Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

That was my thinking Mad_maxx. Hopefully I/we won't regret it. PM me if you get a Test Drive before I do if you think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

How 27 extra Kms make it long range is beyond me

27!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Is it getting into the cars that's the problem or the seating position once you're in? If it's the getting in you could program the seat "Easy Entry" position to be at the highest setting. It would always be in that position then for exit/entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Putting kids in their child seats ,the stopping down

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Any ideas when/if the 7 seater version will be available for Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nobody knows but very unlikely it will be this year. They don't make 7 seaters in China. Perhaps once we get the cars from Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mobyduck

2019 M3LR owner here. Always thinking about the next car, but likely a year or so away. Model Y top of the list, but more recently had head turned a little by IONIQ5 and EV6 as they are both also hatchbacks and could be seen as cutprice Model Y alternatives.

Sat in IONIQ5 today and liked it - pretty spacious and as above, a hatchback with decent sized boot - but to get to equiv spec of Model Y (AWD, larger battery, upgraded interior etc) looking at price of €65K+, not far off Model Y prices - and car is still smaller than Model Y.

I also like being in the Tesla world with the non stop software updates so my head turning back to Model Y now.

Anyone else here having these types of conversations with themselves?

Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 are great cars. But you'd be off your head to spend €65k on one. My sister in law just got her Ioniq 5, €39k on the road. Nothing beats it at that price. Personally I wouldn't want to spend any more on one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭sk8board

Completely agree. Just saw nobby review an id4 gtx for €70k 😂

Saw that and a very similar review of that same car by fullychargedshow yesterday. They agree with us. Mad money for cars like that 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You can blame the lack of SEAI grant, and our VAT+VRT rates compared to most countries for that insane price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭sk8board

True - but if you want a go, that’s the price. It’s truly awful value.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Mr Q

You can buy a lower spec GTX delivered for 55k. AWD and for 2.4k more than the RWD equivalent some people might go for that version.

Not sure why VW then charge 72k for the higher spec one with the same power and battery. Hard to see many people spending 72k on a VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mobyduck

These comments on price of specced up lesser cars do make the Model Y look like better value - even if I can’t quite get myself to spending €70K on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..and the ever expanding SuC network in Ireland, do not underestimate that, I had a 750km trip over the weekend with 4 flawless fast charges at the SuCs, no let downs, no throttling, no queuing

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

this guy really lashes the ride comfort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlQwxLkv2z4

That's 3 months old. Everybody has since said the same. All widely reported in this thread. All based on reviews of the same 2 Dutch reg cars 😂

If just one of all those reviewers would have been a little bit more pro-active and switched the wheels to standard 19" ones and reported back on those. Instead they all ape each other about the stiff suspension and harsh ride. Except Quentin Wilson, refreshingly enough.

so there all wrong and Quentin Wilson has it right ?

Yes, they are all singing from the same hymn sheet. The wrong sheet.

You know this how ?

Tesla is generally well liked by motoring press

• Advertisement

No, of course they are all right in saying that the car they tested had a harsh ride. Because it obviously has. Quentin Wilson is a racing driver, he likes fast cars (that of course tend to have stiff suspensions) and he owns a Model 3 Performance. So he says the car is grand 😁

If I were the 99th reviewer of that exact same Dutch reg LHD Model Y (having seen dozens of the previous identical reviews), I would have been bold and got smaller wheels mounted just for the test, and then reviewed the car. Maybe some reviewer will still do this. The car might be very different then, who knows.

As is, these reviews will have surely put off many potential buyers in Britain and Ireland buying a Model Y. Possibly unnecessarily. Personally I would never buy a car without test driving it myself anyway, but I'm always surprised by the number of people who would.

The Y is around years in the States, if it was as harsh a ride as those reviews it would be nowhere near as successful and Tesla would have made adjustments to the car by now

Americans have much lower standards when it comes to cars ,always have

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

"Personally I would never buy a car without test driving it myself anyway"

We ordered our Model 3 having never driven any EV before, ever.... and only drove an EV for the very first time about 2 weeks before collection date!!

and since then have only driven 1 other EV, a Model S 90D

Bought 4 of my last 5 cars unseen as UK imports, all due diligence carried out, no issues, didn't even bother test driving one at a dealership

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Increase in battery size. The 3 got a similar battery bump.

Not quite

My last 2 EVs were bought sight unseen, one nearly 20k and one just over 50k

• Advertisement

Because a couple of leading reviewers started the trend and then everyone followed.

I saw one review that started along the lines of: I got in this expecting to criticise the ride, even had the piece written, but it's not bad at all.

Advertisement