Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Life - Netflix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I hate the atheist anti Christian stuff, the kid laughing to Gervais calling Jesus an arsehole was so cringeworthy

I also don't like the wife outside of her videos to him. When she's healthy her voice is so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I hate the atheist anti Christian stuff, the kid laughing to Gervais calling Jesus an arsehole was so cringeworthy

I also don't like the wife outside of her videos to him. When she's healthy her voice is so annoying

She's a carbon copy of her character from Derek, as is that Brian guy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Finally, it wasn't a perfectly written show. For example, they were aiming for some kind of redemption for Tony in the final episode, but for me nothing can redeem him after
    he gave the junkie the money to kill himself
    - Yes, that character got exactly what he wanted and asked for, Tony understood his pain and wanted to help put him out of it, but it was still inexcusable and a step too far for me to be on Tony's side at the end.
    I didn't like the ending- to be honest, it wasn't what you posted above that turned me off, although that was obviously beyond awful, but they were really trying to have a neat little ending, and wrap things up too tidily.
    His wife died "earlier this year" and her headstone said she died in February. The show appears to be set in the summer- early or late, because the kids are in school. September maybe?
    So the fact that he's asking somebody else out around 6 months after her death, after being suicidal with grief just didn't sit right with me.
    It kind of undermined his heartache a bit for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

This really should have been called After Wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Loved loved loved it, funny, dark and a DOG! What’s not to like?

My Dad’s in a home and I found that bit tough but real. I reckon a lot of people could identify with it.

Didn’t look too much into “she died in feb bit this is the Summer type thing”.

Lad in work watched it who lost his Dad a year ago and us only grieving now. He said he was in bits watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Also I thought this was bad, just really bad. It was all over the place. I could fill 3 pages of this thread with all the things I thought were bad about. I won't obviously because that would be a terrible thing to do and read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Have one episode left. I'm enjoying it. Its quite touching and funny.

I'm finding it tough to suspend my disbelief though. It feels like Ricky Gervais is playing himself. I love Gervais' humour so that's actually a plus for me in some ways. He isn't a dramatic actor by any stretch of the imagination. The world is an alternate reality where nobody interacts with each other like they do in real life. Majority of characters feel like caricatures. That works fine in a straight up comedy, but in a drama, it doesn't feel real at all. Once you can see past that, its still very enjoyable.

Absolutely so many of the set ups and best lines from this are more or less lifted from his previous stand up routines

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I wouldn't be a massive fan of his and personally i don't think think the Religon bashing is needed over more than episode (like he said his bit and that could have been that). However, inreally enjoyed this too. At least two or three genuine LOL moments per episode for me. Nothing with the wife really upset or bothered me but for some reason I had a bit of wobble with the "your my boy" scene.

The actor who plays his dad has been around a long time and i had said he was really being wasted a bit but I was floored at that bit.

Good show for me, doesn't need a season 2 IMO. Just tied off fine.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Best thing he's ever done, both laugh out loud and heart breaking in equal measure, sometime's even at the same time.

Definitely doesn't need a second series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Really surprised by the positive reviews here, it's terrible in my opinion. Really bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Best thing he's ever done

Behave will ya! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Really surprised by the positive reviews here, it's terrible in my opinion. Really bad.

I didn’t think it was great either. His character - it just feels like he’s playing his friend Carl P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

I really liked it!

Best thing Gervais has done since The Office for me.

The only thing I did not like was the ending it was too neat for my liking...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Acosta

Enjoyed it. When it was funny it was VERY funny. I generally don't like drama and sentimentality mixed in when I'm watching comedy, but it didn't bother me too much in this. Other than..
    The overdose was a bit off though. Thought he would have felt worse about enabling the guy to kill himself. The show didn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Utter ****e in my view also.....watched the first of four and had no desire to go any further. The scene where he walks by the school yard and is taunted about being a paedo and he bites back Calling the young guy a fat ginger cnut is just ridiculous......about as far fetched as you could possibly get.....but I suppose if you are a Gervais fan then you’d lap up this sort of stuff...!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Is it bad that I thought the Octopus joke was hilarious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Is it bad that I thought the Octopus joke was hilarious?

