Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are people obsessed with getting a pension

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Despite having a pension, I still don't understand them. So I pay 5% and my employer matches it.

If I take early retirement or change jobs when I'm say 55 (in 20+ years' time), when am I entitled to this pot of money? Since I'm only paying minimum low risk, will this pot have increased a bit more than what I've put in?

..........., will this pot have increased a bit more than what I've put in?

Over 3 decades if managed properly you could well have a fund that's at least double what you and your employer put in.

That would be based on 5% net growth per annum (after management fees etc) and ignoring inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Augeo wrote: »
    Over 3 decades if managed properly you could well have a fund that's at least double what you and your employer put in.

That would be based on 5% net growth per annum (after management fees etc) and ignoring inflation.

And when can you access it?

Pensions person was in work and I asked this and was told I couldn't access it until retirement age. (or maybe she said until I was retired)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Pussyhands wrote: »

Pensions person was in work and I asked this and was told I couldn't access it until retirement age. (or maybe she said until I was retired)

This is the point of the thing. It's a pension pot for retirement because otherwise when you're not working anymore you'll be broke.

You can also retire early if you have the agreement of the employer in an occupational pension scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,537 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pussyhands wrote: »

It depends on the conditions of the scheme. It may well be possible to 'retire' for one fund anytime after age 50, even if you are still working.

• Advertisement

Ace2007 wrote: »

Like for like comparisons - public nurse v private nurse for instance. One accepts greater pay in retirement v one accepts better pay now.

This pretty much sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

In terms of a married couple, one say over 40 and one under 40, is there a recommended approach in terms of AVCs. So would they be better off maxing the older persons AVC, due to higher limit, or the younger persons as more scope for compound growth. Assumptions are they can not afford to max both, and neither would negatively impact any employer contributions.

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I'm going to enjoy my money while I have health and vigour and the government can look after me when I'm an auld boy.

There is actually a case for this logic. Not a great moral case. But if you need nursing home care when you age, as things stand a good deal of the assets you acquire, will be used as a contribution towards the considerable costs of providing this care. What's the point of acquiring property assets and savings as they will be siphoned off etc etc. So you could logically take the view 'the government can look after me when I'm an auld boy.' Except for government, read the rest of society / tax payers etc.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    ............So you could logically take the view 'the government can look after me when I'm an auld boy.' Except for government, read the rest of society / tax payers etc.

Yeah ............ but given the amount of folk that might need looking after (state pension, RA/HAP/whatever, health care & nursing care etc etc etc) ......... the odds aren't really in your favour IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Augeo wrote: »
    Yeah ............ but given the amount of folk that might need looking after (state pension, RA/HAP/whatever, health care & nursing care etc etc etc) ......... the odds aren't really in your favour IMO.

In addition, what if you live to be 100, and are in great shape and think about travelling the world, or going to Vegas for hookers and coke, and then realise that you don't have a penny to your name because you didn't bother saving for it - and instead maybe have the state pension, because let's face it given all the facts about population age in this country, there will be only 2 workers for every pensioner by 2050, so it's actually a big maybe.

And let's look a real life situation today, you could be relying on the public health system for your health needs - be waiting years for appointments or just to see a consultant, or you could pay for health insurance, and get appointments and consultants with little or no delay.

• Advertisement

So you could logically take the view 'the government can look after me when I'm an auld boy.

And what if they don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

I know I have taken flack from people on here about not taking the traditional route in relation to pensions....is that so bad?

I do not want to be reliant upon the State for an income in older age. I certainly do not want to be reliant upon the State to look after me in old age, I have never asked them for anything in this life and never will. I have always been independent and even when unemployed, never claimed anything that people normally claim. Some may think this is stupid. Personally, I have no issue in paying my taxes but I also have stood and will continue to stand on my own two feet.

There is going to be a major issue in relation to State pensions in the future. Not just in Ireland but also internationally, with ageing populations and the younger generations being held to account for the promises made in retirement for the older generations. Many people simply do not have the means to pay into a pension. State benefits will deteriorate as we all get older, there is simply not the ability for the tax payer to afford to maintain them. From a personal perspective, no matter if you take the traditional pension route or create an income stream by yourself to look after yourself in old age, we all need some form of savings/investment/income strategy to look after ourselves in older age.

