Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tikka dealers? I'm back

Options
  • 24-02-2019 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

I've been out of shooting the last few years due to personal circumstances.
    I sold my 223 well, I'm having to start afresh almost as I've lost contacts and knowledge of dealers etc.
    Who are tikka dealers in Connaught preferably?
    Is it a whole new licence application again?
    I've inherited a rifle and shottie from my late father, what's the process in getting these registered/legitimised etc?

Are Tikka still the best bang for buck accuracy off the shelf.
    Considered a 243 for a change but to be perfectly honest the 223 is plenty adequate for my foxing requirements.
    Tikka t3 light stainless is my current taste.
    Have a bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x50 to go on top for now.
    Had a burris 6.5-20x50 that I preferred tbh.

Excuse the long winded post.
    Any help and advice very much welcomed.

Ps. Is the t3x the new version

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Welcome back:D, The Tikka T3X is indeed the new upgraded version of the tikka t3 , Tom Kelly in lahardane co.mayo has Tikkas on the wall at the min
    If your going for a new rifle it will cost a few hundred more than a new tikka did a few years ago.. about 1500? for a stainless tikka T3x lite
    For your applications they will all be new applications requiring your to fillout a Fca1 form and get all your affairs in order such as secure storage and land permission or gun club membership or range membership etc..
    Read through the forum here Cass has some very informative posts on the whole licence application fiasco , the question your asking has been answered id say a hundred times by now. Take it as though youve never had a licence before because the guards more than likely will see you as that if your licences have lapsed for a long length of time
    Goodluck with the applications

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Welcome back:D, The Tikka T3X is indeed the new upgraded version of the tikka t3 , Tom Kelly in lahardane co.mayo has Tikkas on the wall at the min
    If your going for a new rifle it will cost a few hundred more than a new tikka did a few years ago.. about 1500? for a stainless tikka T3x lite
    For your applications they will all be new applications requiring your to fillout a Fca1 form and get all your affairs in order such as secure storage and land permission or gun club membership or range membership etc..
    Read through the forum here Cass has some very informative posts on the whole licence application fiasco , the question your asking has been answered id say a hundred times by now. Take it as though youve never had a licence before because the guards more than likely will see you as that if your licences have lapsed for a long length of time
    Goodluck with the applications

Thanks for that.
    Is applying for 3 licences at the same time overkill and looking for trouble.
    Tikka have upped their prices . thought 1100 would get me a new one. Ah well, if it's 1500 so be it..

kay 9 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    Is applying for 3 licences at the same time overkill and looking for trouble.
    Tikka have upped their prices . thought 1100 would get me a new one. Ah well, if it's 1500 so be it..

Not a hope youd be lucky to get a second hand .223 for that price, the .223s hold their money really well

Are the sako a7 still on the market or are they just a glorified t3? The t3 tac used to be priced at just over 1500.
    1500 isn't too bad I guess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've been out of shooting the last few years due to personal circumstances.
    Welcome back Kay9. Nice to see you posting again.
    Who are tikka dealers in Connaught preferably?
    I believe there are no Tikka dealers anymore just RFDs that stock them. Not being pedantic, just most RFDs shoul be able to get one or have them in stock. Look at the new Wildhunter shop in Galway, same with Duffy's.
    Is it a whole new licence application again?
    Yes, if you have let them lapse or not renewed any license you had. Full process, just for familiarisation, here (posts 5,6,7).
    I've inherited a rifle and shottie from my late father, what's the process in getting these registered/legitimised etc?
    Not scare tactics, but if you have no license for them make sure they're stored in an RFDs or range. Don't be in possession of them.

As for licensing them it's the exact same process as buying new from an RFD, just tick the inheritance box on the FCA instead of the RFDs pulse id. It's covered in the above link to the three posts.
    Are Tikka still the best bang for buck accuracy off the shelf.
    90%+ of lads will say yes, i'd say no. Personal choice really.

The Tikka are great for performance and accuracy, but the price is over rated as is the stock, etc. for me. I'd be looking for Howa, second hand Sako 85, or new A7. Then checking out other brands such as Savage just to see whats there.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Welcome back Kay9. Nice to see you posting again.

I believe there are no Tikka dealers anymore just RFDs that stock them. Not being pedantic, just most RFDs shoul be able to get one or have them in stock. Look at the new Wildhunter shop in Galway, same with Duffy's.

