Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental HEO Competition 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BLOSSOM11

Jsherlock1 wrote: »
    5 weeks seems like a crazy amount of time to wait for results, it would turn anyone off applying for future competitions. Hopefully we hear by Friday

It so is! By all accounts people knew 6 days after interviews finished for the last interdepartmental HEO. There must be something up.

Hi, just wondering did anyone come across an interviewer who wouldn't let you demonstrate a competency using the STAR technique? This happened to me. He just wanted a straight answer. I tried a few times to give the competency but he kept stopping me till I gave a straight answer. I'm worried this will go against me as I didnt get to demonstrate the competency at all

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭speedygirl

BLOSSOM11 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering did anyone come across an interviewer who wouldn't let you demonstrate a competency using the STAR technique? This happened to me. He just wanted a straight answer. I tried a few times to give the competency but he kept stopping me till I gave a straight answer. I'm worried this will go against me as I didnt get to demonstrate the competency at all

This is exactly what happened me and how I feel now . I really was rattled by him as every time I tried to answer he interrupted me and kept asking direct questions:-(

speedygirl wrote: »
    This is exactly what happened me and how I feel now . I really was rattled by him as every time I tried to answer he interrupted me and kept asking direct questions:-(

I wonder was it the same interviewer! I was rattled as well! Was trying to demonstrate the competency but he wouldn't let me. Could see from his face he was getting annoyed & he wasn't hiding it.Could it have been a tactic? But don't you only get marked on what you say or does your form get taken into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jsherlock1

I had one interviewer who cut across me too, told me she wanted a different example and then wouldnt let me talk, I was trying to structure my answers using STAR too but she was having none of it. Must be a tactic because I definitely felt there was a good cop, bad cop dynamic.

• Advertisement

I wonder was it the same interviewer! I was rattled as well! Was trying to demonstrate the competency but he wouldn't let me. Could see from his face he was getting annoyed & he wasn't hiding it.Could it have been a tactic? But don't you only get marked on what you say or does your form get taken into account?
    Well I have his name but best not name him. You couldn't have described the situation better. He was getting agitated like "just tell me! " I totally lost confidence from there on. I guess he was there to rattle us and he succeeded in my case.

Well I have his name but best not name him. You couldn't have described the situation better. He was getting agitated like "just tell me! " I totally lost confidence from there on. I guess he was there to rattle us and he succeeded in my case.

Sounds like the same guy! Hopefully it didn't go against us. I wonder can we complain if we fail on his competencies? Hopefully we both pass so won't need to consider that. My main worry is the report. I wasted time reading & then when it came to doing the report I went about it the wrong way. When I realised it was too late. I reckon I failed on that but still hope I got through. The waiting makes it all the more worse

I had one interviewer who cut across me too, told me she wanted a different example and then wouldnt let me talk, I was trying to structure my answers using STAR too but she was having none of it. Must be a tactic because I definitely felt there was a good cop, bad cop dynamic.

Oh it must be so! Makes me feel a bit better. But how can we get marked if we are not allowed used STAR like we are meant to? With my guy I tried a few times to use STAR & then just answered him like he wanted.

Oh it must be so! Makes me feel a bit better. But how can we get marked if we are not allowed used STAR like we are meant to? With my guy I tried a few times to use STAR & then just answered him like he wanted.

I really dont know how they could have marked when they were interrupting constantly. In my interview, I felt the first half was very structured, followed the usual competencies, allowed me to use the recommended answering format etc. but them the last interviewer went totally off-script. It's impossible to figure out how it went or whether you even passed and the waiting makes you question everything they asked and every answer you gave.

Sounds like the same guy! Hopefully it didn't go against us. I wonder can we complain if we fail on his competencies? Hopefully we both pass so won't need to consider that. My main worry is the report. I wasted time reading & then when it came to doing the report I went about it the wrong way. When I realised it was too late. I reckon I failed on that but still hope I got through. The waiting makes it all the more worse
    Yeah I've written it off now and the longer time goes on the less I care but when i seen your post earlier I though omg that's exactly what happened me. Best of luck anyway and hope you pass ll of it.

• Advertisement

I really dont know how they could have marked when they were interrupting constantly. In my interview, I felt the first half was very structured, followed the usual competencies, allowed me to use the recommended answering format etc. but them the last interviewer went totally off-script. It's impossible to figure out how it went or whether you even passed and the waiting makes you question everything they asked and every answer you gave.

