Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How rare is it to see a badger?

Options
  • 21-03-2019 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭

I’ve never seen a live badger so are there any good places in Dublin/Wicklow/Wexford where it might be possible to see them?

Unfortunately at this time of the year there are plenty of them at the side of the road having been knocked down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭bb12

i've seen them out rummaging around fields at night time. however i pity them when the clock goes forward in a few weeks. screws them up time wise as they try to keep away from humans and a lot get killed on the roads at the end of march as the cars are out an hour earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Rare enough I'd say. I've seen one once galloping away from me. Wouldn't blame him in fairness. And I'm always on the look out for them where I walk, so no, rare enough site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are common and widespread. Seeing them is simple if you a) know where to look and b) go at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

They are common and widespread. Seeing them is simple if you a) know where to look and b) go at the right time.

Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've never seen one in a typical woodland setting, but then I've probably not been in the right place / time for that either. Would love to be in a position to observe a sett when they're active around it (at dusk?) though.

The only times I've ever seen them have been in open uplands, once in Wicklow and once in the Mournes. They were fairly skinny, rough looking examples, not at all what I envisaged them to look like. I've also come across badger setts in places in the hills in Ireland where I was surprised they'd be able to eke out even the slimmest existence in terms of food supply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Only ever saw one once, as a young child, frightened the life out of me

Any tips?

If there's no local nature group, ask landowners. Many farmers are aware of setts on their land and will give permission to go have a look. Get there an hour before dusk, keep concealed and down wind from the sett, and wait it out - check it out in day light beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

I have seen one live last year in Wicklow. And seen several roadkills which looked like badgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

I've never actually seen one in the wild, apparently there vicious?
    More likely to see a fox or Pine Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I saw three together about three years ago on the country lane where I used to live. Typically I couldn’t get the phone out of my pocket quick enough to take a picture, I was driving at the time. Regularly see them as roadkill though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

I have a camera set up in our garden. This clip was captured last September.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Aw1cPusuPQopVvur6

IrishLad90 wrote: »

I’ve seen a Pine Martin leaving my garden in Wexford.

See foxes all the time in Dublin.

That’s fantastic.

How much did the camera cost? Would love to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Very impressive,

IrishLad90 wrote: »

No, they are most certainly not vicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Was about to suggest a camera .... we had a trail camera set up at bottom of garden and left out food and we got fox’s , badgers and hedgehogs.
    Google what a badgers set looks like and keep an eye out on your walks for similar...then you will have to keep an eye out at right time of day.
    I have only seen two alive in the flesh...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Only ever saw one once, as a young child, frightened the life out of me
    Oh wait, actually I saw one last year too! In the city (Vienna) outskirts no less. Saw it first from behind and thought it was a big bushy cat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I saw one once on my Grannys farm , just before dusk it wandered across the lane in front of her house in rural galway .
    was surprised how big it was

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Saw one in broad daylight a few weeks ago on a friends farm. His family members said they had seen it the night before near the road and suspected it got clipped by a car. They couldn't find it when they were looking the next morning, later in the day I was down a separate part of the yard and there it was sitting on the hedge above me. After a few trips over and back of us looking at it the badger moved on to somewhere quieter as it was gone when I returned later. First time in my life I've seen one alive and stood only a few meters away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

I saw one about 7.30 one summers evening on Terenure Rd West in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

bb12 wrote: »
    i've seen them out rummaging around fields at night time. however i pity them when the clock goes forward in a few weeks. screws them up time wise as they try to keep away from humans and a lot get killed on the roads at the end of march as the cars are out an hour earlier.

Did the EU change that,,, so clocks won't change anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I have been looking for one too...some users kindly invited me to some places but mainly away from where I live so I will take them up on the offer when I am in their area.

A friend got one in her garden near town and the badger had to get rescue as he could not get out. He got great views.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

I see them regularly enough in the phoenix park, best was summer 2017 - at dusk, a whole family scuttled past me and ran alongside the fence of the zoo for 20-30 meters before going into the zoo. I was (am still!) gobsmacked...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

bb12 wrote: »
    Keplar240B wrote: »
    Did the EU change that,,, so clocks won't change anymore?

I don't believe the clocks changing has anything to do with badgers being killed on the road.:confused:

Eddie B wrote: »
    I don't believe the clocks changing has anything to do with badgers being killed on the road.:confused:

Absolutely. Peak road deaths for Badgers is late spring and early summer. This is when they have cubs and travel further for food, which involves crossing roads.

Absolutely. Peak road deaths for Badgers is late spring and early summer. This is when they have cubs and travel further for food, which involves crossing roads.

Yes true. But what has that got to do with changing of the clocks?

Nothing. I was agreeing with you and stating the cause - which is not clocks changing.

Nothing. I was agreeing with you and stating the cause - which is not clocks changing.

Apologies, read your post wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

As the badgers don't change their 'clock', traffic volume around dawn/dusk will be different after we change. This could affect the number of road deaths.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I’ve never seen a live badger so are there any good places in Dublin/Wicklow/Wexford where it might be possible to see them?

Unfortunately at this time of the year there are plenty of them at the side of the road having been knocked down.

About 30 years ago, I used to see them quite frequently at night. They would come and eat food from the cats dish outside the kitchen window. Haven`t seen them sinse.

Advertisement