Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How rare is it to see a badger?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Seve OB wrote: »
    Apparently if they bite you they will not let go, kinda lock jaw. They wait to hear a snap of breaking bone. You are supposed to snap a branch or twig to get them to release. Apparently anyway.
    Urban myth.
    c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Though that was Beaver's
    pburns wrote: »
    An old forester told me they used to carry sticks they could snap if badger caught their ankle as they wouldn't let go until they heard bone snap...
    There seems to have been many stories of Badgers not letting go until they hear a bone break, the most popular one I heard from old fellas when I was growing up was put coal cinders in your boots and when the badger hears them being crushed he'll then let go of his bite.

Imagine walking around the countryside with cinders in your wellies on the off chance a badger jumps out and bites your ankle. Jesus fellas must have been fairly paranoid.

All great stuff :D Interestingly, I was given the exact same sort of insight, half a century ago, as gods honest truth, by a man who must have learned it half a century before telling me.

Only, his version centred on Otters! He said how Otter Hunters had a special pouch made into the front of their boots. And they'd fill it with charcoal / coke / cinders, what ever. Because the otter would bite till it heard / felt bone break.

As said; 'Urban Myth'.

And, as anyone with a grain of sense would now know; The only animals whose jaws lock, when they bite, are 'Bull' terriers and ferrets! :P

if in doubt? please use a metal detector to discern the iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Stigura wrote: »
    All great stuff :D Interestingly, I was given the exact same sort of insight, half a century ago, as gods honest truth, by a man who must have learned it half a century before telling me.

Only, his version centred on Otters! He said how Otter Hunters had a special pouch made into the front of their boots. And they'd fill it with charcoal / coke / cinders, what ever. Because the otter would bite till it heard / felt bone break.

As said; 'Urban Myth'.

And, as anyone with a grain of sense would now know; The only animals whose jaws lock, when they bite, are 'Bull' terriers and ferrets! :P

if in doubt? please use a metal detector to discern the iron.

Yea lots of those myths still being told in modern times. Like bats getting tangled in your hair, and rats/Mink going for your neck if you corner them lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wibago

I have a badger skull that's missing a canine and the center teeth between the top and bottom canines. Is there something to use to make fairly realistic-looking teeth? It's a Honey Badger, so I'm not sure if American Badger teeth would even be big enough for replacements.

Advertisement