Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Harris Bipods still best

Options
  • 04-03-2019 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Having being out of the game for a few years as some may know due to unforeseen circumstances,
    Are Harris bipods still in a league of their own?
    Want to get a 6-9" swivel and wanted to run it by those more up to date than I.
    Thanks for your help and excuse the multiple posts in the past few days, I'm making progress again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Just ordered a Harris 6-9 swivel with the notched legs which I didn't have the last time.
    Hopefully they're still the best for the money...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Harris are good, there is doubt about that, but i've owned and own Harris, Deben, and some others.

The really cheap ones, which i never expected to be good, were alright to poor. Cheaper material in them, but they functioned and i use them for parts. The Deben has not let me down and i have it as long as the Harris ones. Has all the same features just at 30% less than the price of Harris.

There are other brands out there now like Atlas, and Spartan (i think) and while they look the part and probably are as good if not slightly better, the price can be eye watering with some over €300 (IIRC)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Harris are good, there is doubt about that, but i've owned and own Harris, Deben, and some others.

The really sheap ones, which i never extected to be good, were alright to poor. Cheaper material in them, but they functioned and i use them for parts. The Deben has not let me down and i have it as long as the Harris ones. Has all the same features just at 30% less than the price of Harris.

There are other brands out there now like Atlas, and Spartan (i think) and while they look the part and probably are as good if not slightly better, the price can be eye watering with some over €300 (IIRC)

Yeah mate, was window shopping Atlas last night and 450+ wasn't uncommon in the listings.
    Glad I chose the Harris again couldn't fault it the last time really.
    Think I had a 9-13 last.
    Went with 6-9 this time around.
    Hopefully it's ok for prone in field

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

kay 9 wrote: »
    Went with 6-9 this time around.
    Hopefully it's ok for prone in field
    Quick check, and not always the perfect guide, but will give you an idea.

Go out your back yard, and get the rifle and lay down with it. No need for a bipod. Use a rest or anything really to prop up the rifle and keep adjusting the height until you get to a comfortable shooting position where it doesn't strain your neck or cause eye relief/parallax issues.

Now make sure the rifle cannot move or fall, and measure the distance from the underside of the fore-end to the ground. Whatever this distance is, is the height you need.

As i said above it's not ideal and won't allow for shooting downhill or uphill where your position is different, but it's usually not that much of a difference. It also won't allow for kneeling, but then again i never liked the 9-13 i had on my rifles and stuck with the 6-9 for any prone shots and sticks for anything else.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Quick check, and not always the perfect guide, but will give you an idea.

Go out your back yard, and get the rifle and lay down with it. No need for a bipod. Use a rest or anything really to prop up the rifle and keep adjusting the height until you get to a comfortable shooting position where it doesn't strain your neck or cause eye relief/parallax issues.

Now make sure the rifle cannot move or fall, and measure the distance from the underside of the fore-end to the ground. Whatever this distance is, is the height you need.

As i said above it's not ideal and won't allow for shooting downhill or uphill where your position is different, but it's usually not that much of a difference. It also won't allow for kneeling, but then again i never liked the 9-13 i had on my rifles and stuck with the 6-9 for any prone shots and sticks for anything else.

Good guide. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Meanwhile, for those of you for whom the train has not left yet, Rigby of London are selling a spiffy-looking tripod embossed with the 'double R' of Rigby rifles logo, and a bit leather on the legs, for a mere £730. It's actually made by Spartan, themselves not exactly shy about posting impressive prices for their products...

It DOES come in a neat leather sheath, though, just in case your bearer gets tired of carrying it around loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Having being out of the game for a few years as some may know due to unforeseen circumstances,
    Are Harris bipods still in a league of their own?
    Want to get a 6-9" swivel and wanted to run it by those more up to date than I.
    Thanks for your help and excuse the multiple posts in the past few days, I'm making progress again.

Still by far the best for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

I went from a Rusty old Deben which ive had years to a Neopod :pac:

I gave 320 sterling for it and its really a neat piece. I was worried it may be a bit tender but it is a sturdy little fecker. The term the "best" is really relative to what you're looking for.. Its say the best in that price bracket but by no means the best in the weight bracket.

Spend what you want to spend and if you dont like it live learn and flog it.

Same with all gear.. theres a word out there that starts with O and ends with nions and it will make you cry..

its not onions.

'hdz

So far, Harris 6-9" swivel & notched leg bipod purchased, Tier one 0moa picatinny rail purchased, wicked a67ic purchased, new gun safe, Butler creek easy rider sling purchased, Winchester flex sxr slip purchased, can't decide on rings, Burris xtr signatures are preferance so far.
    Fingers crossed licence comes through lol.
    I'm tempted to look into new glass as well but it's too much until I get licence in the post.
    The bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16 50 will do for now.

BTW, are Leica still tops when it comes to rangefinders?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Heavy handed

Can’t fault the Harris bipods. I’ve two 6 to 9 with one been a swivel with notched legs and the other a non swivel unnotched. Both still going strong and have no reason to spend the eye watering money of the higher up models like atlas and so forth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

They're a really solid bipod and they hold alot of their value when it comes to resale.

The one thing I'd recommend is buying a Pod lock so you can lock out the swivel feature once you have it in the correct position.

They're a really solid bipod and they hold alot of their value when it comes to resale.

The one thing I'd recommend is buying a Pod lock so you can lock out the swivel feature once you have it in the correct position.
    Think I have that lock at home somewhere from the last one.
    Previous was a 9-13 swivel. Should work on three 6-9.

The swivel sensitivity was adjustable on the my last one

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

I have Harris knock offs and can't fault then. 6-9 and 9-13 for €11 each and built just as good as Harris and with me they get abuse so need to be well built. €11 how could you go wrong

Benny mcc wrote: »
    I have Harris knock offs and can't fault then. 6-9 and 9-13 for €11 each and built just as good as Harris and with me they get abuse so need to be well built. €11 how could you go wrong

I've had the a couple of the budget ones before and the corrosion was my biggest flaw tbh.
    Which brand you got

I've had the a couple of the budget ones before and the corrosion was my biggest flaw tbh.
    Which brand you got

No name brand but have them on two rifles that are used a lot and no corrosion yet .

9-13

Advertisement