Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society Athy Golf Club March 16th 10.45am

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Golfnut203

Actually not as bad as i thought this morning, looking at the rainfall radar there is lots of dry weather just to the south of athy so hopefully it pushes over us at 11 bells.

Just invest in good raingear

In athy weather clearing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thanks to my playing partners Kingswood Rover and Post Punk, didn't let the horrendous first two holes where we got soaked get to either of them. After that it was spitty and pretty windy. Athy had some variable greens, most decent pace but some very soft so hard to judge some longer putts.
    Somehow I came in with a good enough score to win, didn't realise until Kingswood called it out to me walking off 18, just concentrating on getting in dry so never noticed the score creep up.
    Thanks to committee and Captain for the full faith in the (eventual) weather, nice bag towel as first prize, will come in handy to clean my mucky irons :pac:

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

RESULTS

1st Slave1 - 41pts

2nd Golfhead65 - 37pts

3rd Pakman - 35pts

NP - Kingswood Rover LD - Princess Poppy

2's - Slave1 - Golfnut203 - Spacecoyote

Great to see a full house considering the weather that was forecast. Turned out great apart from rain at the start and the Sun did shine for the most part! hope everyone enjoyed the day and the course. See you all at The European
    20th April.

Regards Your Captain

Bruce Almighty :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,775 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

First outing back in a few years - work , life, lack of balance - etc.

And I'm loving Benny's positive perspective on things. Wet is a state of mind , someone else claims "humans are waterproof":D

Fair play to Benny79, as you arrived, he had the black book , the cards, the money , the handicaps, memberships all sorted. There is so much work going on behind the scenes in the outings. So fair play to all involved.

When we started it was fairly miserable and on the first green it looked on the edges of unplayable, as the ball swam to the hole.

But slowly things improved with each hole and by 7 there was a hope of dry weather and "sun" :)

Played with SEORG and Doublecross , two excellent ball strikers with superb short game and solid putting. We all had good, bad and horrible golf at times. But you could see excellent golfers in there.

The great thing about the boards' golf society is you are playing with lads that love their golf. All want to play more golf if they could and know the game well. The 3 balls worked a treat and the pace of play was excellent considering the very poor conditions at times.

I think we seen the course in a poor state, but you could see it is a nice layout and in summer it would be a real treat. There is a great shape to the back nine with lovely changes in direction and strategy. One hole we were not overly impressed with was the sort of unfair index 1. Green touching on Augusta National or Corballis. But there were excellent holes from the turn before and after this.

As we came in there was great action in the impressive clubhouse , good food , the rugby match, old faces and new, old usernames and new. Personalities in the real world can be totally different to the perception.

Benny in last - Long Drive notice in hand, nearest the pin in hand, the black book in hand . Again - being captain is a tough number. But lads had cards sorted for him.

It was funny to hear him calling out the usernames in a public forum , sounding them off as the names were totally natural - anyone listening in would think we were mental patients out for the weekend. "Spacecoyote" :),

Some impressive scores in - and 1 over 40 is remarkably good in the conditions.

Besides the banter, the one thing I missed from the Boards outings were the crazy drives (car type) , down roads you have never been. Seeing parts of Ireland you never see (Nurney, The Curragh) . It has been some journey that the society has been on. The distance traveled to hit a little white ball (with strangers) is remarkable.

Hopefully I catch a few more this year. Well done to Benny and the society / committee for a great event.

After 8 hours on the road you hit home , at times you think that seems crazy for a game of golf. But there is just some X factor in the society. It is hard to put your finger on it.

Thanks again. Great day out.

• Advertisement

Glad you enjoyed it Fix! 16 is one of the hardest index 1's I've ever played.. but I parred it today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

benny79 wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed it Fix! 16 is one of the hardest index 1's I've ever played.. but I parred it today! :D

Hope you bought yourself a pint Benny

benny79 wrote: »

one of us should have pared it easy - 3 great drives into dip.

We didn't get the dip and it is a green you need to have played.

In summer can you get to the top level above dip (after dip)

Great course captain enjoyed playing with you and the other two lads Looking forward to next outing

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Great outing Capt, sorry i had to leave but i was in work at 5 pm. 1 Pt after first 2 holes got it back to level two's before losing a ball on the 15th. Ah well made a few new friends which is the main thing. See you all in Pat Ruddys.

• Advertisement

one of us should have pared it easy - 3 great drives into dip.

We didn't get the dip and it is a green you need to have played.

In summer can you get to the top level above dip (after dip)

Yea. But it's not the percentage shot as you can over hit it into the trees straight ahead or bad shot is downslope or upslope. Key to hole is 5i/resucue to left Hand side of pole where it's flat. Then rescue or 3w to left Hand side of green or just short preferably. Chip close 1 putt.. very hard green to hit in 2 and hold plus you can easy 4 putt even the low lads struggle.. I was a member 10 years including today probably parred it 8/9 times..

Hardest index 1 I've ever played.. I actually played one summer evening, just playing that hole! As it's a score wrecker...Then it plays on your mind goin to 17 which can be tough..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Good day out today again with Boards. Played with Roadrunner & Golfhead, 2 solid golfers.