Yes, if you have let them lapse or not renewed any license you had. Full process, just for familiarisation, here (posts 5,6,7).

Not scare tactics, but if you have no license for them make sure they're stored in an RFDs or range. Don't be in possession of them.

As for licensing them it's the exact same process as buying new from an RFD, just tick the inheritance box on the FCA instead of the RFDs pulse id. It's covered in the above link to the three posts.

90%+ of lads will say yes, i'd say no. Personal choice really.

The Tikka are great for performance and accuracy, but the price is over rated as is the stock, etc. for me. I'd be looking for Howa, second hand Sako 85, or new A7. Then checking out other brands such as Savage just to see whats there.

Appreciate the detailed post Cass, howa would be my second choice as well.
    Need to price the a7 against the t3. If there's not much in it I'll go with the a7.
    I'll check out savage as well.
    Rem are still hit and miss with regards to accuracy out of the box I'm guessing?

Surely the accuracy of the axis ii is better than this? Those are 308 specs which makes it even more concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Sako A7 isn’t available in .223
    So many choices in that calibre. Tikka is hard to look past and a huge array of aftermarket parts make them very customisable.
    I had a Sako 75 laminate, lovely rifle and action but I grew to hate the stock on it and very few parts available. I eventually sold it.

lefthooker wrote: »
    So many choices in that calibre. Tikka is hard to look past and a huge array of aftermarket parts make them very customisable.
    I had a Sako 75 laminate, lovely rifle and action but I grew to hate the stock on it and very few parts available. I eventually sold it.

Tikka is first preference but I'm open to suggestions.
    Can a 243 still be got for foxing or have licencing laws got more stringent?
    The sako 75s are holding their value very well

Surely the accuracy of the axis ii is better than this? Those are 308 specs which makes it even more concerning.
    Never shot one in 308, but a quick look at your link and i see the rifle is 1:10 and the test rounds were 155 and 165. Other than being too light, imo, the NOsler partition are a terrible round. Truly terrible. I've used them and in my Remmy that will group sub 1/2" at 100 yards it'll only do 1.5-2" group.

So take from that what you will. I cannot vouch for it doing better but i'd imagine with a better round and something more than a front sandbag that groups would improve.
    lefthooker wrote: »
    Was thinking 243.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Spoke to the local garda today. Have to get them into an rfd and then apply from new.
    No big deal I guess.
    Considering swapping the 22wmr for the 223/243.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

tikka, Remington and Howa are the only rifles i'd recommend, shoot foxes and deer with a howa 1500 in 243 accurate and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

Price.......
    Mate just put a deposit on a T3 TAC cheap at €2100.
    Me I've a Sako 75 laminate varmint heavy barrel in 308, hitting sub MOA all day. Keep a look out on the secondhand market the Sako and Tikka come up now and then.
    IMO Sako are the nearest you'll get to a custom rifle without paying the big money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Also have a look at the steyr pro vermint. I bought one late last year and I am delighted with tho overall performance of the gun

https://www.steyr-arms.com/en/weapons/hunting-rifles/mannlicher-pro-varmint/

pm. wrote: »
    Also have a look at the steyr pro vermint. I bought one late last year and I am delighted with tho overall performance of the gun

https://www.steyr-arms.com/en/weapons/hunting-rifles/mannlicher-pro-varmint/

Keep in mind you cant rebarrel a Steyr like you can with a Tikka,Sako,Howa,Remington,Savage etc.. their barrels are sweated in
    Now this may no be impoortant to you but with other brands you have the option of re barreling later in the rifles-life

Put a deposit on a t3x earlier tonight.
    It was either the Savage axis (didn't seem to be free floating) , ruger (didn't like how it felt for some reason) or the tikka.
    Have heard so much about them I decided to give it a go.
    Have 3 licences to apply for.
    Is it too many in the one go?

Have my deceased fathers two guns to sort is why I've 3 to apply for.
    Have two fca1s filled with the intention of going the other at a later date.

Maybe two is too many at once.
    What you fine folks think?
    Thanks.
    Fingers crossed this works out OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

As long as you have valid reason for all it doesnt matter whether you do 1 now or 3. The end result will be 3 any way. You will probably be asked a few questions as to why all together but as long as you have answers I dont see a problem.