That's exactly how my interview went except in reverse order. The first part was off script & the second part was fairly ok. You're right! The waiting makes you question everything. Wish they would just release the results. It's a crazy amount of time to be waiting & makes it even harder on anyone who doesn't get through

Yeah I've written it off now and the longer time goes on the less I care but when i seen your post earlier I though omg that's exactly what happened me. Best of luck anyway and hope you pass ll of it.

Hopefully we both get through. I'm the opposite of you! I'm still hoping so will be even more disappointed if I don't get through. Fingers crossed we both do well🙂

That's exactly how my interview went except in reverse order. The first part was off script & the second part was fairly ok. You're right! The waiting makes you question everything. Wish they would just release the results. It's a crazy amount of time to be waiting & makes it even harder on anyone who doesn't get through

There has to be a reason for the hold up because there cant have been so many interviewees that it merits a 4-5 week delay, the number of regional candidates would be relatively low compared to the Dublin batches and they got theirs quickly

There has to be a reason for the hold up because there cant have been so many interviewees that it merits a 4-5 week delay, the number of regional candidates would be relatively low compared to the Dublin batches and they got theirs quickly

I agree. I know my region was only going to be a week of interviews. I was told we would more than likely have the results last week. Now they are saying they are waiting for panels to expire or saying they are waiting for Depts to get back to them with the list of vacancies. It doesn't make sense. I wonder may there have been complaints due to interviews. I'm only guessing

I agree. I know my region was only going to be a week of interviews. I was told we would more than likely have the results last week. Now they are saying they are waiting for panels to expire or saying they are waiting for Depts to get back to them with the list of vacancies. It doesn't make sense. I wonder may there have been complaints due to interviews. I'm only guessing

Thats possible, they may be using this time to review the notes taken by the PAS representatives to ensure consistency and fairness but Im only speculating

Thats possible, they may be using this time to review the notes taken by the PAS representatives to ensure consistency and fairness but Im only speculating

Speculating is all we can do. There definitely must be something up. Fingers crossed when we do hear it'll be good news for us. My major concern though is the report. I'm still hoping though

Speculating is all we can do. There definitely must be something up. Fingers crossed when we do hear it'll be good news for us. My major concern though is the report. I'm still hoping though

Fingers crossed. Best of luck!

Fingers crossed. Best of luck!

Best of luck to you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

There were plenty of vacancies in earlier rounds so an urgency for placements. It may not be the case now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MUFC2019

Addle wrote: »
    There were plenty of vacancies in earlier rounds so an urgency for placements. It may not be the case now.

That may well be the case but once you have been interviewed you are entitled to your result.

• Advertisement

When I queried the delay with PAS this morning (stating that previous results for interviews in this campaign were issued within 2 weeks), this is the response I got:

The results will issue the week commencing 4th of November. I envisage they will issue in the early part of this week.

I keep trying to just forget about it but then end up getting frustrated.

When I queried the delay with PAS this morning (stating that previous results for interviews in this campaign were issued within 2 weeks), this is the response I got:

The results will issue the week commencing 4th of November. I envisage they will issue in the early part of this week.

I keep trying to just forget about it but then end up getting frustrated.

I'm the same! Making people wait 4/5 weeks for results is very unfair. & the thing is you never know with PAS so can't help wondering will it be today, this friday etc.

I'm the same! Making people wait 4/5 weeks for results is very unfair. & the thing is you never know with PAS so can't help wondering will it be today, this friday etc.

Exactly, they are known for saying one thing and doing another. I dont think people would mind if we were told at the start it would be first week in November and felt we could trust what we were being told. Its the lack of transparency that has people contacting them so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Beebeebug

Any bets on this eve?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

Beebeebug wrote: »
    Any bets on this eve?
    My gut feeling is no :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Beebeebug

Anna1976 wrote: »
    My gut feeling is no :(

It's getting a bit ridiculous at this stage isn't it!

Beebeebug wrote: »

It's getting a bit ridiculous at this stage isn't it!
    Kind of!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BMHOPE

Well it looks like next week, it will be. More waiting but at least it's coming near. We can relax and enjoy this weekend. At least will stop obsessing over emails, no need to check them hourly till Monday 9 am.

I've heard some people have gotten results this morning, is that true, I've heard nothing yet?

• Advertisement

Anna1976 wrote: »
    I've heard some people have gotten results this morning, is that true, I've heard nothing yet?

Nothing here yet but hopefully thats true

Advertisement