Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Last Mile

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Can't believe mods allow and actually partake in dragging threads through the gutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

RayCun wrote: »
    If someone was using a different mode of transport but is now completing the last leg of their journey, is that last leg less than a mile? If yes, why not walk it?

They are in a hurry.
    They have an injury.

I use a folding bike sometimes, it shrinks the walking part of my commute from 25 mins to about 5mins. Which is useful chunk off my commute. Especially if you are on the clock.
    I'm also often rushing to make it to something else on the way home and have minimal time between connections. It can make all the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

beauf wrote: »
    it shrinks the walking part of my commute from 25 mins

that's a couple of miles then, yes?

anyway, folding bikes are not shiny enough for the commuters of today! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Does it make you feel superior to bleet on about how people should walk... and how they would benefit from it? Is it because you are a runner and feel superior? Do you think everyone should be like you? Are you compensating for other areas of your life? Relationship troubles? Theres obviously something profoundly wrong with you if you cant get beyond the idea of walking as transport.

This thread isn't about options for getting to the bus, it is specifically asking about scooters and experience with scooters.

You obvuously have nothing worthwhile to add except 'walk'. I suggest you concentrate on the deficiencies in your own life & let others get on with theirs.

lol, walk on
    May I refer you back to my previous post scooterboy.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

that's a couple of miles then, yes?

anyway, folding bikes are not shiny enough for the commuters of today! :)

No I'm a slow walker & Injured.

Folding bike no longer fits on the train its too packed.
    Scooter would be more compact and easier to roll than lifting the foldup.

beauf wrote: »
    No I'm a slow walker & Injured.

Folding bike no longer fits on the train its too packed.
    Scooter would be more compact and easier to roll than lifting the foldup.

There is no train too packed it can't fit a folding bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

God forbid...

Same set of questions really
    If someone was using a different mode of transport but is now completing the last leg of their journey, is that last leg less than a mile? If yes, why not walk it?

Maybe because many people have a physically demanding job and are tired at the end of their shift.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There is no train too packed it can't fit a folding bike.

What gives you that idea?

What gives you that idea?

The size of a folded bike gives me that idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

*On Topic*

Given the major problems the government is going to have in hitting it's environmental targets and commitments to the EU on emmisions I think continuing to ignore the likes of electric scooters and other similar means of local transport is beyond ridiculous. The technology is out there and it is fantastic. Vehicles that could transport you from your suburban home into a city centre and back all the while emitting no emissions at all and saving you from having to shower/change like you do on a bike, and all the while not impacting traffic has got to be a massive draw. I simply can't understand a resistance to it. Although as with most things law related, things get complicated very very fast.

Allowing electric personal vehicles to be used on the roads is a must. Restrictions like max speed would make sense (25km/h like pedal elecs).

Problem is the train is so overcrowded... its no longer worth the hassle for me. Ist Russian roulette if you get space. Less of an issue if you are going terminus to terminus.
    Some of the scooters are a good bit smaller. Not the Xiaomi Mi365 that thing is too big IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So you've not witnessed how crowded they get during peak times?

When I was commuting on trains, it was against the flow of rush hour and I was very grateful for it. I'd see people stuck on the platform in coolmine heading towards town because there was no room for them to get on.

So you've not witnessed how crowded they get during peak times?

When I was commuting on trains, it was against the flow of rush hour and I was very grateful for it. I'd see people stuck on the platform in coolmine heading towards town because there was no room for them to get on.

Yes I have. I stand by what I said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Allowing electric personal vehicles to be used on the roads is a must. Restrictions like max speed would make sense (25km/h like pedal elecs).

the insurance & tax requirements need to be tackled as well and will remain one of the biggest cost barriers until it is. There is no real requirement for such a vehicle to need insurance, any more than a bicycle does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

the insurance & tax requirements need to be tackled as well and will remain one of the biggest cost barriers until it is. There is no real requirement for such a vehicle to need insurance, any more than a bicycle does not.

It would be wise for people to have personal insurance though as anything can happen when out and about.

The ev scooters with seats on them have been known to be confiscated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was wondering on the way in this morning (as a chap whizzed past me on a bike, doing about 40km/h without breaking a sweat) what would happen if you shacked up to the RSA to do a motorbike or moped licence test on one of them.
    i suspect they'd ask you for proof of insurance and knock the wind out of your sails.

also, the bike this chap passed me on, looked like a proper factory made one rather than a home-rigged one, but had either a battery or gearbox slung off the bottom bracket. i'd guess it reduced the clearance under the bottom bracket by about half, which didn't strike me as wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

i was wondering on the way in this morning (as a chap whizzed past me on a bike, doing about 40km/h without breaking a sweat) what would happen if you shacked up to the RSA to do a motorbike or moped licence test on one of them.
    i suspect they'd ask you for proof of insurance and knock the wind out of your sails.

also, the bike this chap passed me on, looked like a proper factory made one rather than a home-rigged one, but had either a battery or gearbox slung off the bottom bracket. i'd guess it reduced the clearance under the bottom bracket by about half, which didn't strike me as wise.

There would be other barriers to doing a test on one. Lack of license plate, no indicators or brake lights, no mirrors. As well as all that is mentioned above.

As for the pedal assist bikes that go at those speeds, they are relatively common and I would bet they are sold in Ireland to unknowing customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

As for the pedal assist bikes that go at those speeds, they are relatively common and I would bet they are sold in Ireland to unknowing customers.

I would say that's true. I recall being able to buy an (illegal) in-car radar detector in Arnotts many years ago...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

DCC now wants these scooters outright banned on roads and cyclepaths.

DCC now wants these scooters outright banned on roads and cyclepaths.

Be nice to link to that.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109582416&postcount=674

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Law means electric scooters are a non-starter on Irish roads
    Minister for Transport has asked RSA to find out how e-scooters are regulated in Europe
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/law-means-electric-scooters-are-a-non-starter-on-irish-roads-1.3819528

Advertisement