Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suicide Squad Sequel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Much better than the first one . Found the scenes where Polka Dot Man

imagines his Mother in place of the squad or even Starro hilarious

Also note that there is a second post credit scene at the end of the credits that looks like it

sets up the Peacemaker show

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Really enjoyed this. In terms of tone, it's like Gunn's Super, but with real superpowers (and a lot more gore) - although if you're mainly aware of Gunn from GotG you'll notice that he once again handles an ensemble cast with aplomb and keeps things pacey through a film whose story is busy enough to make sure everyone has something to do, but never muddled or over-complicated.

Lots of fun and something I'd gladly watch again, something I wouldn't say about the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,154 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I found myself worried about the lives of a man/shark god, a man/weasel and a rat.

James Gunn could probably make a toaster into an endearing character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Definitely the James Gunn of Super and Slither present here: he did what he could within the rigid confines of the MCU, but he’s allowed more off the leash here and embraces his b-movie roots to endearing effect. It’s not perfect - don’t think it always manages its tonal juggling for one, and perhaps smooths down most of the characters’ harsher edges a little too much. But it’s brash and colourful in the way distressingly few superhero films are (although personally think Birds of Prey was a more vibrant and visually striking film than this). That Gunn is also happy to dispose of characters with giddy abandon seems very fitting for a film with this particular title (even if franchise demands give a few characters more plot armour than others).

What really does stand out beyond the gleeful hyper violence is how proudly cartoonish this is. There’s no hint of self-seriousness here: the costumes are goofy, the powers ridiculous and the main threats preposterous. Even when it descends into the inevitable city in peril finale, the creature is such a ludicrous, silly creation that there’s a layer of fun and campness that’s nearly entirely missing from the likes of the MCU. That said, kudos to Gunn for getting in quite a few digs at the destructiveness and callousness of US interventionism even when a shark man is fighting a giant starfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I didn't love this. It's obviously far better than the first one, but I just think James Gunn's shtick is getting old. Maybe it was the mild hangover ruining my buzz, or the fact that I had to leave the screen in Cineworld after the film began to find a member of staff to turn off the lights, but I had a wobbly start with the movie and never warmed fully to it as it went on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ThePott

Overall I liked it, it was fun but I didn't love it as much as I wanted to. I just felt it was a bit lacking, I liked some of the characters more than expected and some far less, I didn't really care about any of them though in the same way I did with Gunn's Guardians. He had seemingly unlimited creative freedom and I don't know if he made the best of it. That being said it was fun, I did laugh my ass off and thought the last act in particular was awesome but do feel like there could have been something special here and instead it feels like it doubled down on edginess and shock value and was happy to just proclaim how weird it was.

Anyway as I always do I went into more detail in a video review if anyone is curious to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

I thought it was an improvement on the first but I definitely think it needed about 20-30 minutes chopped off of it. The whole little sub plot with el presidente and Harley could have been axed and it wouldn't have made a difference. And couldn't believe that Elba was nearly the same size as roided Cena.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

There was a nastiness to this that left me with a sour taste. Its the violence, I thought it was gratuitous and unnecessary. That story couldve been told without that level of violence, I found myself looking away at times, and Im not squeamish. It was funny for sure and Idris, Margot Robbie and Daniesta Melchoir are very good. Margot Robbie has this amazing ability to bring warmth to a character even when shes shooting people. I like The dirty dozen premise and I'd wanna see another episode, but I hope they focus more on story and less on the violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Just back from it. While it’s Miles better than the first one it is still a steaming pile of ****.

had a few laughs but most short.

30 minutes to long.

some said the was some jackass raving about it on The radio about it. IMDb giving is good reviews.

DC really always over do it with music in their movies.

