Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding an inch to irons

Options
  • 16-03-2019 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Just back from a lesson and being 6ft 3 pro said I should look at adding an inch to the irons. Anyone get this done before? Is it dear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You'll need the lie and face angle modified also btw

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

An inch feels longer than you would think . I’m 6 ,2 and had an inch added years ago . The longer irons felt quite long to me
    Iv gone to half an inch longer than standard now . Feels more comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

jclack wrote: »
    Just back from a lesson and being 6ft 3 pro said I should look at adding an inch to the irons. Anyone get this done before? Is it dear?

I'm same height and have been told the same. I dunno though, I'm quite happy with the way I hit my irons and figure I would need to to make changes to my swing if I lengthen them. I don't think think it should cost too much though. I'm going to talk to my club pro about it next week, he does fittings as well so I'll see what he says

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I'm same height and got 1.5" on length and loft/ lie adjusted to suit. I got it done in spawell golf centre. My grips were perfect so didn't need to replace them and I think it was about 80/90 euro for 7 irons.

Its worth noting that its not just height that determines club length. I'd you are tall but have equally long arms for example then you can probably use standard shafts. Same if you have short legs but long torso or arms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jclack

Any recommendations on where to get this done in Dublin? Never had to get something like this done before and wasn't sure about likes of mcguirks was the best shout with the kids working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Add an inch to irons?? Jesus if be looking for at least a few yards extra carry...

I'll get my coat....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

It's not a good idea to extend irons by an inch, for a couple of reasons, one when an extension is added there is a chance it can break, having a shaft break under the grip is not a pleasant experience and two the balance of the club will be effected greatly, an inch means an extra 6 swingweights so the club will feel quite a bit different.

It would be much better getting a set that have been built an inch longer from the start.

GreeBo wrote: »
    You'll need the lie and face angle modified also btw

Why does the face angle need to be modified and how is that done on an iron?

Why does the face angle need to be modified and how is that done on an iron?

Changing the lie angle changes the face angle, just like on a sidehill lie.
    When making adjustments you need to adjust everything to keep the face square.

Its done the same as any adjustment worth noting that cast club's usually only allow 2 degrees of change.

• Advertisement

Changing the lie angle changes the face angle, just like on a sidehill lie.
    When making adjustments you need to adjust everything to keep the face square.

Its done the same as any adjustment worth noting that cast club's usually only allow 2 degrees of change.

You're incorrect, changing the lie angle changes the face plane tilt which is not the same as the face angle. Face plane tilt is the combination of lie angle and loft.

You're also incorrect about how much cast clubs can be adjusted. Casting and forging are manufacturing techniques and don't have any bearing on how much a club can be adjusted, the metal in the head determines how easily they can be changed, softer metals are more readily adjusted. Vokey Wedges are cast clubs but can be adjusted easily because the metal is soft in the heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Can I ask what seems to be an obvious question to me, but maybe I'm missing something. If the OP's clubs are regular length off the shelf clubs that haven't been adjusted for lie, adding length shouldn't require a lie angle adjustment. Surely it would give a more 'normal' lie angle? And is why he's been advised to have them lengthened.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Can I ask what seems to be an obvious question to me, but maybe I'm missing something. If the OP's clubs are regular length off the shelf clubs that haven't been adjusted for lie, adding length shouldn't require a lie angle adjustment. Surely it would give a more 'normal' lie angle? And is why he's been advised to have them lengthened.

With a longer club the effective lie angle changes, the measurement will be the same but it will play like it is more upright. The opposite then will happen for a shorter club. (just think how during a set the clubs get shorter and the lie angles get more upright, this is to give the same effective lie angle through the set)

He might need a lie angle adjustment but he might not, it will depend on whether or not the ball flight curve changes.

You're incorrect, changing the lie angle changes the face plane tilt which is not the same as the face angle. Face plane tilt is the combination of lie angle and loft.

You're also incorrect about how much cast clubs can be adjusted. Casting and forging are manufacturing techniques and don't have any bearing on how much a club can be adjusted, the metal in the head determines how easily they can be changed, softer metals are more readily adjusted. Vokey Wedges are cast clubs but can be adjusted easily because the metal is soft in the heads.

Face plane tilt is the direction the face points in due to loft and lie angle.

Look, you know that more than the lie angle needs to be adjusted so i don't know why you are trying to be so pissy about it.

https://www.mitchellgolf.com/bending-golf-clubs-facts-fallacies/
    When you bend the hosel toward or away from the face plane you open or close the club’s face angle.

Only if he wants to start standing further from the ball or more upright.

It would depend on his current and desired setup, does he stand too close now because they are too short or is he too bent over for example.

Face plane tilt is the direction the face points in due to loft and lie angle.

Look, you know that more than the lie angle needs to be adjusted so i don't know why you are trying to be so pissy about it.

https://www.mitchellgolf.com/bending-golf-clubs-facts-fallacies/

There is no harm in using the correct terminology, the face angle can be changed with drivers and woods, this is what most of the adjustable hosels do. However face angles aren't changed on irons, you're suggested that they should be and I'm asking you how that is done.

There is no harm in using the correct terminology, the face angle can be changed with drivers and woods, this is what most of the adjustable hosels do. However face angles aren't changed on irons, you're suggested that they should be and I'm asking you how that is done.

I was letting the op know that they likely needed more than just an inch added to the shafts.

Bending the club head up or down at the hosel impacts where the face points so you bend the club more than just up or down to correct this. The direction the face points is the face angle... adjusting the face plane tilt changes the face angle so you already know how to do this.

