Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 Open to be played in Hoylake - one in the eye for Trump?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Norm Peterson

Pints? wrote: »
    Exactly. Otherwise the Master's would have to be played on a golf course not steeped in racism.

But it isn't anymore, frankly it was shameful that they supported the club for so long whilst it had it's outwardly racist rules in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

But it isn't anymore, frankly it was shameful that they supported the club for so long whilst it had it's outwardly racist rules in place.
    This is about sport and history. It's not about politics and what the majority of the outside world want.
    If you don't like it then tough, go watch something else.
    This game is too great to be dragged down by people's beliefs about how the world is supposed to be.
    I'm not racist btw, just don't want golf to ever be about pleasing anyone's interests outside of the game.

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is about sport and history. It's not about politics and what the majority of the outside world want.
    If you don't like it then tough, go watch something else.
    This game is too great to be dragged down by people's beliefs about how the world is supposed to be.
    I'm not racist btw, just don't want golf to ever be about pleasing anyone's interests outside of the game.

Fair enough but in all fairness the rules in Augusta for far too long were disgusting and really the golfing authorities should have done something about it.Their rules should have appalled people within the game and not been done to please people outside of the game. I don't want politics taking over sports but with regards to Augusta they really should have done more a lot sooner to push the club forward.

The bolded part is completely stupid way of thinking as that's what a lot of people do if something pisses them off about a sport be it directly connect with a sport i.e. slow play in golf for example , or something less directly connected. Sports generally should be doing everything possible to capture as many fans not the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Fair enough but in all fairness the rules in Augusta for far too long were disgusting and really the golfing authorities should have done something about it.Their rules should have appalled people within the game and not been done to please people outside of the game. I don't want politics taking over sports but with regards to Augusta they really should have done more a lot sooner to push the club forward.

The bolded part is completely stupid way of thinking as that's what a lot of people do if something pisses them off about a sport be it directly connect with a sport i.e. slow play in golf for example , or something less directly connected. Sports generally should be doing everything possible to capture as many fans not the opposite.

Like what? Specifically.

ligerdub wrote: »
    Like what? Specifically.

Black people were barred from being members.

All caddies had to be black for a long time , Clifford Roberts the chairman of Augusta National famously said " as long as I'm alive all players will be white and all caddies will be black"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

All caddies had to be black for a long time , Clifford Roberts the chairman of Augusta National famously said " as long as I'm alive all players will be white and all caddies will be black"

Providing much needed employment to a minority group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

The same guy had no problem in accepting Lee Elder as a player over 40 years ago. If you're good enough to play in the tournament you get in, which has pretty much always been the case. Not only that Elder has rarely missed a visit in the time since, and has always noted how welcome he felt there, more so than other tournaments he played in.

Plus I don't think it's particularly fair to cast aside an entire venue on the basis of one autocrat's approach to things either, particularly one long since gone from the earth.

There have been feck all members of Augusta full stop. It's entire existence centres around hosting one of the most prestigious tournaments there is.

I think we're all a little sick of the outrage mob these days.

Rikand wrote: »
    Providing much needed employment to a minority group.

I don't think that was the reason for the policy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This has gone far beyond golf, we are done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement