Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst movie cliches

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

PinotNero wrote: »
    If a character goes food shopping, there has to be a french baguette sticking out of their grocery bags to prove it.

Yes and when somebody rounds a corner into them unexpectedly the bag will be found to contain oranges which will roll a small distance,allowing both parties to form a bond as they pick them up

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

razorblunt wrote: »
    Shot in the stomach? Instant death.
    Stabbed in the stomach? You better believe that's an instant death.

Yet losing a lot of blood means there is still hope, depending how important they are to the film!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

And I thought it was just me getting old and cranky! :D There might still be a bit of that though: my tolerance level for feckineejittery in movies has droppred considerably of late, particularly in respect of:

- no matter how many people might be around, there is never, ever, ever anyone who knows how to do CPR correctly: most give up after about five or six chest compressions, and even if that's enough to bring a drowned Lazarus back from the dead, they never think of putting him in the recovery position afterwards. :mad:

- character falls into a frozen river/lake/sea, or trudges through 10-foot snow drifts, and the first thing Our Hero does after pulling him to safety is cover his wet freezing clothes with a blanket instead of taking them off. :mad:

- Our Hero, serious face, serious tone, says "Jimmy, I've got to tell you something ...." Jimmy's always an overexcited, ignorant, insensitive fecker who inevitably interrupts Our Hero with a stream of pointless rubbish that could easily have waited till later, but even if he cops on to himself before the end of the scene and asks Our Hero what it was they were about to say, Our Hero will inevitably tell him that their momentous news doesn't matter after all. That's usually the point where I tell both of them to feck off with themselves ... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

When they review footage on a cctv camera and manage to enhance the image from the rear view mirror of the car in front of the villains car to find out who the villain is !

And they always get a crystal clear image !!

The lads on crime line really need to get their act together !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Every time someone calls out a phone number, in a movie, the first three digits are 555.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Every time someone calls out a phone number, in a movie, the first three digits are 555.

Its so the numbers can't be used to call anyone in real life.

Numbers 555-0100 through 555-0199 are specifically reserved for fictional use.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Character babbles about a complex algorithm they wrote in their tea break which has suddenly, magically found a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,935 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

- no matter how many people might be around, there is never, ever, ever anyone who knows how to do CPR correctly: most give up after about five or six chest compressions, and even if that's enough to bring a drowned Lazarus back from the dead, they never think of putting him in the recovery position afterwards. :mad:

CPR? Oh when you just start pounding someone in the chest shouting "Don't you die on me!"?

Guy meets girl "Dinner tomorrow?" "Sure!" Both walk off and somehow know enough from that exchange when and where to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

razorblunt wrote: »
    Shot in the stomach? Instant death.
    Stabbed in the stomach? You better believe that's an instant death.

Unless its the type of show that wouldn't kill off a well-liked character, in which case they just lose their spleen. Serious, but not too serious, because the audience doesn't know what a spleen does anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Women walking around the house in their underwear in a horror movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Where the geeky guy ends up shooting the villain and everyone 'wooh!'s' in surprise.

Not exactly a cliché, but how come so many rich Americans can't afford a dishwasher? They've got monster SUVs, huge fridges, giant washer-driers, seemingly have the disposable income to buy last-minute tickets to anywhere, but they still have to wash and dry their plates by hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Horror movies: "Oh no, we're in a strange place and our lives are in danger. We must all split up immediately!"

War movies: "Wanna see a picture of my girlfriend? ... Hey, why is that cowled guy with the scythe giving me a funny look?"

War movies: "How lucky is this? Every time I pick up a discarded weapon, it's loaded and ready to fire! Brilliant! Especially with my severely wounded arm which is very painful and hard to move except when I need to shoot with deadly accuracy."

Detective movies: "No fast food for me, thanks, I brought salad, it's one of the changes I made when I stopped drinking and sorted out my work-life balance, saving my marriage." Oh, wait...scratch that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

Everytime a character with a gun turns a corner suddenly/meets a bad guy etc you get the sound of a hammer being cocked/slide being racked.

That ain't how it works...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

More war movie cliches...

The enemy's uniform always fits the good guy, so he can be in disguise for a bit. ('Raiders of the Lost Ark' makes a good joke out of this)

No German soldier ever questions the allied soldier's German language or accent.

German soldiers die instantly from Allied bullets, while the allies get to roll around screaming for their mothers and getting to have last words.

And not war movie related, but still ridiculous,

The ninja zombie. You know the one that appears out of the side of the shot and surprises the hero, who should have been able to see it coming a mile off.

Or in a western, where the heroes can shoot with pin point accuracy, from a fast moving horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

Whilst being chased by a serial killer, if the chasee finds a car with keys already in the ignition, it's gaurenteed not to start first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Cops almost always have family issues. Only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Bad Boys.

The baddie always reveals, in surprising detail, his evil plot to the goodie who he is about to kill. Then, of course, the goodie survives and the baddie' s plot is exposed. It's the movie equivalent of Scooby Doo "I'd have got away with it, if it wasn't for you pesky kids"....

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Who's in charge around here?

I am!!

Not anymore you're not

Denzel Washington invariably comes along, uses his charm and takes over from the local sheriff, DEA, CIA and/or FBI. He mostly plays the same character that has some sort of police, federal or armed forces authority influence. Although he plays the part very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

"Bill, how long have we known each other?"

Now let's go for a walk and talk while I fill the audience in on some necessary exposition about our younger selves and how that may impact the plot of the remaining film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

A visual cliche that irritates me is when a car pulls up, and we get a close up shot of the driver's foot as he steps out. It's beyond overused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Bad guys tend to be incredibly bad shots!

The good guy could be in the middle of a football pitch and would still be dodging every bullet being shot from an AK47! They always end up shooting the ground around them.
    An example from the latest Bond movie (which I don't rate at all)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOP-THNe4m8&t=1m45s
    Minutes after excruciating torture, Bond stands out of cover and picks off dozens of faceless henchmen. It's how I play in an RPG when I have overpowered HP, armour, shields, and health regen and the difficulty setting low or medium. I know it's a Bond movie, but there are limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,935 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

"Mom, I found this doll in the attic. Can I keep it?" "Sure you can. The estate agent never mentioned the previous owners had lost one. Though one is in the asylum after 5 of his family were killed under mysterious circumstances. But if it starts talking to you let me know."

Also:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The most irritating character in a film dying first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Overused foley effects too.

- Sitting down to dinner, make the sound of the fork scraping their teeth
    - Taking a swig, especially whisky ... make the shhlurp sound
    - Add in the glug glug too for added effect

"I'll make this right, I promise ..."

Goes on to make things very much worse for everyone, for most of the rest of the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Noticed this more in soaps but if a new character comes in and they are really nice and good, they end up as a bad guy which I suppose isn't that far fetched but also if they come in as a bad guy at the start, they end up later being a really good person which doesn't happen irl since they usually just remain douchebags.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

"Is this thing on?" Queue feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 28,447 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not exactly a cliché, but how come so many rich Americans can't afford a dishwasher? They've got monster SUVs, huge fridges, giant washer-driers, seemingly have the disposable income to buy last-minute tickets to anywhere, but they still have to wash and dry their plates by hand?

Ever notice in these huge houses too that whenever a couple have a row or somebody has to sleep over that they have to sleep on the couch and they never have a spare bedroom?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ever notice in these huge houses too that whenever a couple have a row or somebody has to sleep over that they have to sleep on the couch and they never have a spare bedroom?

I hadn't, but now that you mention it ... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The main character is always from a broken home of some sort, never seem to have a happy family, or they are a lone parent/child who moved to a new town to start over.

Advertisement