I was letting the op know that they likely needed more than just an inch added to the shafts.

Bending the club head up or down at the hosel impacts where the face points so you bend the club more than just up or down to correct this. The direction the face points is the face angle... adjusting the face plane tilt changes the face angle so you already know how to do this.

I'm not understanding what you mean by bending the club more then just up or down?

If an iron head is clamped, the lie angle is changed by bending up and down, the loft is changed by bending forwards and backwards. What other type of bending is done and have you seen someone do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abugarcia

Some good advice given here. There is so much information on google that we can all regurgitate. Having an understanding though and knowing how it applies can be quite different.

Only advice I’d have is make sure your comfortable with holding a club that is an inch long. The ping static measurement chart will show you a recommended lie&lenght depending on your height and wrist to floor numbers.

Only if he wants to start standing further from the ball or more upright.

It would depend on his current and desired setup, does he stand too close now because they are too short or is he too bent over for example.
    That's what I was thinking. That he's making an adjustment in his stance to cater for the short shaft. And that the extra length will allow him a more 'natural' stance. So maybe no need to change anything other than the length and how he stands over the ball.

• Advertisement

That's what I was thinking. That he's making an adjustment in his stance to cater for the short shaft. And that the extra length will allow him a more 'natural' stance. So maybe no need to change anything other than the length and how he stands over the ball.

It depends on what adjustment he is making though, it would be (arguably!) easier to bend over less rather than get used to standing further away, but as we don't know why he needs the inch added its all conjecture.

I'd want to know why the inch was recommended by the pro, "you are tall" doesn't do it for me for the reasons mentioned earlier.

Abugarcia wrote: »
    Some good advice given here. There is so much information on google that we can all regurgitate. Having an understanding though and knowing how it apples can be quite different.

Only advice I’d have is make sure your comfortable with holding a club that is an inch long. The ping static measurement chart will show you a recommended lie&lenght depending on your height and wrist to floor numbers.

This is by far the most important aspect to it all.

It depends on what adjustment he is making though, it would be (arguably!) easier to bend over less rather than get used to standing further away, but as we don't know why he needs the inch added its all conjecture.

I'd want to know why the inch was recommended by the pro, "you are tall" doesn't do it for me for the reasons mentioned earlier.
    Yeah, I get that. And one assumes that the pro knows what they are looking at/for and are advising accordingly. The OP could be standing too close to the ball and not geting a full swing as a result. or bending too much at the waist and having a very toe up lie angle. My advice would be for the OP to clarify with the pro whether it's just the ahaft length he needs or also lie angle as well. Dangerous for us to make recommendations when we don't know what the pro actually advised or what he's seen that needs fixing.

Any good pro will only advise on going longer if they need it from a height point of view, which in turn ties into an effective postural position.

Standing to close or to far away is more of a technical issue. A club that is shorter will usually have the golfer more slumped over the ball with a low hand position. There are a number of variables that can apply. Generally the length of the golf club can be the most important setup of your clubs as it can have the greatest effect on your swing.

Standing to close or to far away is more of a technical issue. A club that is shorter will usually have the golfer more slumped over the ball with a low hand position.
    Well if its shorter you can "correct" the lie angle by standing closer, if its too long you can similarly address it by standing further away.
    If you are the correct distance and not too upright or bent over then its off to a bender with you! :D

Well if its shorter you can "correct" the lie angle by standing closer, if its too long you can similarly address it by standing further away.
    If you are the correct distance and not too upright or bent over then its off to a bender with you! :D

Well unfortunately not,
    Your talking about static length and lie angle! Dynamically is a hole diffident ball game. That’s why static measurements is only a guide line. Length is always fitted before lie angle..

Well unfortunately not,
    Your talking about static length and lie angle! Dynamically is a hole diffident ball game. That’s why static measurements is only a guide line. Length is always fitted before lie angle..

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with here...can you elaborate pls?

How do you fit for length if not based on a persons setup to the ball?
    Their height is not the key measurement.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with here...can you elaborate pls?

How do you fit for length if not based on a persons setup to the ball?
    Their height is not the key measurement.

If your asking a question like that I’m not sure you understand the basics of club fitting. And yes there height is there key measurement when determining length unless your fixing a fault with a fault. There is a reason every manufacturer fits off two measurements when determining the length & lie of a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jclack

Thanks for all the responses guys.

He has changed my stance, I'm now standing further away from the ball and having my hands slightly lower. He only mentioned about the length and didn't make any comment on the lie as he seems to think I'm compensating for short clubs by standing too close. He's a very good instructor and i think he can do the lengthening himself so will get it done by him in a few weeks after I get a bit more comfortable with the new set up.

• Advertisement

If your asking a question like that I’m not sure you understand the basics of club fitting. And yes there height is there key measurement when determining length unless your fixing a fault with a fault. There is a reason every manufacturer fits off two measurements when determining the length & lie of a club.

height ignores the length or your arms and the ratio of torso to legs, so is not much use when determining the correct length of clubs.
    If Im 5 foot tall but have tiny arms I probably need longer than standard clubs, likewise if I'm 7 foot but have long arms and short legs I might need shorter than standard. Your height is not the overriding factor, its how far your hands are from the ground, unless you are using something else to hold the club of course...

Following your point you would fit this lady for extra long irons....do you think it would help?
    thailand-long-neck-tribe.jpg?filename=web_review&dw=960

Advertisement