Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are people obsessed with getting a pension

Options
1454647484951»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

hmmm wrote: »
    How does the asset manager make money, and how do they possibly guarantee a return?

They charge a fee in the normal way...
    McGaggs wrote: »
    Usually guaranteeing a return on a fund will have a drag on the performance as it will have a larger allocation to fixed interest assets

As I pointed out, the asset allocation and instrument selection is regulated, so no investment portfolios cannot be loaded up with FI type instruments.

The minimum return rate is set by the government and is not a simple AUM calculation, it assumes a certain capital loss in recessionary times but is intended to ensure previous gains are not wiped out.

I’m no longer saving for a pension and am out of the industry as well, so I don’t get the reports anymore. At the height of the last recession my pension had an annualized return of 7.3% and min return was 3.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Jim2007 wrote: »
    They charge a fee in the normal way...
    I thought you said they didn't charge a fee? What sort of % is being charged?
    As I pointed out, the asset allocation and instrument selection is regulated, so no investment portfolios cannot be loaded up with FI type instruments.

The minimum return rate is set by the government and is not a simple AUM calculation, it assumes a certain capital loss in recessionary times but is intended to ensure previous gains are not wiped out.
    I'm lost as to how they can guarantee a return in those circumstances. Unless the return is dramatically less than an employee might expect to receive in a self-managed fund with the same asset allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

hmmm wrote: »
    I thought you said they didn't charge a fee? What sort of % is being charged?

I'm lost as to how they can guarantee a return in those circumstances. Unless the return is dramatically less than an employee might expect to receive in a self-managed fund with the same asset allocation.

From what I can gather, the current guaranteed amount of 1%, with the government going against their own experts who advised 0.75%.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Anyone received a pension statement lately? I know it says it is only a prediction but my Irish Life work monthly pension prediction (4 years time) is now only two thirds of what was predicted in 2018! I suppose they're blaming this on Covid etc. For the last 10 years or so it's only increased by varying amounts...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Simon201 wrote: »
    Anyone received a pension statement lately? I know it says it is only a prediction but my Irish Life work monthly pension prediction (4 years time) is now only two thirds of what was predicted in 2018! I suppose they're blaming this on Covid etc. For the last 10 years or so it's only increased by varying amounts...

Care to share what its invested in as in bonds or equities, low or high risk etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Simon201 wrote: »
    Yes noticed my IL prediction has changed, they must have changed some of their projections. The bold sttement at the bottom (under "Important") states what they're basing the expected outcome on. I can see in my latest 2 statements it's changed from "projection 4.45% return" to "projection 5% return"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yes noticed my IL prediction has changed, they must have changed some of their projections. The bold sttement at the bottom (under "Important") states what they're basing the expected outcome on. I can see in my latest 2 statements it's changed from "projection 4.45% return" to "projection 5% return"

So it's either:
    - Society of Actuaries have changed their guidance notes and reduced the anticipated return rates.
    - The composition of the fund has changed
    - you've changed funds.

Advertisement