Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide Squad Sequel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,962 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Trailer looks good..... But.
    The trailers for the last one made it look fantastic and that turned out to be utter garbage. So I’ll wait and see what happens after the reviews come out.

For these sorts of things, I find it much better to look at who's making them to gauge how it might turn out over anything else.

David Ayer isn't a man you'd want writing and directing a film of this sort. Give him a cop procedural or a straightforward blunt actioner and he's grand, but he's not the man for wit or charm or nuance.

Meanwhile James Gunn is exactly the man you want writing and directing a film like this. Guardians of the Galaxy is basically the template for the tone and style you want to find, so it's not a bad idea to just bring in the guy who achieved that and tell him to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know James Gunn said that DC gave him permission to kill whoever he pleased, but I still bet'ya Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn had a big ringfence around her marked "Off limits". I don't believe for one second the film would be allowed to knock off its most prized star. Ditto Bloodspot TBH; can't see DC allowing Idris Elba, arguably the only other A-List star, to get offed.

Weirdly, I reckon Polka Dot Man is fine. He seems like such a goofy addition to (what appears to be) the film's main team, I can see Gunn intentionally keeping its silliest villain alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

pixelburp wrote: »
    I know James Gunn said that DC gave him permission to kill whoever he pleased, but I still bet'ya Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn had a big ringfence around her marked "Off limits". I don't believe for one second the film would be allowed to knock off its most prized star. Ditto Bloodspot TBH; can't see DC allowing Idris Elba, arguably the only other A-List star, to get offed.

Weirdly, I reckon Polka Dot Man is fine. He seems like such a goofy addition to (what appears to be) the film's main team, I can see Gunn intentionally keeping its silliest villain alive.

The fact Polka Dot Man actually said he hopes to die makes me think he will live, like he'll kinda embrace the whole "Suicide" part of the mission yet end up as a running gag of somehow escaping death against the odds at every turn despite his best efforts (with maybe the likes of Blackguard/Weasel etc. dying instead of him).

Seems kinda like what Gunn would do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

I can't believe how terrible this looks. James Gunn... why?

King Shark FFS

Maybe after Marvel rehired him he decided to act as a saboteur and make the worst DC film imaginable?

• Advertisement

El Duda wrote: »
    King Shark FFS

I am Groot?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, like... lol wot? territory here. Gunn made Marvel millions of dollars in succeeding with a series that has a talking Racoon and Tree in its line-up. King Shark is hardly the most out-there thing he has done.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, like... lol wot? territory here. Gunn made Marvel millions of dollars in succeeding with a series that has a talking Racoon and Tree in its line-up. King Shark is hardly the most out-there thing he has done.

I am Groooot!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,285 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

30th July UK release

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First clip appeared, giving a sense of the humour In situ. The first squad definitely seem ... Well. Bloody useless lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,011 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Reviews starting to come out....pretty good so far.

4 stars in empire, 3 in the guardian.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Got to see it this evening. I'm not a big fan of comic book films but this is quite good and quite funny as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm looking forward to this. I actually put off watching the first one until this week because of all the negativity surrounding it, but I really enjoyed it, with Margo Robbie of course stealing the show again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's not so much as a sequel as a reboot. You don't need to have watched the first one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I understand that, but with the new one coming out I decided it was just time to take a look, not because I felt I needed to have watched it before the new one.

I can dig that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

99% on Rotten Tomatoes. Was NOT expecting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The first one is one of only a few films I couldn't finish. Looking forward to seeing this though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's hitting all the generic requirements for the genre such as being "funny", "charming" and with "tons of heart", so it's no surprise to me that it's doing well, or will do well.

I'm sure it's a well made film at the very least anyway as Gunn seems to take care with these type of properties.

From reviews, it also sounds like Gunn has been given creative leeway to return to his Troma roots, and indulge in OTT gore for comedic effect. Will be interesting to see audience and box-office reaction, especially given one of its stars is from the PG line of DC films (Harley)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

The first Suicide Squad was 15a and the Birds of Prey was 16s. Neither super gory but not PG either.

Fair point. But if what the reviews are saying is true, and remembering Gunn's earlier work like Slither - this film may take some by surprise 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Didnt watch the first one after its poor reviews, i see there is an extended version of it now. Worth watching before this one?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

There might be I am not sure, I know there was talk of an Ayers cut....

I honestly wouldn't be that fussed it isn't great.

I am heading to see new one nice and early Saturday morning looking forward to it :)

Slither is a cracking little horror comedy, shame it flopped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Seen it last night, thought it was great...gunn definitely has brought the GOTG vibe but with violence and gore

Great characters, great humour and a decent storyline to boot. Alot better and as mentioned prev it's a reboot pretty much

Saw this morning.

It's a lot of fun! Some great gags.

A huge step up from the other film, properly bonkers in a good way.

John Cena and Margot Robbie very fun.

King shark wonderfully mad as well.

One disappointment was Peter Capaldi, pretty poor tbh. Accent all over the shop.

8/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I saw this tonight and I have to say, it was alright. Tonally it was all over the place. It felt as if Gunn couldn't decide if the film should be ridiculous and outrageous or dark and deep. It's a very up and down film and I would have preferred Gunn chose one approach and went all in on it.

I never saw the first film (because of the poor reviews) but if people are saying this one is a lot better then the first must have been atrocious because this wasn't particularly special. Maybe, I should have had lower expectations. I think Waititi would have made a better film if he brought his quirkiness and eccentricity to it.

Advertisement