Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung S9 and Tesco mobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

If you're talking about coverage, then it really depends on your location. I was with TM for years and was quite happy, no issues using their service in Waterford and Dublin City Centre. I only left because I bought a new phone and they didn't offer 4G. I'll be finished the ID Mobile offer with Three at the end of this month and more than likely going to go back to TM.

Maybe ask around your area if anyone using TM has any issues as it's going to be fairly location dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Tesco mobile has served my daughter well, live in dublin. no issues with network and value is good. It seems that where you live is a big factor here. But my expereince is positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,787 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Terrible deal, it never fails to surprise me that so many people get their phones with their subs in this country. It's like buying something on the never, never

For EUR15 per month you have a better (no contract) plan, with more data with Eir, a proper mobile phone provider with their own network (unlike Tesco)

So you are paying EUR40-EUR15 = EUR25 per month for the phone. Over the 24 month contract this is EUR600 plus the EUR149 to pay for the phone, so EUR749

Much better off buying the phone outright for about EUR400 and have a no-contract SIM only plan like the one above from Eircom

Use the savings of EUR349 to go out for a very nice dinner a few times, or put it towards your holiday :cool:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

unkel wrote:
    Much better off buying the phone outright for about EUR400 and have a no-contract SIM only plan like the one above from Eircom

unkel wrote:

Where would you get an S9 for 400 ?
    Car phone selling it for 749 on payg

Dunno, but I bought a S8+ brand new over a year ago for EUR500 shipped.

Edit - 60 second google shows them on Amazon DE for EUR440. Still a saving of EUR300 compared to above Tesco deal. Surely if you shop around a bit more over the next few weeks you should be able to find one for about EUR400

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

unkel wrote:
    Edit - 60 second google shows them on Amazon DE for EUR440. Still a saving of well over EUR300 compared to above Tesco deal. Surely if you shop around a bit more over the next few weeks you should be able to find one for about EUR400

So not available in Ireland at that price. 440 is a great price but doesn't suit everyone to land out 440 upfront
    Tesco deal is 24x40=960+150 For phone =1110 for phone and 2 years usage
    15 a month for 24 months topping up is 360 . Add that to 750 to buy it SIM free in carphone = 1110 so it's not a bad deal at all in terms of Irish networks and plan costs . Obviously buying it for 440 is a great deal but as I said it might not suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

So not available in Ireland at that price. 440 is a great price but doesn't suit everyone to land out 440 upfront
    Tesco deal is 24x40=960+150 For phone =1110 for phone and 2 years usage
    15 a month for 24 months topping up is 360 . Add that to 750 to buy it SIM free in carphone = 1110 so it's not a bad deal at all in terms of Irish networks and plan costs . Obviously buying it for 440 is a great deal but as I said it might not suit everyone.

people who can spend 40 euros a month can afford 400 euro up front

I wouldnt touch Eir with a barge poll, but 48, which piggybacks on the 48 network is 10 euros a months

Eir are along with Board Gais the worst companies in ireland for incompetency, the stuff they do has to be on purpose

48, great to deal with, can't overcharge you

even more savings, a whoptastic 120, been on it 6 years

Amazon.de has the phone for 479, should go down further as the s10 sales take off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

The Tesco deal can be cheaper than Eir and buying from Amazon.

Eir (15/month only applies for first 6 months, then reverts to 30/month)
    (15 * 6) + (30 * 18) + 440 = 1070

Tesco @ €30/month plan
    (30 * 24) + 250 = 970

Tesco @ €40/month plan
    (40 * 24) + 150 = 1110

On the cheaper 30/month rate with Tesco, you get 500 mins, 500 texts, 15GB data.
    Eir gives you 30GB data and unlimited everything else.

Many people wouldn't use 500 mins/texts a month due to WhatsApp etc.

So not available in Ireland at that price.

What do you mean? Amazon (UK / DE / IT / ES) ship to Ireland no problem. Phones are unlocked too, might not be the case with Tesco...

MaceFace wrote: »
    Eir (15/month only applies for first 6 months, then reverts to 30/month)

Nah, easy to keep it at EUR15 per month by ringing their customer support. Or switch to virgin mobile 5 months completely free, unlimited everything. No strings attached. That's the beauty of not having a contract...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Surely the right comparison is the Tesco PAYG €15 offer of 15GB Data, unlimited minutes, plus €5 Bonus Credit.
    I'm not sure how many people are bothered by lack of texts and you still get have 33 from the bonus.

So the base €15 PAYG plan cost is €270 for 18 months and €360 for 24 months.

So taking the base cost of the phone circa €500

Savings look like, if my sums are correct, are:

Eir €1070 - €770 = €300
    Tesco €30 plan = €970 -€860 = €110
    Tesco €40 plan = €1110 -€860 = €250

.....but is Tesco mobile terrible?

Tesco use the 3 network and is 4G.

So coverage is the same as 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

unkel wrote:
    What do you mean? Amazon (UK / DE / IT / ES) ship to Ireland no problem. Phones are unlocked too, might not be the case with Tesco...

