Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 208e 50kWh

Options

Comments

I see that Peugeot now claim a 362km WLTP range for the e208. That is 6.5% up on the original claim of 340km.

I still wouldn't expect more than 230km out of the car on the motorway at low temperatures.

They have been playing around with bottom on top buffers in firmware for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I am due to get the firmware updated in the car this month so it will be interesting to see how it performs

I increase in the charging curve will have the most impact but a bit of extra range is a nice bonus

It makes sense that the were conservative originally and good to see the are making changes

e208 has now got a new gear shifter which is just a toggle switch. I figure this is more a cost saving than an improvement as the old gear shifter looked and felt like a quality item. It can be seen in online configurators.

https://www.largus.fr/actualite-automobile/peugeot-e-208-et-e-2008-2022-une-autonomie-en-legere-hausse-10763400.html

French text.

These hardware changes to e208 are the reason why wltp range increased on the e208 from 340km to 362km. I'd expect every PSA eCMP product will benefit similarly and the changes should help with poor range at lower temperatures in winter.

Also note that in 2023 the e208 will receive a facelift with newer batteries and a new motor. I'm not sure if the motor will be better or just cheaper as NIDEC is a joint venture between PSA and a Chinese manufacturer. The current motor is from a Continental subsidiary.

Does anyone know of the e-208 having issues with the new esb 50kw units?

Trying to figure out if it is the chargers or my car, I suspect the chargers as a few others seem to have issues getting them to initiate a charge also

I have no problems on any other type of unit just the new 50kw ones and is starting to be a problem on journeys as they upgrade to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Is it a problem validating the RFID card, or does it fail at the actual handshake part with the car?

The problem is that even though the charging protocol is standard, how it gets implemented varies between different companies

So if other e-208s are having this issue then yes it could actually be a problem with the car and those chargers. A software update of whatever is at fault would hopefully fix it

However if it's just your car then it's probably either an issue with your car or account. Or you just have bad luck with getting dodgy chargers. Sometimes dirt or stones get lodged in the plug and interrupts the communication

One thing I'd suggest trying would be to hold the CCS plug into the socket when it's handshaking with the charger. Because the cable is heavy it pulls the plug downwards, and can break the connection for the control pins at the top

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Question for any e-208 or e-2008 owners out there. Has anyone done a long journey of around 500km or more in a single day. Something like Dublin to Cork and back?

My wife would like something that can reasonably do long journeys for her next car. We've got the ID.4 which will be the preferred car for that, but there's still a possibility that she might be sent somewhere on the other side of the country as part of work and the ID.4 might be needed at home

So I was looking at something like the e-2008 which has a smaller battery, but charges quickly enough that the journey should be doable

I assume it is the handshake with the car

It is really odd, in that I can pull up to a site with a 50kw and a 150kw and try and use the 50kw because my battery isn't too low so I try the 50kw and it fails to initiate a charge then hop on the 150kw and it works perfectly so it isn't the account or card or I assume the car

I have tried and failed at 3 different 50kw machines and I have witnessed an Ionic not be able to charge at a 50kw before I tried so I don't think it is specific to the 208 but felt I should ask as I have not seen many other posting about issues in the ecars thread

Tried holding the cable to assist the connection with no joy but as the 150kw cables are way heavier and they have no issues I assume it isn't the connection

I am at a bit of a loss to be honest, I am getting the latest firmware installed this week as it improves the charging speeds so I will try another 50kw then and see if it helps

Yup, I have done similar and assuming there are chargers available in and around your route then it is totally doable but obviously would take longer than the ID4 due to smaller battery and thus more frequent charges but the car does charge quick enough

I went from 10% to 80% in 28 mins yesterday on a Rapid charger and with the new firmware that should get closer to 20 mins

play around with Abetterroutplanner for the journey and it will give you accurate journey times and charging times, it is likely the best way to see if it would be livable with

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yep just the use the ABRP app to plan your charging, we use the Circle K In Cashel and it works well from Dublin. They have both ESB fast chargers and Ionity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

I did Dublin, Limerick, Ennis, around the Atlantic Way, Oranmore and back via Athlone & the Galway motorway back to Dublin in July, 468km. Corsa-e, I charged for 2 hours total over 5 stops. Left at 100%. As Bjorn says, ABC's Always Be Charging, so I topped off along the way, Portlaoise, Birdhill, Ennis, Oranmore and I think a few minutes at Ionity past Athlone (or was it Enfield?!) just for safety. Do-able, just keep topping up so any long queue for a charger or broken charger doesn't ruin your day. Use Plugshare to get on the ground reports for each charger and other apps to plan your route around fastest chargers available but have a backup and bring type 2 cable with you and possibly a granny lead for good measure. You car insurer should be able to tell you if they can recover a stranded out of charge car, ring them to check. Very unlikely, but good to have in the back pocket. Then take your time, don't sweat it and enjoy the journey!