What did people use in the past as valid reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

In reality there are only a couple of reasons. Hunting eg vermin and game (both big and small). On farms or with a club.
    Or target shooing at a club or range.

• Advertisement

Is it too many in the one go?
    Maybe two is too many at once.
    What you fine folks think?
    From a legal point of view there is no limit to the amount of firearms you can possess, the frequency of applications, etc. None.

Once your reason for them is valid there shouldn't be a problem.
    The reasons for the firearms should be your own and be valid. Not being a dick, but if you apply for a firearm and cannot give a good reason or a true reason you may be "found out" and refused.

As i said i'm not being a dick, or at least not trying to be one, just you have good reason for them so use that. As an aid i'd say:
    1. Shotgun -
      • Clay pigeon shooting - Provide membership to a clay range.
      • Hunting - Provide gun club membership or a couple of private land permissions.
    2. Rifle Rimfire -
      • Target shooting - Provide range membership
      • Hunting small game/vermin - Provide gun club membership or a couple of private land permissions.
    3. Rifle Centrefire (non deer legal) -
      • Hunting small game/vermin - Provide gun club membership or a couple of private land permissions.
    4. Rifle Centrefire (deer legal) -
      • Hunting large game/deer and vermin control - Provide Deer license and gun club membership or a couple of private land permissions.

Don't forget that when applying you must also detail the reasons for the amount of ammo you want as well as the reasons for a suppressor if you want one.

I wrote this to help a guy looking to increase his ammo limit but it's as apt for someone applying. Just pick the ones appropriate to you.

Re: Section 4.1 - I request the maximum rounds of ammunition on my license be increased to (insert amount) for the following reasons:
    1. Empty (fired) casings are treated the same as live rounds as per the Firearms Act, 1925 where it states that "ammunition for a firearm is any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition", with component part being the bullet, the casing, the propellant or the primer. So my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired rounds in my possession.
    2. My current allowance of 25 rounds means i can only have one box of ammunition as all 223 ammunition is sold in either 20 or 50 round boxes.
    3. With my current allowance of 25 rounds if i fire one box of ammunition (20 rounds) i must safely and legally dispose of those empty casings before i can legally by another box. As the empty casings are classed as live rounds i must find an authorised range or scrap merchant which requires me to travel excessive distances to find such a place.
    4. I regularly do vermin control on the lands i have permission for. This may vary from two to six times per week and my current allowance only permits me to carry one box of ammunition meaning i must make a return trip to the registered firearm dealer between each outing as well as disposing of the empties as per the means above between trips to the dealer.
    5. Some ammunition comes in 50 round boxes but even for the 20 round boxes, buying these in bulk can save on trips to the dealer, cost as they are usually a bulk sale price, and means that i have a reliable supply of suitable and safe ammunition to suit my rifle.
    6. Each different type of round/bullet performs differently in each persons rifle. My rifle is set up to use one particular type and if i cannot bulk buy this type i must use another. As it won't perform the same i cannot be sure it is zeroed and therefore safe. As zeroing outside an authorised range is illegal it means i must wait to the ammunition i use to come back into stock or if it doesn't to join a range simply to zero my rifle which is excessively expensive and somewhat redundant as i have no interest in target shooting.
    7. Being forced to join a range to keep zeroing my rifle for each different type of bullet is not only excessively expensive and a cost i should not have to incur but may lead to me being FORCED to make a fraudulent application because my interest is NOT in target shooting but i would have to declare such interest when applying.
    8. The Commissioner's Guidleines clearly set out that the minimum amount of ammunition to be used a BASE guide for each activity:
      • Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds.
      • Deer Gun – 200 to 260 rounds.
      • Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock – 500 to 750 rounds.
      • Target Shooter (member of authorised club) – 750 to 1,000 rounds
      A single shotgun is listed as having 100 rounds, while a deer gun is down as 200-260. There is no guideline for a vermin caliber rifle or the act of vermin control however as the guidelines set out a 200-260 minimum for a deer gun and deer stalking is only for 6 months of the year (not year round like vermin control) i believe this to be a much better starting point than my current limit of 25.

