Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl, Clonsilla

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chrisam

Is there no option to challenge the answers they give? Is it just ask a question, get an answer, and that's it? Genuine question btw, I'm not being smart.

Yes, unfortunately the councillors get bypassed if the development is a SHZ. I wouldn't have thought that the Lidl site met that category though?

Interestingly, re cycle lanes on the Clonsilla Rd (at that location), I attended a Kellystown webinar last month - Kellystown being the huge greenfield site, being developed south of Clonsilla, on the other bank of the canal. The Fingal planners were promoting a cycle & pedestrian bridge, across the canal, to Clonsilla village, til it was pointed out how unsafe Clonsilla Road is for cyclists! No planning there, to be sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Chrisam wrote: »
    Y....The Fingal planners were promoting a cycle & pedestrian bridge, across the canal, to Clonsilla village, til it was pointed out how unsafe Clonsilla Road is for cyclists! No planning there, to be sure!...

Something similar with one of the proposals for the bridge at Coolmine, it was said it wasn't an option because it would be too narrow for cycle lanes. Even though the roads feeding it, don't have cycle lanes.

No vision at all.

The worst part is these aren't isolated cases, it pretty much how most things are done all the time.

https://irishcycle.com/2020/12/10/limericks-only-protected-cycle-lane-so-far-built-with-e10m-july-stimulus-funding-removed-already/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Phil.x wrote: »
    It's a Strategic Development Zone, so as far as I know it's all rammed through and any objections made by the public or councillors, (TD's??) cannot and will not be entertained at all. So in other words brown envelopes AFAIC.
    The only SDZ in Dublin 15 is Hansfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Pat Dunne wrote: »

That's what i was talking about, station road.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chrisam

Pat Dunne wrote: »

I presume that's bigger than SHZs ... Windmill and Kellystown are 2 of them. 211 and 1500 units respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Chrisam wrote: »
    I presume that's bigger than SHZs ... Windmill and Kellystown are 2 of them. 211 and 1500 units respectively.
    Pat is right that Hansfield is a SDZ (Special Development Zone).
    For clarity, SHD is Special Housing Development, for a single development.

Kellystown is not SDZ, it's just got a LAP (Local Area Plan) that will guide development. Castlethorn Construction have submitted a SHD application for the eastern end of Kellystown (before the LAP has been adopted!).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭fletch

Went today to pick up some groceries. No traffic light system controlling numbers in and out. It was very busy with no social distancing. Prefer the layout of the other Lidl's locally (Clonee, Blanch centre etc) where there is more of a focus on groceries and less of the middle aisle specials. The packing area in the new Lidl is a definite improvement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Passed today in daylight on the bike, has anyone noticed the token cycle lane running the length of the shop along the Clonsilla road? Probably 200 meters with a 15cm sharp kerb one end and a dead end at the traffic lights the other.
    Have the planners not learned anything from years of ineptitude with such bad design that makes it impossible to use. Why not keep it all as a footpath that might serve some use?

In fairness it's consistent with all the other stuff they randomly scatter all over the place completely uncoordinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭Treppen

I know a lad in the council and he said they get euro grants per kilometre of cycle lane. Doesn't matter if it's joined or not. So they're desperate to throw a few metres randomly wherever they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats not quite accurate. Any major development with main road frontage is always conditioned to upgrade nearby junctions, lighting, cyclepaths etc. That work can be localised or it can go so far as putting in whole new roads, depending on scale.

The Council are then supposed to come up to the mark with improved connections etc, but heaven knows how long you'll be waiting for that.

Didn't do that in Castleknock....

beauf wrote: »
    Didn't do that in Castleknock....

For Lidl?

Obviously it has to be appropriate measures to the location too. Junction and traffic signal upgrades were carried out on the developer's dime in that case. Not that it made much difference, it was a terrible site for such an extensive development.

My only point is they aren't consistent. Not being consistent makes the cycling network a joke. We've paths in the middle of nowhere going nowhere. We've busy roads with no cycling infrastructure. Inexperienced cyclists struggle to make basic journeys across D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Polar101

Any news about a coffee shop opening?

All I've seen is what might be a planning notice on the side of the building (haven't read it, so no idea what it might say).

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Planning notice on side of Pharmacy is looking for change of use from retail to service. Dentist is mentioned (I'm assuming something like smiles). Pity, would have been handy to have a pharmacy there.

That would be for the pharmacy unit only, didn't see anything for coffee shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Barbers is almost open. Just needs equipment fitted by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Daeltaja

Shame it is such an eyesore! I get what they were going for, classic Barbers etc, but it looks like my mother designed the branding in MS Paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Polar101

There's a planning notice dated April 12th on the wall of the "coffee shop" unit now, it said something like "the application is to convert unit 2 from cafe use to pharmacy use".

Sounds like I'll have to keep going elsewhere for my coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Online record of the application for this is available here

And a previously granted application was made for change of use of unit 1 from retail to a dental surgery, so a bit of a change overall in going from a retail/coffee shop combination to pharmacy and dentist, but in saying that it's 6 months since this was granted and no apparent movement yet, so the latest one could end up being similarly slow and speculative.

• Advertisement

Far better a larger pharmacy and a dentist's surgery than another flippin coffee shop. Besides both Lidl itself and the petrol station across the road sell fresh coffee for those needing a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Don't agree. Clonsilla is crying out for a coffee shop. None within walking distance. Guy from Doppelgängers Coffee told me they were trying to get in there, but didn't get a response. Now we know why. Coffee shop and chemist would have been ideal combination. No need to have a dentist in retail location that attracts footfall.

It's another example of false promises been added to controversial planning applications to minimise objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Lidl does not sell anything that could be described as coffee.

But the point of having a coffee shop is not to get a hit and go, it's somewhere to sit down or meet people. Clonsilla doesn't have anywhere like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fatnacho

There’s already 3 pharmacies within a 2km radius of Lidl in Clonsilla. Don’t think there’s a need for another one. D15 is not exactly short of dental practices either.

As far as I can remember, there was a plan for a cafe/coffee shop on the ground floor of the development beside the Applegreen station. Probably end up being another fast food takeaway restaurant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

Pharmacy still appears to have stalled. 8m in no hurry for it to open but does anyone have any news. Would have loved a coffee shop within walking distance

I see new signs up for it now with "coming soon". So it appears to be moving along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Major competition is the discount chemist, prescriptions and most other things way cheaper than elsewhere. Maybe the chemist should sell Coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I see it's a pharmacy chain Careplus that will operate this unit. The Clonsilla Pharmacy next to Spar did a lot of upgrade work recently. I'm sure they won't be happy with the new competition so close by!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Daeltaja

Yeah, a real shame at the lack of coffee shop in Clonsilla. Have to travel to Lucan or Blanch village for coffee and chat with friends.

Advertisement