Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric, Hydrogen & Hybrid Electric Buses in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yeah, the fuel cell just uses an air intake. Storing oxygen complicates it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

PA1 and PA5 are out on driver training today
    Broadstone PA 1-20
    Harristown PA 21-41
    Phibsboro PA 42-57
    Summerhill PA 58-74

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

See Donnybrook won't be getting any any time soon, pity, can't give any feedback

See Donnybrook won't be getting any any time soon, pity, can't give any feedback

Next batch I say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I thought the 15 was getting them?

• Advertisement

GT89 wrote: »
    I thought the 15 was getting them?

The 4,122,123,140 is what they be on.

ax586 wrote: »

I wonder will they stray on to other routes at times especially at weekends. Also we'll probably see SGs and GTs on those routes cascade onto other routes.

The 4 is becoming the new 46a always seems to get the new buses first lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ax586 wrote: »

Jays, how do they fit that route number onto the display :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭ITV2

PA1 the first on 74 ADL Enviro 400ER Hybrid Buses for Dublin Bus in the new Transport for Ireland Livery is seen on driver training for Broadstone Garage staff, the route 140 will go over to this type on April 12th, PA1-20 will be allocated to Broadstone Garage, PA21-41 Harristown, PA42-58 Phibsboro and PA59-74 Summerhill.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ITV2 wrote: »
    PA1 the first on 74 ADL Enviro 400ER Hybrid Buses for Dublin Bus in the new Transport for Ireland Livery is seen on driver training for Broadstone Garage staff, the route 140 will go over to this type on April 12th, PA1-20 will be allocated to Broadstone Garage, PA21-41 Harristown, PA42-58 Phibsboro and PA59-74 Summerhill.

Lovely picture, the yellow and green of the new livery is nicely contrasted with the daffodils :)

Looks well, both the new livery and and the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Has anyone seen this Chinese built Higer bus in Dublin recently.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/51049926126/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interesting, looks like being trialled for the NTA tender.

They have an Irish website, so they most be relatively serious about targeting the Irish market: https://higer.ie/

The Steed EV bus they have on the website is too short and has a too small battery for the NTA tender, but your picture above looks to be a different model, so this most be working on a longer model.

bk wrote: »

They have an Irish website, so they most be relatively serious about targeting the Irish market: https://higer.ie/

The Steed EV bus they have on the website is too short and has a too small battery for the NTA tender, but your picture above looks to be a different model, so this most be working on a longer model.
    It's also door forward unlike any pictures of the Steed EV that I could find. It's not a requirement in the tender but it kind of is.

You'd imagine they'll apply for the OPW tender with the Steed EV. They've already supplied three to NPWS for national park shuttles and it seems to fit the requirements.
    https://fleet.ie/higer-steed-to-service-glenveagh-national-park-in-donegal/

bk wrote: »

Their agent is hino on the naas road.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Here's a full electric in service for Local Link:
    https://twitter.com/LaoisOffaly/status/1375567760437182465
    Won't win any beautiful design awards, that is for sure.

Ugly front exterior and odd looking front due to being wheel forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dowlingm

One of the challenges Toronto has had with its current buy to test situation is that different manufacturers specify different chargers - I believe BYD has an AC system while Proterra and New Flyer use DC. Has NTA or EU defined a single charging system for buses, or are they keeping their options open for now even if that complicates the initial years of the rollout?

dowlingm wrote: »
    One of the challenges Toronto has had with its current buy to test situation is that different manufacturers specify different chargers - I believe BYD has an AC system while Proterra and New Flyer use DC. Has NTA or EU defined a single charging system for buses, or are they keeping their options open for now even if that complicates the initial years of the rollout?

They have specified CCS DC chargers in the tenders from what I remember.

The EU has standardised on CCS DC fast chargers for all new EV's in Europe, so we are pretty much avoiding the mess of incompatible chargers they have in the US * Even Tesla uses CCS chargers now in Europe the past few years and for their superchargers.

* Older cars like Nissan Leaf has Chademo and older Tesla's their own plug, but all new cars now have CCS.

BYD has moved to CCS in Europe for their EV buses. Strictly speaking they could still sell AC, but no one would be interested in buying it.

Such standardisation is definitely one thing the EU does right versus the mess you get in the US (yes I know, but it tends to spill over into Canada too).

