Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 coldbrain

I hope you hear soon. I had no idea it would be so.....challenging.

I applied the 14th of November. I was just on web chat with a staff member. He told me there doesn't seem to be a problem that end and I should contact Photo Me. I had some more questions so asked them but then I was thrown back in the queue :(

For Jaysus sake. I'm Irish and looking for an Irish passport. Can I not just send in my drivers license and a few pics of me on a night out :D

Haha.. yeah anyway now we have weeks and weeks before they start looking at applications. Since there was problem with garda log book entry with your application did they ask you to start the process all over again or asked you to just send that one again while they pause process? I saw in this thread for photo issues they just ask you to upload again and pause the process in middle and move from there once they received.

coldbrain wrote: »
    Haha.. yeah anyway now we have weeks and weeks before they start looking at applications. Since there was problem with garda log book entry with your application did they ask you to start the process all over again or asked you to just send that one again while they pause process? I saw in this thread for photo issues they just ask you to upload again and pause the process in middle and move from there once they received.

I contacted the photo booth operator and they had a look for me. They suggested I try again and it worked. Passport office sent me a new link to fill in my details again and add new photo. When I get the witness form signed I'll post it and hopefully that will be that. They have my other documents so I expect they are fine. It's not like I want to leave the country, I only want to get married :p

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Same level5 as before? Little or none passport processing? For new passports that is.

damianmcr wrote: »
    Same level5 as before? Little or none passport processing? For new passports that is.

Seems Zero processing. Completely closed. Our new passport is stuck now in the middle. Needed to travel jan 1st weekend. Hard to believe non essential retail can open but passport services won’t even when now things are online. But i see some of other civil services are working online although speed is slow which is understandable and fair given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

damianmcr wrote: »

I think the online renewals with perfect photographs go through. A few people said they got theirs during the last level 5.

• Advertisement

The saga continues this time due to my own wonky head. I completely forgot about the 7 day limit on the verification code. Its gone now so I will have to wait until February to try again.
    Perhaps the good people on Web Chat might be able to assist.

The saga continues this time due to my own wonky head. I completely forgot about the 7 day limit on the verification code. Its gone now so I will have to wait until February to try again.
    Perhaps the good people on Web Chat might be able to assist.

Ouch.. hoping that they open soon. Its bit crazy at the moment all non essential retail is open but passport office is not open for processing even though its zero interaction with public as everything is online or post. There are other civil services offices working during level 5 with reduced staff and extra social distancing measures. Bit of delays is fine but not entire system is closed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The passport office is open. It didn’t stop during the last level 5 and it won’t stop during this one (today is a bank holiday but it’ll be back tomorrow)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SMR007

Dodge wrote: »
    The passport office is open. It didn’t stop during the last level 5 and it won’t stop during this one (today is a bank holiday but it’ll be back tomorrow)
    That's good to hear Dodge. Any previous experience for you or you know someone with respect to this update if theirs was first passport. Usually I read renewals go through but not the first passport for child as they are complex process during lock down due to extra documents handling and return.

They have announced in the website and also told me when I contacted the customer service that all processing is paused. Would be great if they process slowly but steadily the ones that have been already lodged and in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

I assume you mean "to an EU country" when you say "to Europe". If so, you will not need 6 months validity on your Irish passport. It will be valid for travel to any EU country right up to the expiry date. The relevant thing is that the Irish passport is an EU passport, not that you happen to be flying from the UK.
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports/questions/passport-validity-needed-for-overseas-travel/
    "What validity do I need on my Irish passport for overseas travel?
    This depends on where you're travelling to.
    European Union
    Your Irish Passport must be valid up to your return date."

This is what I thought, I'm traveling with easyJet, I've received emails from them relating to my booking saying anyone traveling to the eu from Jan 1st must have six months on their passport, but I assume this is just for uk passport holders then!