Put their games together and you'd probably have a perfect golfer. Roadrunner a fantastic driver & iron player, Golfhead with a fantastic short game & a serious putter.

Had a mixed bag myself. Had 2 birds in a row, par 5 5th, followed by the par 3 6th & had a great shout at a bird on the index 1 too, hitting a perfect 2nd from a tricky downhill lie.

Mixed that up with a few fat irons. Short game was way off, but putted fairly solidly.

Finished with 33 points off 10 on the day. Left a fair few points out there.

Great to see a few new faces & catch up again with a few old ones too (though if I see any more of Fix I think he'll start haunting my dreams :D)

See you all at the European, where I'm guessing 41 won't be the winning score :)

Great work again Captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Great day despite the inclement weather at times and 2 great playing partners in Space and Roadrunner with scoring very close right down to the last few holes and it turns out that space is a close neighbour so I can see a few shared road trips in the future What I like about this society is the variants in the people you meet and after my 1st 2 outings I only wish I'd have joined years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭a post punk

Thanks to my playing partners kings wood and the winner Slave1, a great score of 41. Not surprised as both players were very relaxed and easy going to play with and hitting some great shots.
    My own day was mediocre again but it’s early days yet in the season and hitting the range every week!hopefully it pays off!!short game was very poor yesterday and got stuck around a lot of trees at times:) FairPlay to Benny for adding Athy to the list , I don’t think we seen the best of it yesterday. It had a nice flow to the course and in particular the par 3’s looked great with good distances off the tee. This is 1 to revisit during the summer months.
    Looking forward to the European which I hear is going to sort out the Men from the boys........
    Happy St. Patrick’s Day
    PP

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Thanks to my playing partners kings wood and the winner Slave1, a great score of 41. Not surprised as both players were very relaxed and easy going to play with and hitting some great shots.
    My own day was mediocre again but it’s early days yet in the season and hitting the range every week!hopefully it pays off!!short game was very poor yesterday and got stuck around a lot of trees at times:) FairPlay to Benny for adding Athy to the list , I don’t think we seen the best of it yesterday. It had a nice flow to the course and in particular the par 3’s looked great with good distances off the tee. This is 1 to revisit during the summer months.
    Looking forward to the European which I hear is going to sort out the Men from the boys........
    Happy St. Patrick’s Day
    PP
    You too Post Punk, and we never even got to discuss the best genre of music human kind has made:D "Were a garage band we come from garage land ohhhh ohhhh" See ya in Pats Gaff

Great to see a few new faces & catch up again with a few old ones too (though if I see any more of Fix I think he'll start haunting my dreams :D)

Not sure how to take this :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Not sure how to take this :P:D

I think it's a form of PTSD

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rainbow Warrior

Just to say thanks Capt Benny and Committee members for organising yet another great outing. I really enjoyed the course even in the rain and it didn't really last too long even though the weather forecast looked a lot worse. I think we were lucky as most other courses were closed on Saturday due to the rain. I made the mistake of trying out a new pair of contact lenses and I just couldn't judge distances so they came out after 4 holes. That's my excuse for the 'bad' golf and scratches on the front 9 and I'm sticking to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭a post punk

You too Post Punk, and we never even got to discuss the best genre of music human kind has made:D "Were a garage band we come from garage land ohhhh ohhhh" See ya in Pats Gaff

Ha ha not many people get the username!! Hands down the best type of music to play aswell 👍👍:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Lots of rain fell the night before. Greens were very soft. Pitchmarks were very deep, plugging on the green in some cases. Most courses in the country would have been closed.

Had some issues with the flagpoles in the wind. The flags were laying over on their side. This cost me a chip-in on the first, grumble grumble...

Layout of the course was lovely, it's a special piece of land, and you never feel squashed.

Company was super with spacecoyote and golfhead. As it happens, I had traveled to st andrews recently with space (got stuck beside him and fixed for 5 hours on the runway before the plane took off!) and played some golf with him over there, so after this additional round space is now starting to feel like a good buddy :)

Golfhead has something I don't. An excellent memory of events, things, stories and people. He strikes up a conversation with everyone, and always make a connection, knows their mother/brother/sister or dog! I really enjoyed my round with both.

In the rain we started solidly. I felt I was doing okay. I suppose Golfhead probably took a few holes to get going.

I've recently been getting serious sh**ks though, these struck early in the round and upset me thereafter.

I had a bad day on the greens, particularly short putts. They were extremely soft with the overnight rain and some were damaged by the flags blowing over they kind of moved the ball their own way. I'd come back to athy again as I know we were even lucky to get out in those conditions.

My partners played some good golf in the middle of the round when I started fading. Space hit two birdies in a row but Golfhead was able to continue playing well right up until the end which ensure he had the best score out of us. He's got a great shortgame and is bang on with his driving iron. With a fighting spirit he Will be a real asset to boards when he gets on the Ryder jug team at the end of the year.

Quick shout out to the captain who was all over this one. He was right about the weather too, it turned nice in the end for our last 12/13 holes after the initial rain. The turnout on the day for such conditions was excellent, well done everyone for making it a good outing. Looking forward to next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Official Results

475907.jpg

Advertisement