People are,in general, more healthy (not where I am located most need to loose around 100lbs) and will be working longer to maintain a lifestyle level. Some of us will also work in retirement, not simply because we have to but because we enjoy what we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I'm 30, was paying about 5% into pension with employer paying about 5% too, up to about 6 months ago. I then increased it to 10%, with employer still paying 5%. After reading this thread the other day I have increased my contributions to 20% (employer still around 5%).

I'd love to be able to retire when im 60 but very hard know if that will be achievable this far out. Who knows if there will even be a state pension in 30-40 year time. If I find 20% difficult at any stage I can always decrease to increase my cash flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Despite having a pension, I still don't understand them. So I pay 5% and my employer matches it.

If I take early retirement or change jobs when I'm say 55 (in 20+ years' time), when am I entitled to this pot of money? Since I'm only paying minimum low risk, will this pot have increased a bit more than what I've put in?

If you're going for low risk, it will be unlikely to be worth much more than you paid in.

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    In terms of a married couple, one say over 40 and one under 40, is there a recommended approach in terms of AVCs. So would they be better off maxing the older persons AVC, due to higher limit, or the younger persons as more scope for compound growth. Assumptions are they can not afford to max both, and neither would negatively impact any employer contributions.

TIA

Each person should fund their own AVCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Klonker wrote: »
    I'm 30, was paying about 5% into pension with employer paying about 5% too, up to about 6 months ago. I then increased it to 10%, with employer still paying 5%. After reading this thread the other day I have increased my contributions to 20% (employer still around 5%).

I'd love to be able to retire when im 60 but very hard know if that will be achievable this far out. Who knows if there will even be a state pension in 30-40 year time. If I find 20% difficult at any stage I can always decrease to increase my cash flow.

Is that 20% from you plus 5% from employer (25%) or 15% + 5%?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

20% from me and 5% from employer. Limits only include my contributions as far as I'm aware anyway. 30-39 bracket is up to 20%.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's correct for an occupational pension. With a PRSA the total would be limited to 20%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

20% from me and 5% from employer. Limits only include my contributions as far as I'm aware anyway. 30-39 bracket is up to 20%.

Up to 20% combined contributions between employer and employee for PRSA as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Thanks for confirming. I had thought only 15+5 was allowed, will up my contributions to 20 so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Received annual statement - see our PRSA fell in value by abt 7% in last six months of 2018. Yes pensions rise & fall in value but it's swings like this that make the ordinary citizen look askance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Received annual statement - see our PRSA fell in value by abt 7% in last six months of 2018. Yes pensions rise & fall in value but it's swings like this that make the ordinary citizen look askance.

What type of PRSA are you talking about? What was the investment strategy and what was the cause of the decline?

I've gone up in value over the last 6 months. 100% equities FTW.

[I'm not recommending everyone does this]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Think a few people must have been hit badly with PRSAs if you look at the latest asset figures on the Pensions Authority website. They usually increase each year but Q4 2018 was down €25m from the previous year.

It's likely still worth mire then the total contributions & if you are well diversified and don't intend to access it for decades a 7% drop in the period you mention is effectively immaterial data.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I'm 47 I don't have a pension scheme. Will work till I drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

worldwide markets took a dump late last year but have mostly recovered since then. It goes up and it goes down but history has shown it always grows on average over long periods of time. As you get more investment savvy you can take advantage of the down events by buying stock cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

BailMeOut wrote: »
    worldwide markets took a dump late last year but have mostly recovered since then. It goes up and it goes down but history has shown it always grows on average over long periods of time. As you get more investment savvy you can take advantage of the down events by buying stock cheap.

Exactly this, you might see a 7% fall over 6 months, but you would probably see a 7%+ rise in the first 2/3 months of the year. Pensions are long term game, and hence you the ordinary layman, should really just invest in a default life-styling option and never worry about returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bilbot79 wrote: »
    You do realise pension saving is tax free but regular saving is not?

You pay USC twice on it. And you may still be taxed on drawing it down.

So to say it’s tax free is incorrect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

ted1 wrote: »
    You pay USC twice on it. And you may still be taxed on drawing it down.

So to say it’s tax free is incorrect

But you don't pay PAYE on it, which is the biggest tax. In retirement, you get 25% of your fund or 1.5 times your final salary tax free, then yes the remainder is subject to tax but you have an approx 18 grand threshold as a single pensioner before you pay tax and double tax credits!

Advertisement