I took a look at ABRP, it seemed a tad pessimistic and put in 4 charging stops. I played around with the speed and number of stops settings and got it down to 2 approx 30 mins stops at Ionity when I dropped the speed to 100km/h (which is probably the speed she'd be doing anyway)

So while it isn't the biggest battery car around it definitely seems doable to so the long drive in one day with no destination charger

I feel like the car can manage more than that though. I wonder is the data in ABRP a bit out of date and doesn't reflect the latest software updates

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Good point about the software update - I wonder if feedback was left could it be updated? I've a 578km journey this weekend to take, will note charging stops and feed them back here as I got the ECU update earlier this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Test drove an e208 during the week. Wasn't impressed with some aspects of the peasant spec on the Active model. Wind-up rear windows and a cruise control stalk that looks and feels like it came out of a panel van for example. GT spec much better I assume.

However, generally impressed overall. Quite a small car, significantly smaller than the ID3 I tested the other week. But jeez it's a good looking car. And with a nice bit of get up and go for only 136bhp or thereabouts.

GT has all the bells and whistles alright

The e-208 is a smidge small but is a lovely place to be in and very comfy on a long drive

I test drove an ID3 as well before buying the e-208 and preferred its size but not its interior or exterior and I couldn't justify the increased cost either

The car has more than enough power, it is nippy and has plenty enough to overtake when you need it

GT Pack has all the bells and whistles(mostly) GT is a bit below. They have been playing around with spec.

Visually the GT Pack stands out on the road from allure and lower trims. The cheaper headlights and lack of tinting on windows has more impact than you'd expect.

I went to two main dealers, neither of which could tell me the difference between GT and GT Pack.

Currently looking at this car versus a new Leaf and ID3.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I looked at this when moving from our Leaf, just the GT and there was one available used from NI at the time, a looker with good features but ultimately let down by range

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I'm looking at the 40kWh Leaf so the range isn't really an issue for me. Could have a new Leaf in Jan apparently so there's that too. Couldn't get a straight answer from Peugeot dealer re delivery, maybe Feb, maybe later (which I can understand to a degree).

• Advertisement

Can anyone please explain the differences, if any, between GT, GT Line, GT Premium and GT Pack?

Seem to only be able to get GT currently, and only standard cars at that. Cannot spec any optional extras such as 11kW charger, leather seats etc.

It seems you can only get Active, Allure Pack and GT in Ireland.

For anyone who has one, a software update is due in early January.

The only fault I have with our Allure e208 is the entertainment screen goes blank randomly. Not often, but enough to be annoying. They keep saying a software update will fix it and they've taken diagnostics and sent to the factory on France but it still happens.

Hopefully this software update does the trick, dealer will take it in and do it for us.

They've just released another new firmware to improve charging and all PSA Stellantis cars should benefit.

They really are extracting the most out of a 50kWh gross(46kWh Summer/41kWh winter) battery.

According to a German forum the charging speed now is:

Start-SoC: 17% battery temperature: 27 Grad

98 to 92kW until 37% after 7 Minutes

75kW until 62% after 15 Minutes

55kW until 72% after 21 Minutes

50kW until 85% after 28 Minutes

25kW until 97% after 41 Minutes

The increase from 82% to 85% is great and if you want to go off for a quick meal the car will be charged by the time you get back now that charing speed from eighties to 97% has been improved.

Between this and the changes to range at the end of last year I have no problems recommending any of the PSA Stellantis cars.

I did a 500km round trip yesterday in a Stellantis eCMP platform car. Ionity Fast charge network is great with a car which can exploit it.

We use Ionity at the Circle K in Cashel the handful of times we have to do Dublin to Cork each year in our e208.

Always spare chargers and wed be stopping for kids toilet/food break anyway.

Has anyone gotten an existing car updated to this type of firmware?

I tried to get my own car updated to the last upgraded charging firmware but the dealership was having none of it saying that the car was up to date with the latest approved software from Peugeot

My car with a firmware from early 2021 received a firmware for fixes at the first year service. I was told I would only receive a firmware if one was recommended. The invoice for servicing mentioned two software updates were applied but I have no idea as to what either were.

the firmware/software got updated to something alright but there has been no change to the charging curve

When I specifically requested a firmware update for the charging curve they said they only update to the most recent approved update from Peugeot but honestly it seemed like they didn't know what they were talking about or cared

• Advertisement

based on VIN a peugeot dealer should have the ability to tell if a firmware is available and recommened for upgrade. They were able to check while making my appointment for service.

Advertisement