I’ve lost all trust in movie review sites.

if people actually think this is a good movie then I worry for th future of movies as it really was dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It was grand nothing more and even at just over 2 hours it was about a half an hour too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

First impression midway through the movie is that it had a big slump in there somewhere, like the tempo of the film shifts and slows down (for reasons, plot and comedic) and it just, wasn't a shift I expected after watching GOTG and GOTG2, Gunn gave me the impression he'd write an extremely kinetic plot, with a slapping soundtrack strapped to it. But he took some very different - good - approaches to the film that require going in with the dispelled expectation that this will be Suicide Squad of the Galaxy or something: it's not. And, that's okay, just unanticipated. Instead, the film kind of takes on a anthology-esque approach, like Tarantino, with nearly every chapter of the movie getting delightfully aesthetic subtitle, but which blurs the line between grounded and 4th-wall breaking absurdism, but you're warned about that line cross very early on in the film (TBF: GOTG had locations on screen as these breaks, eg. Knowhere). And then in that slump, you're treated to something absolutely delightful (even though Teamfortress 2 did it first). Overall, not knowing where the film was going makes you feel the movie is carrying on too long, you're anxious about where it will go next or if it will end soon because of the unpredictable highs and turns.

Watching Caravan of Garbage again for Suicide Squad 2016, and thinking about Croc and the capability of CGI in the past 10 years - Gunn did a great job (as he would) bringing his CGI characters Weasel and King Shark, etc. to life with the technology we have. Weasel is the first one I think we see in the film, and he's a good ease-in for the audience bc there are practical and CGI effects blended, he already has comfortability after producing for Rocket Raccoon, etc.; Shark skin should be an easy target for CGI in 2021, too, I think the only thing that hurts the performance are down to subtle lighting issues that fail to trick you into thinking he's in the scene (also: the fact that it's a humanoid shark). But overall superb character design with him, and throughout other CGI elements in the film. Especially noteworthy, I love the body language and expressions of every CGI character in this film, it's fantastically expressed. A little excessive CGI with gizmos that some characters pop out of nowhere though.

Overall, movie has popping colors, great artsy comic-like effects and some frankly absurd characters like Peacekeeper that cornerstone the whole psyche of the film (absurdism), and it was delightful. Would watch again, easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's a mess with some strong performances and nice moments thrown in...but mostly a mess. You often leave a scene with a feeling of wtf. Not in a good way either.

Peacemaker and Bloodsport had some great chemistry but they were never let run with it because we had to spend time getting to know back stories of or spending time with far less interesting characters. It makes the middle part of the film really drag. Actually it makes most of it drag if I'm being totally honest.

Peacemaker and Bloodsport had a glimpse of something really good for about 1-2 minutes with them creatively killing the people at the base, trying to outdo the other - this could have been brilliant if they had expanded on it and got really creative. Serious missed opportunity there - they had struck gold with Cena and Alba. They bounced off each other so well.

There was no need for poka dot man or ratcatcher2 - both of whom I felt dragged the film. King Shark was a good enough supporting character from the newer ones we got. We didn't need the rest.

Harley had some nice moments but they are few and far between. She's mostly done dirty here I feel. Some truly terrible lines that are just swing and a miss.

Also the whole thing with Harley and the president... Just why?

I'm glad it seems like Gunn got to do what he wants but it just reaffirmed my feelings that I just don't like the way he develops his characters or paces his stories. They always have to have a moment where they stare off into the distance and tell a story about their childhood or past and it's nearly always the same beats. It seems to be the only way he knows how to set the stage. I remember this annoying me a lot in GOTG 2 as well. It just always feels out of place

Didn't feel the finale was anything special either... The way they defeat the main bad as well was just..... Like really? That's it?

This is towards the bottom of the pile for DC films for me. A huge disappointment.

5/10 Even that feels generous but I did like Peacemaker, King Shark and Bloodsport for their performances. They are held back by the rest of the junk in here though. So much more could have been done with those guys.

I know DC are thinking of getting Gunn back in for more projects and if this is the style and route they are going it's not encouraging at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Agree with this. It wasn’t great at all. Was hoping it would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Far better than the first one, but have to echo others here and say I was kinda disappointed. It just didn't have the emotional beats that the GOTG films had, aside from maybe Polka Dot Man's backstory. The rest of the characters were just... there. Winning, losing, living, dying.... it didn't seem to affect any of them. None of them had something they were actually fighting for, none of them were trying to overcome their own personal struggle (at least not anything that was impactful). I think they could have done more with Starro too. The fact it could take over most of the population barely had any impact, and without that Starro was basically just the Stay Puft Man.