• Advertisement

Any luck for anyone with passport application processing (especially first passport) during this level 5 as for some people it was processed during last lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Hi Passport people in the know :)

So I need to renew my son's passport but I can not even get a form sent to me. The web site is not functioning when I click on Child passport for Married Couple etc. I live in Germany so I sent a message to the embassy in Berlin. I got a automated email back linking the web site I wrote to them about not working. I got on to the Chat which was working at least. Sorry we can not send you a form as passport office is closed. I just want a form so I can have it ready when it does open. Go to your local Garda station he wrote. I am in Germany!!! Go to the embassy. It's 250km away and there is a lockdown. 15km max from home allowed. You will just have to wait I was told. I need the passport for travel to Poland as my Father in law lives alone there. We want to visit as soon as the lockdown ends.

So my questions are. If I get a family member to post a form over from a Garda station. Would it be the same form as used outside of Ireland and UK?

If I traveled with an out of date passport Could that be an issue with Polish police?

Thanks in advance.

Gar32

• Registered Users Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It seems they’ve stopped accepting online applications so this is all moot really but you should call, not email, the embassy in Berlin and explain the situation

The form is the same but as they’re not accepting applications, you’d be be better off waiting for the online system to come back on stream and use that

Poland is in Schengen area so there’s no border check with Germany but with COVID etc, no one can tell you *exactly* what will happen if Polish police look for ID...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

We did a child renewal and a new passport last week on the website, also from Germany . The witness form can be printed yourself and can be signed by a long list of people. We took the photos on the phone so saved on photographer costs.
    You can’t sent it in before ireland gets out of level 5 but at least you can have it ready to go.

Slight tangent but would your kid be entitled to a German passport? We haven’t bothered with the Irish passports for the kids since the first was a newborn as the German kinderreisepass is way more straight forward to get, with no need for getting a form signed by anyone and they will issue it on the spot at the city council office.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

We did a child renewal and a new passport last week on the website, also from Germany . The witness form can be printed yourself and can be signed by a long list of people. We took the photos on the phone so saved on photographer costs.
    You can’t sent it in before ireland gets out of level 5 but at least you can have it ready to go.

Slight tangent but would your kid be entitled to a German passport? We haven’t bothered with the Irish passports for the kids since the first was a newborn as the German kinderreisepass is way more straight forward to get, with no need for getting a form signed by anyone and they will issue it on the spot at the city council office.

Are they issued without parental consent?

yenom wrote: »
    Are they issued without parental consent?
    for each child you are making an application for, theres a form you print yourself which both guardians / parents sign in the presence of a witness, and the submitted photo is also on that self printed form which the witness confirms is your child.

Whether its a renewal or first time the form is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Page not found
    Due to the upgrade of the Department's website this page has moved or is currently not available.
    We apologise for any inconvenience.

This is the message when I try to get the form to download.

Any one got a link or a PDF of the form they could send to me please?

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/consent-for-children/#JointStatutory site is not work

Many thanks

gar32 wrote: »
    Page not found
    Due to the upgrade of the Department's website this page has moved or is currently not available.
    We apologise for any inconvenience.

This is the message when I try to get the form to download.

Any one got a link or a PDF of the form they could send to me please?

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/consent-for-children/#JointStatutory site is not work

Many thanks
    from looking into it for myself, I was told that if you are applying the old fashioned way you need an original form (ie printed by the printers) that you get from the passport office or an embassy abroad.

on the other hand, if you have made an application online you get a personalised pre-filled out consent form with all your details on it to download, and its also sent by e-mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jembop

Hope I'm posting this in the right place, I wondered if someone could help clear this confusion up for me please.

My mum was born in Northern Ireland but moved to England as a child. I live in England.

She only claimed her first Irish passport 2 years ago, prior to that she only held a UK passport.

Both of her parents were born in Ireland (Dublin and Belfast). Not sure where their birth certificates are.

My mum presumably had the right to Irish citizenship, being born there to Irish parents, but as she was in UK when I was born, do I need to apply on the Foreign Births Register before I can apply for my own Irish passport?

