Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Igotadose wrote: »
    Excellent pitching matchup tonight. Too bad it's on so late local time. Tomorrow's game will be on Youtube/mlb, 1p.m. Eastern time

Will be watching. Should be a corker. Mets have our number all year though so wouldnt be surprised if you guys get another W there, although with Max we always have a chance, hopefully they let him go further than 4 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Will be watching. Should be a corker. Mets have our number all year though so wouldnt be surprised if you guys get another W there, although with Max we always have a chance, hopefully they let him go further than 4 tonight.

Yeah, too bad Mets can't get past Atlanta. Division would be much tighter.

IMO neither de Grom nor Scherzer deserve the Cy Young this year. Ryu in LA seems pretty much invincible and had head-shake stats, especially in this gopher-ball year. I'd say a tossup between de Grom and Scherzer, some plusses to Scherzer due to more wins (I'm old - wins matter). But Ryu's been remarkable all season.

Yeah, too bad Mets can't get past Atlanta. Division would be much tighter.

IMO neither de Grom nor Scherzer deserve the Cy Young this year. Ryu in LA seems pretty much invincible and had head-shake stats, especially in this gopher-ball year. I'd say a tossup between de Grom and Scherzer, some plusses to Scherzer due to more wins (I'm old - wins matter). But Ryu's been remarkable all season.

I'm biased but Sherzer has been incredible 200 strikeouts in 22 games compared to 214 in 27 for Degrom. He's allowed less hits, less runs and less ER in those games across the board even adjusted for less games. Max is just being Max though , he is the definition of when extraordinary becomes normal for me as a Nats fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Max has had a Max year I’d agree but he missed a month of the season and that might count against him (although I don’t know historically has missing 1/6th of the season or 4 or 5 starts affected previous years)

Max has had a Max year I’d agree but he missed a month of the season and that might count against him (although I don’t know historically has missing 1/6th of the season or 4 or 5 starts affected previous years)

Ryu has also given up 7 runs in 3 games this year, imagine his stats without those aberations. Plus he's been shockingly bad in his last three starts.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/SethDRothman/status/1168660237190082563

That's some record for the Yankees. I wonder how many times the Mets got shut out in that period.

Edwin Diaz again...!!

No Cy Young performance from either starter tonight it seems. But typical bullpen effort from both, especially the Mets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Edwin Diaz again...!!

I saw someone refer to the Mariners-Mets trade as the Kelenic Heist. Hard to disagree with that statement.

I saw someone refer to the Mariners-Mets trade as the Kelenic Heist. Hard to disagree with that statement.

Definitely. When Kelenic reaches the majors, it’s going to go down as the best/worst trade ever - depending on which side you’re on.

MLB teams leading by 6 or more going into the 9th were 274-0 before the Mets last night ...

• Advertisement

MLB teams leading by 6 or more going into the 9th were 274-0 before the Mets last night ...

Those 274 teams didn’t have Edwin Diaz on their rosters. Although to be fair, he wasn’t the worst culprit last night.

Those 274 teams didn’t have Edwin Diaz on their rosters. Although to be fair, he wasn’t the worst culprit last night.

last night was collective for sure. Bit of belief in these Nats right now though.

last night was collective for sure. Bit of belief in these Nats right now though.

Bullpen was bad last night for your guys too last night though. Had the Mets not melted down, the Nats giving up 6 runs in the 8/9th would be the news. Despite the improvements, the relievers haven’t proven themselves yet.

Just shows there's no such thing as momentum or 'games that change a season' in baseball. After the worst loss in the history of the world/best win ever* last night (depending on who you support), the Mets come back and beat the Nats today. Happy with winning the series but I'm going to have nightmares about last night's game for a long time.

* might be a bit of an exaggeration

I noticed they didn't give Diaz the ball today.

I noticed they didn't give Diaz the ball today.

Diaz is on a boat somewhere in the Atlantic now.

I just read as well that on the day they gave up 7 runs in the 9th, their AAA team in a one game decider to get into the playoffs did one better and gave up 8 to give a walk off to the Yankees affiliate.

Yep Sanchez as playing tough as well for the last few months. Good win for the Mets yesterday. Disappointing that the Nats didnt get the win but keep going , playoffs within touching distance just need to stay the course.

Diaz again!

Diaz again!

Tied for the record for most home runs allowed in the 9th inning.

Since 1900. With 22 games left.

Diaz and Familia have been in like, 59 and 55 games each respectively. Crazy.

More proof that pitcher wins is the stupidest stat in baseball in that Diaz got the 'w' last night.

• Advertisement

More proof that pitcher wins is the stupidest stat in baseball in that Diaz got the 'w' last night.

Am liking the new proposed Mets bullpen that have Diaz and Familia as long relief (6th, 7th innings) only, and Wilson/Lugo for the back part of the games. How many times must we Met fans run head first into the nearest concrete wall with Diaz failing to close and Familia giving up runs. Can't really remember a closer as truly awful as Diaz, Met's haven't had a history of great closers (Armando Benitez, John Franco, Billy Wagner), but usually they're not this disastrous.

Am liking the new proposed Mets bullpen that have Diaz and Familia as long relief (6th, 7th innings) only, and Wilson/Lugo for the back part of the games. How many times must we Met fans run head first into the nearest concrete wall with Diaz failing to close and Familia giving up runs. Can't really remember a closer as truly awful as Diaz, Met's haven't had a history of great closers (Armando Benitez, John Franco, Billy Wagner), but usually they're not this disastrous.

Maybe not a bad idea

https://twitter.com/michaelgbaron/status/1170332775804747776

Pain in the arse giving up one potentially of the best prospects in the league for a 6th/7th inning reliever though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

At this stage should the Mets just have their own thread on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I like your thinking😀

8-10 wrote: »
    At this stage should the Mets just have their own thread on here?

I think what's happening is that the Mets seem to be the only team with more than one regular poster here (there's 3 of us at least). Most of the other regular posters are the only fan of their team so there's not as much back and forth when they post something.

ShyMets wrote: »
    I like your thinking��

Anyone's free to set up a thread if they like but I don't think there's enough of use here to have a thread for the teams that are represented here.

I think what's happening is that the Mets seem to be the only team with more than one regular poster here (there's 3 of us at least). Most of the other regular posters are the only fan of their team so there's not as much back and forth when they post something.

I think that's exactly what's happening. I don't mind it because I like to talk baseball no matter who the teams are.

I think that's exactly what's happening. I don't mind it because I like to talk baseball no matter who the teams are.

Yeah, I'm the same. I try and throw my tuppence in on other teams as well but my knowledge will only only be minimal so it won't be the same back and forth as if it were two Cubs fans or fans of two rivals going at it.

I think us Mets fans are used to pain and misery so probably post a bit more, sort of like therapy...!!!! We need more miserable fans on here, don't just be posting when your team is on an 8-2 stretch. Come on and rant when they lose 5 in a row.

In other news, Red Sox v Yankees is this week's Sunday night game AGAIN.

Surely one of the team in the wild card hunt would have been a better option. Nationals v Braves for example. I know it's all about ratings but every time there's a weekend series between these two it's automatically the Sunday night game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Network is going to get more revenue from ads from that matchup.

MLB is also going back up against NFL from this week so they need that marquee matchup, especially when SNF is Steelers @ Pats this week.

Advertisement