Plus first class customer service from Amazon if any issues arise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ei9go

Use www.curiua.com to find the best prices on all the Amazons

Saves opening a lot of windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i dont get it either how some people see deals in this, on contract your overpaying massively, and come 2 years time youll be splitting stones with that s9.

I get if its covered by work.

But get any decent phone you like and topup for 20quid on most networks to get free minutes data no crappy contracts. To be stuck in for years.

"i don't get it either how some people see deals in this,"

I think in fairness lots of people don't have 500 eurots to put down and so an option to pay off over time is attractive.

What I don't understand is why people would put down €250 for a locked in contract.

There are excellent unlocked phones available from other excellent manufacturers like Xiaomi for less than €250.

I guess its the power of brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

paddy19 wrote: »
    "i don't get it either how some people see deals in this,"

I think in fairness lots of people don't have 500 eurots to put down and so an option to pay off over time is attractive.

What I don't understand is why people would put down €250 for a locked in contract.

There are excellent unlocked phones available from other excellent manufacturers like Xiaomi for less than €250.

I guess its the power of brands.

Definitely some value to be got if you look beyond Samsung and Apple brands.

Last contract I went in to it worked out the same when i compared the plans on offer and buying my phone straight, it all depends on your plan needs, offers available when you want to upgrade and if you can afford the outlay upfront for a non contract phone. The real no brainier is trying to make your current phone last as long as possible, do you really need a new phone or would a new battery solve most of your issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

unkel wrote: »
    Nah, easy to keep it at EUR15 per month by ringing their customer support. Or switch to virgin mobile 5 months completely free, unlimited everything. No strings attached. That's the beauty of not having a contract...

Straight up ,you haven't got a clue how pathetic Eir customer service is. IMPOSSIBLE to contact. Whole thread here on boards with daily horror stories trying to get connected. Issue covered on radio, I.Times articles etc etc. Stay a million miles away from them.

Like I said, on the never, never

If you want to stay poor forever, that's the way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

anyone know off top of their head what roaming allowance they give on their unlimited plans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Dunno, but I bought a S8+ brand new over a year ago for EUR500 shipped.

Edit - 60 second google shows them on Amazon DE for EUR440. Still a saving of EUR300 compared to above Tesco deal. Surely if you shop around a bit more over the next few weeks you should be able to find one for about EUR400

Are those S9's on Amazon unlocked etc? It says "German Version" on the one I found...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Inviere wrote: »
    Are those S9's on Amazon unlocked etc? It says "German Version" on the one I found...

sure what network would they be locked to? the Amazon network?

Ze German Network?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

sure what network would they be locked to? the Amazon network?

Ze German Network?

I don't know, that's why I've asked :) Why are there different versions of the same phone, French version, Italian version, Spanish version, German version, Other version...is it purely the initial setup language that's different?

"They are all made in the same place and the phones are all the same and unlocked"

Not exactly true, not to be pedantic, said he being pedantic!

Manufactures make different phonies for different markets, Global, Europe, India, Russai, USA etc.
    The key difference is the frequencies they can operate under.
    See under frequencies for Xiomi Mi A1

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a1_(mi_5x)-8776.php#global

Most phones bought in Europe will be fine but be careful buying outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Tesco mobile service is terrible. I found I had no service at home in the middle if Dublin. Abroad it was very hit and miss. I switched but I'm abroad now with someone still on the network and they have only had a signal half the trip. Very unreliable service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

In my experience, the network is terrible. Just bought my way out of a 24m contract after 22m. Thought data service would improve with 4g but in many situations I had 4g connection only until I started to use it - it'd drop to Edge very quickly. Voice network also patchy - lots of dropped calls. The only good thing was the customer service in Waterford - universally lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

It was terrible for me and the last time I'll ever be locked into a contract especially for 2 years, more data than I ever could have needed
    but sure not much good when the network was crap
    For EUR15 per month you have a better (no contract) plan, with more data with Eir, a proper mobile phone provider with their own network (unlike Tesco)

I do this with vodafone and it works well for me (20pm 6gb 100/texts mins iirc which i don't even need) and every few weeks they ring me trying to get me back on bill....just ended up blocking them in the end

would still save money by getting out a small loan than availing of some
    of these dire over priced plans, at least dick turpin wore a mask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭booooonzo

Been on Tesco for a month, great service so far.
    Very fast 4g
    The odd delay connecting calls, virtual network I guess.
    Beats my Vodafone experience anyway.

Previously bought my S7 outright but don't see any benefit anymore really.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Flashdan

I only deal that I see that is good at the moment is this one:

https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/shop/phones-plans/all-phones/huawei-p20/3746/2

Huawei P20 all you can eat data and 100min 100 messages

If you normally top up by 20 (as I used to) this is how it works.

30 a month nothing upfront: 720 total

Normal top up 20 Euro that you would normally spend : 480

Cost for phone: 240

So that works out as good value as you can't buy a P20 for 240 new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Flashdan

btw look at the Tesco network they do NOT use the same system as the 3 they are a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) on the 3 network which makes it worse then standard 3.

Advertisement