manning emails and phones 24 hours? Getting back to an email you sent yesterday afternoon before 8am the next morning hardly warrants "eventually" & "very poor form"

Compare to other races yes it is bad form. They have a facebook page where they don't answer questions, a twitter feed where they don't answer questions.

I have attended races run by smaller clubs where they have constant feed on facebook and twitter, its not that hard. This is standard these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

Compare to other races yes it is bad form. They have a facebook page where they don't answer questions, a twitter feed where they don't answer questions.

I have attended races run by smaller clubs where they have constant feed on facebook and twitter, its not that hard. This is standard these days!

I'm not sure where the requirement of a "constant feed" comes from? Again you seem to be of the opinion that a person constantly on social media is required rather than the ability to answer emails in a reasonable amount of time being enough.

Usually when a race has a constant social media presence its because they are trying to promote it and get more entries - its their method of advertising. Charleville has an entry cap and it fills.

Facebook stated contact them by email - you did - they answered. I still don't see the "poor form" in comparison to anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I'm excitedly nervous about this one🙂
    Not in great shape but will aim for another sub 1:30 and try not to fall on my ass like in Limerick.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I'm excitedly nervous about this one🙂
    Not in great shape but will aim for another sub 1:30 and try not to fall on my ass like in Limerick.....

Ah Jaysis, guaranteed to be a storm of some kind the night before so.........

Edit: Best of luck M!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to everyone this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Poor race from myself.... Sweating and working way to hard early on. 5 miles in backed off the pace and came home 1:34:xx....

Not sure where to go from here, I was confident of going sub 90 with a bit of effort but this has thrown me......

Poor race from myself.... Sweating and working way to hard early on. 5 miles in backed off the pace and came home 1:34:xx....

Not sure where to go from here, I was confident of going sub 90 with a bit of effort but this has thrown me......

The heat at the start was unexpectedly intense alright...I was sweating buckets for the first 5 miles as well.

Found the course to be a bit of a grind actually....lots of loooonng boring subtle drags.

1:33 myself which I'm pleased with given the way the last few weeks have gone.

Highlight of the day for me was meeting Jerry Kiernan before the race :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

Was hoping for Sub 1:30 myself and finished in 1:34
    Did Waterford and Limerick in 1:27 with half the training done. Dublin in 7 weeks. Don’t really know where it leaves me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Similar story here. Was sweating half a mile in and couldn’t cool down. Pulled the pace back after 4 miles as I knew I’d blow up other wise. Hoped to pick it up again but didn’t happen. Tough out there. Not sure where it puts me for DCM either but putting today behind me and will keep training and see closer to the time. Hopefully we get a nice cold day for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrmoonlight

Had a desaster of a race, sub 90 but fell way behind after kilmallock and really suffered with overheating. No PB for me! And Back to the drawing board now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sca21

Tough day at the office finished just under 1.37. Was hoping for a sub 1.35 give or take and was on track up to mile 7 I reckon. Pace slowed by 20 seconds per km. Bit disappointed to be honest. Dont know but I felt warm and tired throughout, a lot of mileage on the legs over last few weeks didn't help. The course was alright, a lot of long stretches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭opus

Was hoping to get under the 1:30 but missed it by ~10 secs, still happy with a bit of improvement from the Clonmel half. Very humid out there for sure.

Worst run of my life. Between falling off the 1:40 group.at 7k, blisters on my right foot.

Not sure where to go right now, running is just not happening over the last 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Great race once again.

Looks like i was not the only one to find it tough, Had a plan to go out behind the 1.25 pacers and aim to get under 1.28. But as per a few others i got very warm around 6 miles in and has to bring it back for the second half, But happy to finish 1.29.40 so just scraped in under 1.30. Thanks to the pacer.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Another one to have a bad day at the office. Was bang on target at the half way line but then the wheels came of. Was targeting low 1:27:xx but got home in 1:33 something. Had an awful nights sleep the night before and was sweating way too much in the warm-up so knew it would be a grind. Was way too hot and uncomfortable from early on but managed to soldier on until the 8 mile mark.

Still that's the thing about running, sometimes the uncontrollable's go wrong (too humid, etc). Important thing is to remember that these days happen, the training is still in the bank so chalk it down, pick another race and go again...

Sounds like we could have put together a decent sized 1:35 pacing group here if we'd put our heads together :D

Not feeling as crippled as I thought I would this morning - full race report over on my Running-Injury-Illness-Hypochondriac blog

• Advertisement
Advertisement