It looked fantastic, some of the jokes were great, and the main bit I enjoyed was Peacemaker and Bloodsport. But overall I was surprised that it actually felt a bit weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just watched The Dirty Dozen this afternoon and nearly 55 years later it still holds up better than the mess both of these Suicide Squad films are.

Also those old WW2 movies showed how to use All Star casts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seen this today and while some parts where good I do thought they violence was way overdone. Really did not enjoy any of that. I also think it was at least 20mins too long. The middle part with Harley and your man just dragged on. I do think Sharkke was good however and I liked your one with the magic wand even if she was very lazy.

I actually think the whole main plot of both the suicide movie's is utterly stupid.

I think I am done with violent movies like this. You can not enjoy that evidenced by the amount of bars I had left over.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I really enjoyed it. I just took it at face value and it had a good few laughs, plenty of mindless violence and doesn't take itself seriously, which I quite like and thought the film tipped along nicely. Polka dot man and his mother issues also king shark just wanting nom nom were pretty funny. Miles better than the first one

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Really enjoyed this last night. Ridiculous stuff but knows it is.

Didn't try to be edgy like the first one, instead embraced the absurdity.

Clearly not everyone enjoyed it but that's more to do with what people wanted or expected, than it being a bad movie.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I thought it was excellent to be honest. I agree that a couple of characters could have been cut to give more time to Peacemaker (Who is getting his own TV show based after the film) and Bloodshot but it was a solid film all around for me.

Gunn is in cruise control here but there wasn't much inwould change. Perfect Saturday night one off action film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought it was quite good and an excellent cinema experience. Particularly given how utterly dogshit the original movie is.

Great cast, great pace, plenty of decent laughs and while it's not earth-shatteringly original, it's done with style and energy that sets it apart from most other generic superhero movies, well done and all as most of them usually are.

Easily the best of the mostly poor DC movies to date and the most fun I've had with a superhero movie in a long time. Special mention due to John Cena who put in an absolutely amazing turn as Peacemaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I thought it was good but tbh, given the choice if i had to watch 1 again, it would be the first. I know people hated it but i enjoyed it and the 2nd film was missing something for me. Saying that, it did a lot of stuff better. I'm no wrestling fan but anything I've seen with John Cena, he nails and this is no different. "I believe in peace, even if that means i have to kill every man, woman and child to get it". The writing and Cena's performance was just perfect, glad to hear he's getting his own show.

Actually feel like rewatching the first again now.

Also Weasel was brilliant! I assume it was Sean Gunn taking on the motion cap role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I enjoyed this a lot, loads of fun.

It's funny how something can take you out of the movie if it breaks its own internal logic. I can buy a shark / human hybrid or a giant starfish but there was a brief shot of Harley, who isn't superpowered, jumping up about three times her height that didn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I enjoyed it but felt it was too long. I liked the political aspect, a biting commentary on American foreign policy, but also very fun and a lot of jokes. I think Idris Elba was great, surprised how over the top evil they made Waller and thought Rat Catcher 2 was an interesting character.

Grace Randolph take on the movie seemed really off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Started well with some entertaining characters but got very boring in 3rd act and fairly meh. Film felt very long also.

Still prefer the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Good enough, I'd not seen the first film, so the start of this one was a bit disjointed for me especially with the going back to "3 days earlier" malarkey and the set up of the villains side was a bit cumbersome , also the group seemed a bit disjointed at times like they were wandering around doing their own thing. Tons more fun than Black widow though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

That is actually a really valid point about John Cena... I think he's been excellent in anything I have seen him in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Speaking as someone who doesn't watch it, wrestling already appears a bit of a melodramatic soap-opera; it's not that surprising its larger "characters" have acquitted themselves to blockbuster cinema so ably. Some better than others admittedly - whither Steve Austin these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It wasn't that good.

Advertisement