Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bawn Motors raided by CAB&Garda

Options
  • 15-03-2019 9:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Place was raided today know a few people who got cars there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shadow22

bigpink wrote: »

Hi. I got a car there on finance. Knew they were dodgy. Can I wriggle my way out of the finance or what way do people stand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Shadow22 wrote: »
    Hi. I got a car there on finance. Knew they were dodgy. Can I wriggle my way out of the finance or what way do people stand ?

Call up the finance company and tell them you can't afford the payments anymore and they'll come and take the car back. They might even offer to reduce the payments, they did this when my brother rang them up and said he couldn't afford it but he refused their offer so they came a few weeks ago and took the car back and it's for sale again in a different dealership in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your finance agreement is between you and the bank who gave you the loan, not the car dealer. The car remains the property of the bank until the last payment is made so there is no way to wriggle out of it just because the car dealer is no more.

If you have difficulty repaying the finance then look up the term "halfway rule" where if you have more than half the borrowed finance paid already then you can hand back the car and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Open to correction , but I think the 'Half Rule' only applies to HP and PCP Loans.....not to straightforward Car loans.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Open to correction , but I think the 'Half Rule' only applies to HP and PCP Loans.....not to straightforward Car loans.

A straight forward car loan isn't a finance loan. With a car loan you own the car and owe the money. With finance, the bank owns the car until you pay off the loan.

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

Half way rule doesn't apply to PCP finance either as your really only renting the car over 3 years with the option at the end of the 3 years to a. keep the car by paying the remaining lump sum balloon payment, b. upgrade to a new car/pcp agreement or c. hand the car back and walk away with nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

bazz26 wrote: »
    Half way rule doesn't apply to PCP finance either as your really only renting the car over 3 years with the option at the end of the 3 years to a. keep the car by paying the remaining lump sum balloon payment, b. upgrade to a new car/pcp agreement or c. hand the car back and walk away with nothing.

PCP is a form of HP so it does apply, I'd have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It does apply to Pcp. Given the large portion of the loan left to the end of term, i would have thought you would be near 3 years in before you would reach half paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

bazz26 wrote: »

That's not true. It's not a rental agreement. It's a HP scheme.

Where did you get rental agreement from?

• Advertisement

What I meant to say was that it is structured like a rental agreement with the option to buy/return or upgrade at the end of the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

there still looks to be alot of cars left in the back of there yard whats happening to them too old to move are they waiting to be crushed.

All the stuff at the rear is John Moloney's old stock.....left over from when he closed down his Honda dealership on the Dock Road.
    That was all at the front of the premises before Bawn moved in.
    Nearly everything there is partially stripped by now. Before Bawn moved in people were climbing the fence and literally taking any parts they needed (or could sell).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭goochy

wasnt Moloneys supposed to be building new premises there ? assume recession saw that go to the wall.
    Moloneys were an interesting but strange operation - plenty of rare cars - that would probably sell in Dublin but not elsewhere - but very few cars that ever got sold

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I hear there’s Gaa connection in all these raids and arrrests

goochy wrote: »
    wasnt Moloneys supposed to be building new premises there ? assume recession saw that go to the wall.
    Moloneys were an interesting but strange operation - plenty of rare cars - that would probably sell in Dublin but not elsewhere - but very few cars that ever got sold

Yeah. A lot of the stuff he bought in would have been his personal choices....rather than easily sold. He would have made more than enough with the Honda Dealership (and a few more prior to that).
    In fairness, he was one of the few that stood up to the Importers during the Boom years. They all wanted the Dealers to spend big money on glass palaces to make their Marque look good. At the time he had sold his Punches cross Premises (for a tidy amount no doubt ;)) and was renting the old O'Brien Crane hire premises (where Munster Car Parts now reside).
    Honda took the Dealership off him and gave it to Clareview Motors who had to build a nice new Showroom on the Dock Rd (where James Barry is now). After a couple of years the recession hit, Clareview couldn't afford to keep the place going and John Moloney stepped back in and rented the Premises (and got the Honda franchise back).......all for a fraction of what he would have had to lay out/borrow if he had toed the Honda line during the Boom.

BTW there were also a few classic Rollers (along with a couple of other decent classics) that were originally left in this Yard. After a few weeks they were moved to a more suitable location to keep them away from the Elements....both natural and human :D.

Greatest shower of coins that I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with. Car in and out of garage only recently with 1200 euro worth of problems. Also got me in on a finance deal and blindsided me with the cost of the repayments and lies about the car. I curse the day I went near them.
    I've myself to blame also..live and learn, I just hope nobody ever gets stung the way I did

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

I hear there’s Gaa connection in all these raids and arrrests
    It's been common knowledge since the 3 Gardaí were arrested who the connection is there. You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure it out either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Looks like the owners are back with a facebook raffle site:

https://www.facebook.com/TOPSPECMOTOR

https://www.topspecmotors.ie/

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Are you sure they are the same? That's in cork, and Bawn motors was in Newcastle West?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Pretty sure Top Spec motors has been around awhile, like the R King raffles.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

What happens to the cars? Don't suppose they'll be coming on the market for a knock down price somewhere? Car auctions?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

MarkR wrote: »
    Are you sure they are the same? That's in cork, and Bawn motors was in Newcastle West?

Yes it's the same.
    One of the CAB targets is from very close to the north cork border and operated a car sales business in North Cork as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

What happens to the cars? Don't suppose they'll be coming on the market for a knock down price somewhere? Car auctions?

they would have been auctioned off quickly enough, as they would lose value quickly.
    I recall someone else asking the same at the time.

Treepole wrote: »
    Yes it's the same.
    One of the CAB targets is from very close to the north cork border and operated a car sales business in North Cork as well.

Shower of b******s...lord I hope nobody buys anything off them..I spoke to a ex salesman employed by them, they ended up owing him a fortune. I'm still haunted by that car, hope nobody gets stung by them again..what I wouldn't say to him if I met him

Shadow22 wrote: »
    Shower of b******s...lord I hope nobody buys anything off them..I spoke to a ex salesman employed by them, they ended up owing him a fortune. I'm still haunted by that car, hope nobody gets stung by them again..what I wouldn't say to him if I met him

Plenty of people buying off them. I'm commenting on their posts saying don't buy but it's a tidal wave of people

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

So the people who have won the BMW car and motorbike on their FB page? Are they legit?

I'd say so but I'd just be wary being involved with the owners of such competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'd say so but I'd just be wary being involved with the owners of such competition.

The worst that can happen is that you don’t win the raffle

Advertisement