Of course there is still room to mess up with the chargers chosen, different voltages supported, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Koln has used electric busses for several years and at the terminus there is an overhead unit and a pantograph style arm on the bus connects to it. As its two arms it looks to be DC, you can just about see it here

https://www.sustainable-bus.com/news/kvb-cologne-to-convert-six-further-routes-to-electricity-53-vdl-e-buses-ordered/

Was a regular user of the 133 and the bus was way quicker off the line than anything Dublin Bus has

So as I have mentioned Toronto is working with three bus companies and bought quantities of each bus to try to find issues with them in a way manufacturer demos might not reveal. It was supposed to be 20/20/20 but BYD messed up so 10 of theirs were revoked and it became 10/25/25.

This week the Transit Commission’s public agenda has a long report on the evaluation to date. Might be interesting reading for those wondering how Irish buses should be procured and assessed for follow on orders.

Evaluation was on obvious items like reliability, warranty, spare part availability, and energy efficiency but also completeness of training, bus driver ease of use, battery yield over different temperatures, quality assessment of the build factories, issues affecting bus lifespan etc etc. The buses were benchmarked against the current main hybrid diesel bus supplier, Novabus.
    https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2021/April_14/Reports/6_TTCs_Green_Bus_Program_Preliminary_Results_of_TTCs_Head_to.pdf

I mentioned above BYD’s AC charger - the report to indicate that it is actually better tech but they are now offering a DC option (same as the EU type I am assuming) as it is clearly a problem for customers like TTC who do not want to get locked into a single manufacturer.

Mentions of “hydro” in these reports don’t mean hydroelectricity; in Canada “hydro” is shorthand for electricity the way some in Ireland just say “the ESB”

Evaluation was on obvious items like reliability, warranty, spare part availability, and energy efficiency but also completeness of training, bus driver ease of use, battery yield over different temperatures, quality assessment of the build factories, issues affecting bus lifespan etc etc. The buses were benchmarked against the current main hybrid diesel bus supplier, Novabus.
    https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2021/April_14/Reports/6_TTCs_Green_Bus_Program_Preliminary_Results_of_TTCs_Head_to.pdf

Very interesting read thanks. For me this is the main take away fro the report:
    The lessons learned to date found no ‘show stoppers’ to the TTC’s progress toward full-fleet electrification.

While there were issues, non of them were show stoppers and they see no reason not continue switching their entire fleet to EV buses.

Given this trial was done in the harsh climate of Toronto, with lots of snow and ice, I think it bodes extremely well for EV buses in general and their use in the much more mild Irish climate.

One important difference I'd point out, BYD seem to be using buses they build in China themselves and they had issues due to lack of local maintenance services, parts, etc.

I think it is important to stress that the way they operate in Europe is very different. It really is a joint venture between ADL and BYD, if anything it is more ADL buses then BYD. Here the buses are actually made by ADL in their UK plants.

This is a very different business model then in the Americas. I don't think ADL-BYD would have any issues here delivering parts, maintenance expertise and even the upfront build quality. I think that would help avoid many of the issues they had in Canada.

I think it is the result of this experience, why BYD has wisely decided to partner with ADL in Europe, rather then go it alone. It brings in local expertise and maintenance network and I expect help avoid most of those issues.

I'd love to see a similar report into the ADL-BYD buses in London, I think that would prove more inline with what we might experience here.

BTW I find it very interesting that the issues faced for three manufacturers were mostly interior and exterior body build quality issues. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were little or no issues with chargers, battery or drive trains.

That says to me that a combination of ADL body and build quality with BYD batteries could be a very reliable bus.
    I mentioned above BYD’s AC charger - the report to indicate that it is actually better tech but they are now offering a DC option (same as the EU type I am assuming) as it is clearly a problem for customers like TTC who do not want to get locked into a single manufacturer.

The report says that AC is cheaper and easier to install, which it is, but I wouldn't say "better" necessarily. The downside of AC is it is much slower charging then DC. While that maybe ok for overnight charging, DC fast charging would be very useful for buses that come in during the day and get a quick topup charge if needed before going back out.

BYD's AC charging only goes up to 80kW, while depending on charger, CCS DC 350 kW is possible today and 450kW in future. I believe the faster charging speed of DC is well worth it, future proofed and give better fleet flexibility and usage. So even if more expensive, worth it.