I have read conflicting things.

And are my children, age 8 and 5, eligible for an Irish passport? Their father has no Irish ascendants.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Jembop wrote: »
    Hope I'm posting this in the right place, I wondered if someone could help clear this confusion up for me please.

My mum was born in Northern Ireland but moved to England as a child. I live in England.

She only claimed her first Irish passport 2 years ago, prior to that she only held a UK passport.

Both of her parents were born in Ireland (Dublin and Belfast). Not sure where their birth certificates are.

My mum presumably had the right to Irish citizenship, being born there to Irish parents, but as she was in UK when I was born, do I need to apply on the Foreign Births Register before I can apply for my own Irish passport?

And are my children, age 8 and 5, eligible for an Irish passport? Their father has no Irish ascendants.

Thanks

You don't need FBR (you are born abroad to a parent born in Ireland, no distinction between NI and Republic is made for these purposes). Your kids need FBR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bigbadpat

Jembop wrote: »

Thanks

All applications (Passports, Foreign Births etc) are on hold due to Covid-19 level 5 restrictions. In the meantime you could get all your paperwork together and write to

a) The Secretary General, Passport Office. Knockmaun House, 42-47 Mount Street Lower, Dublin, D02 TN83 IRELAND
    OR
    b) You can contact them through their Customer Service Hub available via the link https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/

This could be a slow process - Expect a long delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

Hi All

Passport has expired and just wondering have the expiry dates been extended like the licenses were during the last lock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

capefear wrote: »
    Hi All

Passport has expired and just wondering have the expiry dates been extended like the licenses were during the last lock down.

License extension was only recognised within the Country. Not much use with a passport. So no.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Swamp3

capefear wrote: »
    Hi All

My passport expired in 2017.
    I completed the online renewal on 4/2/21. Passport arrived in the post on 11/2/21.
    All done online. All you need is your old passport and a smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

Hello! Just wondering what the situation is with a lost passport card - is this as serious a misstep as losing a passport book, as in could it effect the validity of future documents issued by the DFA? Not that I’ve actually heard of this, only the threat of it on the website and hearsay.

My card is up for renewal summer 2022 anyway, so if I say nothing will I get to renew without a bad mark against my name, or will there be a requirement to send back the old card before a renewal is processed?

As an aside - are passport cards still valid if you lose your passport book which they were issue under?

Many questions - any help much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kajzer

Does anyone know when is the Passport office returning to normal work? I know they're processing applications etc, but we applied for our son's first passport back in October when we were in level 5, they only started processing the application when we went down to level 3 I think. Then we had to send in supporting documentation, but we went back into level 5 and as far as I know they don't open letters? All documentation should be fine now, but they won't process further until we're out of level 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi - about to renew my Passport due to run out end of April. Quick question..

1. Any recommendations of an App to take my own picture on my Iphone 11
    2. If using my own pic..... does this dispense with needing to get a Garda to sign a picture like in the old paper application??
    3. Is there still any need to get a Garda signature when doing it all online??

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭1dave123

Hi - I am no expert but

1. An iphone 11 picture should be perfectly fine. No special app needed.
    2. & 3. No garda involvement required at all.

Assumes u are doing this all online.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

1dave123 wrote: »
    Hi - I am no expert but

1. An iphone 11 picture should be perfectly fine. No special app needed.
    2. & 3. No garda involvement required at all.

Assumes u are doing this all online.

Cheers

Many thanks...... YES all to be done online if possible.

regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭poker--addict

kajzer wrote: »
    Does anyone know when is the Passport office returning to normal work? I know they're processing applications etc, but we applied for our son's first passport back in October when we were in level 5, they only started processing the application when we went down to level 3 I think. Then we had to send in supporting documentation, but we went back into level 5 and as far as I know they don't open letters? All documentation should be fine now, but they won't process further until we're out of level 5?

This seems to be correct.

😎

Advertisement