Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Are you all dead?

Which islands are called Eileanan nan Caorach in Scottish Gaelic?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,110 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Dunno about dead, but there don't seem to be many of us about!

No idea of the answer to the question, but thanks for posting it!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

(I must learn to read the questions properly...)

Of course the answer to the question 'are you all dead?' the answer is 'no'.

Do I get brownie points and a question for that? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Sheep Island?

• Advertisement

enfield wrote: »
    Sheep Island?

FYP

No but it translates literally as that, save for the FYP. It would be Oileàin na gCaorach in Irish.

Try again.

Come on folks. It's British overseas.

Google translate claims the Irish translates as Sheep Islanders, but I think you may have to tell us as it doesn't look as though you have any takers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Faroes?

looksee wrote: »
    Google translate claims the Irish translates as Sheep Islanders, but I think you may have to tell us as it doesn't look as though you have any takers :D

We're talking Scottish Gaelic, not Irish. Their name in Irish is taken from the English, though I have heard one or two people who wouldn't be renowned Anglophiles call them something else in Irish.

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    We're talking Scottish Gaelic, not Irish. Their name in Irish is taken from the English, though I have heard one or two people who wouldn't be renowned Anglophiles call them something else in Irish.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Faroes?

No. As I said, British overseas.

FYP

No but it translates literally as that, save for the FYP. It would be Oileàin na gCaorach in Irish.

Try again.

That's the one I was referring to?

That's the one I was referring to?

Sorry. We're at cross purposes. I was simply translating the Scottish Gaelic name literally to Irish but that is not what they are called in Irish. The islands are not Irish.

P.S. There are a few islands called Sheep island (singular) but these are plural.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

P.S. There are a few islands called Sheep island (singular) but these are plural.

Sheeps Island? :pac:

Guessing to be honest - British Virgin islands?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Falklands perhaps?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Falklands perhaps?

Correct. Well done. I heard an Irish speaking lawyer consistently refer to them as "na Malvinas", while the recognised name in Irish is Oileáin Fhaclainne. ( and to so refer to them at the height of the hostilities.) It's struck me that the Scottish Gaels have a nice, neutral name. Maybe the Gaels of Ireland should copy it.

Your question, please?

I owe ye a question.....
    Who is William Michael Albert Broad better known as?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Robin Hood?

No, much more recent

I owe ye a question.....
    Who is William Michael Albert Broad better known as?

I think thats enough time. Its Billy Idol. Heres another one:

Whats the original name of the hospital in South Africa where the first heart transplant was performed? Its had its name changed since.

• Advertisement

Oooh thats a bit hard Bonzodog, I could tell you who did it! When was it? Mid 60s?

Oooh thats a bit hard Bonzodog, I could tell you who did it! When was it? Mid 60s?

December 1967

I think thats enough time. Its Billy Idol. Heres another one:

Whats the original name of the hospital in South Africa where the first heart transplant was performed? Its had its name changed since.

After a little google, the hospital I'm looking for is still called the same, but theres a new one named after the surgeon. I heard the name on the radio a few months back and thought they had renamed it in his honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

The spelling is probably wrong, because I don't have the Afrikaans - but it's along the lines of Groot Schuur.

I recall doing a paper round, and reading about the transplant as I went from house to house. I still also recall the names of Christiaan Barnard and Louis Washkansky.

Well remembered nompere!

Who wrote fiction featuring characters named Quin and Satterthwaite?

nompere wrote: »
    Who wrote fiction featuring characters named Quin and Satterthwaite?

Agatha Christie?

Very good.

How many syllables make up a Haiku?

• Advertisement

Five syllables here
    Seven more syllables there
    Are you happy now?

Advertisement