Explain the octopus 🙠joke and I’ll let you know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is episode 3 or 4. It probably wouldn't be funny out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Not normally a Gervais fan (I *hated* The Office) but honestly I loved this. Perfect combination of Pathos and Comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

my only issue with the show, as alluded by another poster, was using the two characters from Derek in pretty much the same roles, otherwise I loved it. The music selection was just spot on too. Think people are also underestimating Ricky's acting skills, particular in the scenes were he is close to tears. Really raw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Finished it there earlier, i loved it. Like others who posted here, I wouldn't be his biggest fan but this was a great watch.
    Had a bit of everything really, and makes you feel all sorts of emotions watching it. Surprised me how good it was, as I wasn't expecting much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Really enjoying this and Ricky annoys me, I think the globes was the only thing I liked him in bar a few bits in extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Have got as far as E4. Enjoying it but, as of yet, i wouldn’t have it ahead of any of Office, Extras or Derek. Do feel like it is taking me somewhere very interesting, though, so that evaluation may well change subsequently. Not full of lol moments for me, but that’s not a big problem, it has a lot of other charms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I don't particularly like Ricky Gervais but this is really excellent. So many well written characters.

As a matter of interest - why do you not like Ricky Gervais? he has made two absolutely outstanding TV shows, up there arguably with the best ever made. He is an extremely funny guy. Also he is very, very insightful.

Whats not to like? I sometimes think its his appearance that puts people off - that he is a slightly overweight middle aged guy who doesnt especially seem to care about his appearance (no offence Ricky)......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Acosta wrote: »
    Enjoyed it. When it was funny it was VERY funny. I generally don't like drama and sentimentality mixed in when I'm watching comedy, but it didn't bother me too much in this. Other than..
    The overdose was a bit off though. Thought he would have felt worse about enabling the guy to kill himself. The show didn't need it.

Id agree a bit with that; overall I really enjoyed it, it was a brave effort.

However, I did thing his evolution was a bit rushed - could have been ten episodes instead of six.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest - why do you not like Ricky Gervais? he has made two absolutely outstanding TV shows, up there arguably with the best ever made. He is an extremely funny guy. Also he is very, very insightful.

Whats not to like? I sometimes think its his appearance that puts people off - that he is a slightly overweight middle aged guy who doesnt especially seem to care about his appearance (no offence Ricky)......

He's not insightful in the slightest, he's an overgrown 1st year Philosophy student

• Registered Users Posts: 33,191 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He's not insightful in the slightest, he's an overgrown 1st year Philosophy student

Agreed. Half the points he makes are almost identical to what others have said. The big one that stuck out for me was when the
    red-haired woman with the glasses (Philomena Cunk, forget her name in the show) just randomly asks him if he doesn't believe in God why doesn't he kill and rape as many people as he wants, and he says he does, because the amount of people he wants to kill and rape is zero. That's almost verbatim something Penn Jillette (from Penn & Teller) said years ago. Difference being, Penn didn't then purposefully give a drug addict money to buy enough drugs to kill himself half an episode later.

Gervais has his moments, but "insightful" he is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭De Bhál

it was good, bit preachy towards the end, very like the last episode of Extras.
    Good characters. He was pushing buttons for tears all over the place, like every second scene.

To me Gervais best work was The Office and I doubt he will ever beat that.

If you like this show, with it's small country town England feel to it, then check out The Dectectorists. Like Ricky's show it's full of humour and likeable charaters without so much of the dark side.

It's also on Netflix

De Bhál wrote: »
    it was good, bit preachy towards the end, very like the last episode of Extras.
    Good characters. He was pushing buttons for tears all over the place, like every second scene.

To me Gervais best work was The Office and I doubt he will ever beat that.

If you like this show, with it's small country town England feel to it, then check out The Dectecorists. Like Ricky's show it's full of humour and likeable charaters without so much of the dark side.

It's also on Netfli
    x

+1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

For anyone out there who's lost someone or who lives with someone suffering from mental illness.

We were granted both in 2016 - we lost Mum to cancer and Dad was diagnosed with dementia at the same time, at one point she was undergoing chemotherapy in The Mater and he was ill with kidney failure in Beaumont and for 4 horrible weeks, my younger sister and I were running from her hospital to his taking turns at visiting them, Mum knew Dad was very sick but thankfully, by some miracle, they got out of their respective hospitals (she checked herself out) and we all spent a special final weekend together at home before her condition worsened and she was moved to a respite center, the rest is as they say, history.

Watching this show opened so many old feelings and wounds, the anger and frustration, sense of loss, deep love and unanswered questions, the grief for the things that never will be , she'll never see us marry or hold grandchildren etc, the fear of the gradual loss of a second parent as the illness slowly eats their mind, will he forget us, will he forget her, this show brought on tears, helped me further come to terms with her loss, struck a deep resonance in me but ultimately gave me some serious laughs.

I've never been a huge fan of Gervais, but for this show I will be eternally grateful to him.

Advertisement