There are other factors but they are more aimed at target shooter. Such as:
    1. I regularly take part in target competitions and actively attend target ranges for practice. As a result of this I can go through a large quantity of rounds in a short period of time.
    2. As a member of a range that allows reloading i must have empty/new/fired brass as well as a supply of bullets which requires my allowance to be sufficient to allow for these components as well as the live/finished round.
    However you should only list those that apply to you.

As for the suppressor:
    1. To aid sound reduction of the firearm when used around livestock and bloodstock.
    2. To aid sound reduction so as to not alarm people in the vicinity.
    3. Unsafe practice of wearing suitable hearing protection while stalking / hunting
    4. Protection of personal hearing
    5. Improved accuracy therefore aiding with the humane dispatch of prey due to reduced recoil etc
    6. Ideal for vermin control.

Lastly, and just to finish off the guide, is a step by step guide to filling out the FCA1.

You want to be as detailed as possible, but without writing a novel.

Fill in sections:

For the following sections, just fill them in, but for the most part extra information is not necessary:
    • Section 1 - Tick Firearm Certificate and in the box below tick "I have not held a certificate for this firearm in the previous three years".
    • Section 2.1 - Fill in all the personal information stuff. Everything.
    • Section 2.2 - Give name, address and phone number for your GP, and any other doctor you might be visiting.
    • Section 2.3 - You need two people to vouch for you. Supply their name, address and details in this section.
    • Section 2.4 - Tick the boxes as appropriate.
    • Section 2.5 - Supply details of your competence, or if you've done the course just write "Copy of cert attached". Then attach a copy.
    • Section 3.1 - Fill in the details of the gun you've bought here. All the info will be on the docket the dealer gives you.
    • Section 3.3 - Write in the dealer PULSE ID. It'll be a 4 digit number that the dealer uses. Then his name.
    • Section 3.5 - Tick "YES", and then "NO". Make sure you have at least a trigger lock bought for the gun. This is the minimu security needed.
    • Section 4.1 - Tick English, and below that write in the amount of rounds you want. I'd apply for betwee 250 - 500 rounds.
    • Section 4.2 - Tick Hunting. No need for target shooting and you might be required to show membership if you do. You can tick it if you want, it's your chice.
    • Section
    • Section 5.1 - Tick yes (no need for licenses as your firearms license covers you and you're not shooting deer, only pheasant)
    • Sign it, and date it.

Ignore sections:

You need to provide more information for some sections on a separate piece of paper, labelled "Additional Information". See which sections apply to you, and fill in the following for those sections:
    1. Section 2.1 - Previous Address: If you have lived elsewhere provide thos addresses.
    2. Section 2.5 - Proof of Competence: Supply copy of your competence certificate.
    3. Section 3.5 - Secure Storage: List your security measures as you have done. For a shotgun its a trigger lock and stored in three pieces around the house. You may be asked for a safe, but the Super will let you know.
    4. Section 4.1 - Amount of Ammo: I am requesting 250-500 (example) rounds of ammunition for the following reasons:
      • Empty (fired) casings are treated the same as live rounds as per the Firearms Act, 1925 where it states that "ammunition for a firearm is any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition", with component part being the bullet, the casing, the propellant or the primer. So my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired rounds in my possession.
      • I regularly take part in clay shoots and actively attend clay ranges for practice. As a result of this I can go through a large quantity of rounds in a short period of time.
      • Buying bulk rounds of ammunition to reduce trips to dealer and for cost implications.
      • Distance to dealer being excessive & inconvenient.
    5. Section 4.2 - Reason for Gun:
      • Control of vermin on my lands
      • Control of vermin on lands nominated in my permissions
      • Clay pigeon shooting
      • Hunting of game during the open seasons.

For your first licenses you need to be as complete as possible, but for any additional licenses over the years you'll find some of the above does not need to be filled in.

Thanks for the detailed replies Cass.
    Gave the applications to the local Garda this evening.
    He said all was in order.
    Didn't see your posts until now and didn't know I needed to give a reason for number of rounds required.
    Valid reasons etc I got covered.
    Hopefully all is ok.
    What's the average waiting time at the moment.
    I'm guessing it varies from region to region.

Nearly applied for a 243 but apparently our super is not a huge firearm fan and I don't want to be refused.
    Besides, three 223 is more than adequate for my needs at the moment.

Advertisement