Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another licence application

Options
  • 24-02-2019 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

So I decided to get a nice little .22 bryno for plinking the rabbits on new land and I’m filling out the application on it. Do I have to fill out landowner information again and have them fill it out and medical history etc.
    Reason why I’m adking is I already have the shotgun and the .223 and it’s the same landowners and same medical history as my last two licence application
    Just seems like an effort.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

So I decided to get a nice little .22 bryno for plinking the rabbits on new land and I’m filling out the application on it. Do I have to fill out landowner information again and have them fill it out and medical history etc.
    Reason why I’m adking is I already have the shotgun and the .223 and it’s the same landowners and same medical history as my last two licence application
    Just seems like an effort.

Every new application needs to be filled out the same, in full, except for prepopulated renewals. Otherwise you are only giving them an excuse to return as not filled out completely.

So yep, you need to fill it out. It's a pain but sure they ask for a photo even for renewals just in case you changed your face completely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

amadablam wrote: »
    Every new application needs to be filled out the same, in full, except for prepopulated renewals.

So yep, you need to fill it out. It's a pain but sure they ask for a photo even for renewals just in case you changed your face completely :D

I asked forearm dealer and he said I don’t need to. So now I don’t know. He said no need to. But you say there is. Probably be best to wait till tomoro morning and ring the FO and just ask. Because if I have to gather up information on the landowner I could be waiting days before I see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Each application is treated individually. If you have 20 guns for the same area of land you have to fill in the same info for the 20 applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

dodderangler,
    Don't waste your time by 'Not Filling' out the forms.
    As said above you need to do it with every form that has a relevant blank space.

In the past month or so I've handed in 4 forms with 3 of them being renewals and all 3 handed in together. So that was 3 forms with same personal details, medical info, referees, 3 photos, 3 letters of club membership etc. Pain in the arse but thems the rules.

One year I forgot to include one referees DOB, lucky the Guard processing it just rang me and filled in the details, how many here have had their forms returned over minor details left out and ultimately their applications delayed?..... countless.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

It'll only take you a few minutes to fill in the application fully. Don't expect a Garda to go searching for the other information it'll only delay your application.

It's better fill it in fully than get a call two months later saying your application hasn't been processed yet because it's incomplete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

cause if I have to gather up information on the landowner I could be waiting days before I see him.

You don't need to meet up with the landowner - you just put down exactly as you put on the other two licences.

Do you not need two landowners permissions if not in a gun club?

J.R. wrote: »
    You don't need to meet up with the landowner - you just put down exactly as you put on the other two licences.

I do need to meet up with him. I don’t have his contact information or his address or anything. That was all on my licence application for the first rifle I got 4 years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I asked forearm dealer and he said I don’t need to. So now I don’t know. .
    I have seen/heard some of the worst advice come from RFDs and because of their position people take it as Gospel.

You MUST give all details for each new application regardless of the amount of firearms you have or do own. Even for a sub you may be required although it's not initially requested as you are simply changing over firearms.
    J.R. wrote: »
    That is the accepted amount. Although FYI i still cannot find the legislation that dictates how many. It's like the 100 acres for a deer license, etc. I believe, and i'm still looking so might correct myself later, that it's one of those things that has become so common that its accepted as law when in fact it may not be.

For the moment and to be covered i'd give in two.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    I have seen/heard some of the worst advice come from RFDs and because of their position people take it as Gospel.

You MUST give all details for each new application regardless of the amount of firearms you have or do own. Even for a sub you may be required although it's not initially requested as you are simply changing over firearms.

That is the accepted amount. Although FYI i still cannot find the legislation that dictates how many. It's like the 100 acres for a deer license, etc. I believe, and i'm still looking so might correct myself later, that it's one of those things that has become so common that its accepted as law when in fact it may not be.

I only needed one landowner permission because of the amount of land he has so it worked for me to just have one with a lot of land. It’s getting a hold of him again is the problem to fill this out for me.
    Such an effort but I suppose it’s just the way things are in this country.

It’s getting a hold of him again is the problem to fill this out for me.

When you meet him this time and fill in all his details on the application form - take a photocopy of the application form before you send it in or take photos of it with your phone.

That way you'll have all the details in future if you need to change/upgrade.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Although FYI i still cannot find the legislation that dictates how many. It's like the 100 acres for a deer license, etc. I believe, and i'm still looking so might correct myself later, that it's one of those things that has become so common that its accepted as law when in fact it may not be.

The Gardaí mention it here

https://www.garda.ie/en/About-Us/Online-Services/Firearms-Licensing/POPULAR-QUESTIONS-IN-RELATION-TO-FIREARMS-APPLICATIONS-20-1-16.pdf

Q. If I am a member of a game or other gun club, do I need to also provide written permission from two landowners?

A. No. But an issuing person may require further information from an applicant re land permission when assessing an applicant’s ‘Good Reason’ to have the firearm. However this requirement may be fulfilled by virtue of the applicant being a member of a game or other gun club and such club having designated land or lands to shoot on. Section 5.2 applies only to circumstances where an applicant is applying for a limited certificate, which is still provided for under the Wildlife Acts.

Advertisement