BTW They use CCS Combo 1 (CCS1) in the US, while we use CCS Combo 2 (CCS2) in Europe. They are both DC fast charging and use the same protocols and largely the same, but slightly different shaped plug! :rolleyes:
    Mentions of “hydro” in these reports don’t mean hydroelectricity; in Canada “hydro” is shorthand for electricity the way some in Ireland just say “the ESB”

You are right, but interestingly the reason for the name is that Canada gets most of it's electricity from Hydoelectric (dams), followed by Nuclear. They have relatively little coal/gas, I think over 80% is hydro/nuke and as a result they have one of the cleanest power grids in the world. This is important as it means electric buses are as a result very clean too.

• Advertisement

bk - fair comment on the chargers - I was fixating more on the number of faults without reflecting that because only 10 BYDs were assessed, and over a shorter time frame, the number of cycles would have been fewer.

The Commission is also proposing in a separate report to engage the local electricity distributor (Toronto Hydro) and the main producer (Ontario Power Generation - Niagara Falls plus nukes) in a tripartite agreement to design and build the necessary power distribution and charging infrastructure (fleet is about 2000 buses) including power storage to provide more power at cheap overnight rates.

bk - fair comment on the chargers - I was fixating more on the number of faults without reflecting that because only 10 BYDs were assessed, and over a shorter time frame, the number of cycles would have been fewer.

Yep, even then the DC chargers seemed to have excellent uptime, 99% uptime is pretty great:
    The ABB DC charging system currently has a 99% availability rate and majority of defects have been easily resolved with a remote reset of the charger. Minor hardware failures of various converters and power modules have been quickly repaired by the charger manufacturer under warranty.

Sounds pretty good. The thing to keep in mind, it isn't really the plug that makes a difference, it is more about the design and reliability of a particular model of charger.

What we have seen with chargers used by the ESB, was that the first gen of chargers had lots of issues and often weren't working. But they have now started replacing them with a new model and they seem to be working really well, with great reliability. Similar with newer chargers used by Tesla/Ionity/etc.

So hopefully the NTA will choose a reliable model.
    The Commission is also proposing in a separate report to engage the local electricity distributor (Toronto Hydro) and the main producer (Ontario Power Generation - Niagara Falls plus nukes) in a tripartite agreement to design and build the necessary power distribution and charging infrastructure (fleet is about 2000 buses) including power storage to provide more power at cheap overnight rates.

Definitely, the NTA/DB/ESB will need to do something similar here. A large number of DC fast chargers in depots is going to put a large amount of strain on the local distribution network around depots. Upgrades in the area might be needed.

An interesting idea would be to put solar panels on the roof of depot buildings and use them to fill onsite batteries, which could then be used to charge the buses overnight, help take the strain off the local network.

Obviously they'd need to work out if that would be cost effective, etc.

Are the PA hybrid's are meant to launch with Dublin Bus on the 140 today?

I just watched a livestream of O'Connell St in Dublin just now. There was no sign of the PA's being on that route going through that location as of yet. They've have all been SGs so far. PA 5 also had a fault a few days ago while it was out on driver training recently & it had to go to back to the garage to be recovered.

Are the PA hybrid's are meant to launch with Dublin Bus on the 140 today?

I just watched a livestream of O'Connell St in Dublin just now. There was no sign of the PA's being on that route going through that location as of yet. They've have all been SGs so far. PA 5 also had a fault a few days ago while it was out on driver training recently & it had to go to back to the garage to be recovered.

I've heard they won't be going into service until DB return to M-F service

The first two PA's entered service today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭p_haugh

PA3 & PA6 to be exact

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes seen one on 140, wasn't looking for the number, very surprised they went with white display for the rear and at night they're way too bright at the rear.

Darren Hall's Flickr is showing GT 116 in the new TFI Hybrid livery. I love the black headlights on the front.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/51152836461/in/photostream/lightbox/

Bus Eireann announced last month that the redevlopment of Roxborough Depot in Limerick is now underway.

The depot will have updated facilities in place for the new hybrid buses which are apparently expected to arrive next year.

• Advertisement

That's the Higer Azure. It has a range of up to 370km apparently. A contender for the NTA tender.

Advertisement