Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethiopian Airlines Crash/ B737MAX grounding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Whilst this is true the buck stops with the manufacturer. Audits, checks and balances are supposed to keep the quality control up to agreed standards. The question rarely asked is how a supplier is able to do the work at price x. Where is the great saving being made. Time v cost v quality, you can usually only have two of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Part was supplied by a external supplier, so the fault would be with them.

Also I believe the part had been replaced on a number of RA's NG's by now..

Boeing are supposed to monitor the quality. Watch this and see if you still think it's not Boeing's problem:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,516 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

cnocbui wrote: »
    Watch this and see if you still think it's not Boeing's problem:

Seen that, been out a few years now, has come back to attention recently..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Just seen a Michael O'Leary interview on NBC from two weeks ago. He thinks the MAX will be recertified and back in the skies in June/July.

It really came across like he doesn't understand how serious the issue is. Don't think consumers will be queing up to get on the aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Just seen a Michael O'Leary interview on NBC from two weeks ago. He thinks the MAX will be recertified and back in the skies in June/July.

It really came across like he doesn't understand how serious the issue is. Don't think consumers will be queing up to get on the aircraft.

I think most of us are well aware of the nonsense that comes out of his mouth. He also claimed that all his pilots have been in the max simulator and loved it. I’ve been told that that simply isn’t true. Almost none of them have been in the max simulator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

. Don't think consumers will be queing up to get on the aircraft.

99% of consumers don't have the faintest idea about what type of aircraft they're stepping on to, nor do they remotely care, as long as it's cheap.

All MAX branding will be removed from Ryanair PR, websites, safety cards etc. It'll just say 737 and people won't have a clue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It really came across like he doesn't understand how serious the issue is.

If you've spotted a potential opportunity to place a substantial 737 Max order at a very significant discount, it strikes me as a fairly sensible public position to take for MOL.

When viewing most Ryanair related news (P.R.) ask yourself how is this going to save or make the company money. That's likely to give you a better idea of the real message.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement for a sizeable aircraft order from Ryanair as a show of faith in the aircraft around the time it's due back in service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

What the CEO of Ryanair tells its customers/investors on TV about a plane he has on order is probably very different from what he tells Boeing executives about the exact same plane which is full of problems. In one case he is speaking as a service provider planning to use the plane and in needs to reassure clients and investors, and in the other as a customer of the plane manufacturer who needs to make sure he’s getting what he’s paying for.

Neither is probably a true reflection of what he really thinks about the plane, and in both cases he probably just says what he things will give him the most leverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Will it be a separate pilot certification for the MAX then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

trellheim wrote: »
    Will it be a separate pilot certification for the MAX then ?

No, same type rating as NG, with a revised differences course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Blut2

Not a hope its back in the air in June. Even if the FAA want to clear it as quickly as possible the Europeans/Chinese won't be rushing it.

The speculation I've heard is end of summer, September-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Blut2 wrote: »
    Not a hope its back in the air in June. Even if the FAA want to clear it as quickly as possible the Europeans/Chinese won't be rushing it.

The speculation I've heard is end of summer, September-ish.

Emirates reckons it won't be back in the air outside the US until after Christmas.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-02/emirates-predicts-boeing-s-max-won-t-fly-until-after-christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'll be avoiding FR completely for at least a year if there's a chance me or my family could end up on a MAX. I don't want to be Boeing's guinea pig for this patch up job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I reckon it'll be fine if/when it gets recertified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I reckon it'll be fine if/when it gets recertified.

"When" - yes, but is "if" even a potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The FAA thought it was fine when it was "certified" the last time.

People are justified to be wary. Europe won't be rubber-stamping this one, for sure.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

GM228 wrote: »
    "When" - yes, but is "if" even a potential?

If they can't sort the aircraft's performance to everybody's satisfaction absolutely.

In view of the history the scrutiny will be rather thorough I'm sure. They simply can't afford another systems led accident - that would ruin the 737 Max completely, and would also cause huge distrust of the certification system.

p.s. I wonder what sort of discounts Ryanair are now getting from Boeing?

p.s. I wonder what sort of discounts Ryanair are now getting from Boeing?

Enormous.

For the 175 plane order in 2013, analysts estimated about 40-50% off list. At the time Ryanair suggested they paid 2005 prices as Boeing had given "certain price concessions".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Did I just see one of these fly out of Shannon?
    Or have they fitted those winglets to some older 737’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sunwing -800s have double winglets, not quite the same as the MAX ones.

Pic added:

800px-Boeing_737-800_%28C-FEAK%29_of_Sunwing_Airlines_at_Bristol_Airport%2C_England_15Aug2016_arp.jpg

Graham wrote: »
    Enormous.

For the 175 plane order in 2013, analysts estimated about 40-50% off list. At the time Ryanair suggested they paid 2005 prices as Boeing had given "certain price concessions".

Were Boeing stuck for cash in 2013 or something?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I presume sunwings have orange or a similar colour

Edit : Looks like the one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I see SE-RTB was undertaking a Malaga-Stockholm ferry on the 11th, only to be denied entry to German airspace and subsequently diverting to Paris Vatry.

Denied entry due to being a MAX8, but surely all the permissions would have been arranged beforehand? Am I missing something, paperwork mess up perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭john boye

Enormous.

I'm actually a tad surprised that Ryanair haven't gone for a top-up order since the grounding. They could surely get a great price from Boeing who you'd assume would be very grateful for the show of confidence in the max.

I'd say they're biding their time. Boeing will want a big show of faith when the aircraft re-enters service.

Maybe not, I bet MOL is licking his chops thinking about it though.

Nice discount in lieu of compensation might appeal to Boeing too.
    Were Boeing stuck for cash in 2013 or something?

They were stuck for good news, think 787 battery issues and delivery delays, lines of unfinished wide bodies all over the place. Add in the fact Ryanair were playing Boeing off against both Airbus and COMAC. Add to that a couple of hundred planes for delivery over the next few years is pretty tasty.

Similarly in 2001 Boeing sales had plummeted to around 300 aircraft (post 9/11), Ryanair placed an order for 100 aircraft in 2002.

Ryanair has shown Boeing it will walk away from a deal if the terms aren't right.

It's pretty clever.

If Ryanair genuinely got around 50% off list, after 5.5 years of service the resale value has to be around the same as the acquisition cost. (That's the bit I haven't researched yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭john boye

I'd say they're biding their time. Boeing will want a big show of faith when the aircraft re-enters service.

Maybe not, I bet MOL is licking his chops thinking about it though.

Nice discount in lieu of compensation might appeal to Boeing too.

Paris Air Show is next week, watch this space perhaps...

That was my earlier guess too but now I'm not so sure. With no announced return to service date it might be a bit premature.

Of course it could all go the other way too, Ryanair already have something like 130 orders and 70 options so maybe there's currently no need for a large order. In which case I'd expect cancellation hints are coming out of Swords along with invitations to a friendly chat about compensation or 'enhancements' to pricing for currently ordered aircraft. If they go down this route, I'd expect to see announcements for a much smaller number of additional aircraft/options.

Ryanair intentions have already been clarified. I don't know how I missed this:

“We’re having a discussion with Boeing” about getting financial compensation for the delays, O’Leary said on “Squawk Box.” “I don’t need cash,” he added, saying he wants movement on pricing.

"The company blamed the Max grounding and delivery delays for its profit warning."

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/20/ryanair-ceo-wants-boeing-to-pay-for-737-max-delivery-delays.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

When have Ryanair walked away from Boeing?
    Have they ever purchased from another manufacturer?

In 2009 Ryanair walked away from talks with Boeing over what was looking like an order for 200 aircraft.

A couple of years later Ryanair announced some sort of development agreement with COMAC for a 737 competitor.

They've flirted with Airbus a few times but I suspect that's mostly part of a negotiating ploy with Boeing. Unless Airbus suddenly make Ryanair an offer they can't turn down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

What other type do RyanAir use apart from 737?

Advertisement