Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Impossible Burger 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Think there comparing it to a proper medium rare burger with the juices flowing not the mc crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭emaherx

Think there comparing it to a proper medium rare burger with the juices flowing not the mc crap.

Not if it's indistinguishable from a Whopper.

emaherx wrote: »
    Not if it's indispensable from a Whopper.

The impossible burger bleeds, it's a lot different from a whopper. Is or was there some law brought in a good few years ago here saying burgers had to be cooked to a certain level from takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Unless a burger is made just before cooking they would want to be cooked properly. The increased surface area exposed would make it a higher risk cooking rare. Steak etc is sealed so less risk

That would be a bit of a coop for the impossible burger, bloody but safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Prediction here from mise.

People will be getting cancer from this made up junk in the future.
    If you want to eat meat. Eat meat.
    If you want to eat vegetables. Eat vegetables.

If you want cancer. Eat made up junk.

Personally I like my beef to bleed, but not so keen on burgers bleeding. And fecked if I want my vegtables to bleed.

The impossible burger bleeds, it's a lot different from a whopper. Is or was there some law brought in a good few years ago here saying burgers had to be cooked to a certain level from takeaways.

A lot different from a Whopper?
    476945.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Prediction here from mise.

People will be getting cancer from this made up junk in the future.
    If you want to eat meat. Eat meat.
    If you want to eat vegetables. Eat vegetables.

If you want cancer. Eat made up junk.

Almost every food has been linked to cancer these days.

The unfortunate truth is that something like 2/3 will suffer from cancer at some point as people live longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

A lot different from a Whopper?
    476945.jpg

All I can say is I hope it’s a big failure.
    Not because I don’t want veganism.

But this is the toe in the door for large commercial entities to mass produce all foods and replace healthy properly farmed foods, be that vegetables or beef. Vegans are being conned into thinking this is a tool in their arsenal against farming animals when in fact it’s a start to 100% commercial conglomerates owning food production.

Only fools think this is a good thing.

• Advertisement

Why does everyone think this is aimed at vegetarians, it's 100% aimed at meat eaters.

Why does everyone think this is aimed at vegetarians, it's 100% aimed at meat eaters.

But really it’s not.
    Meat eaters aren’t out there actively looking for alternatives.

We all know that this is a commercial hyper processed product to appeal to vegans and vegetarians who want to feel like they are eating meat.

Let’s at least all be grown ups and acknowledge the basics of the situation.

They don't have an alternative that's the whole point of the burger to give them one. That's the basics of the situation.

Em.....
    Meat eaters eat meat and have no issue with doing so. Why would they want an even more overprocessed substandard product that is most likely worse for them with a larger environmental impact (despite the claims to the contrary by the manufacturers)

They don't have an alternative that's the whole point of the burger to give them one. That's the basics of the situation.

They do have an alternative to this crap, it's called meat and if they want to reduce their meat intake there are already lots of delicious and healthy foods not made of meat.

No..
    They specificsally say they want to replace all meat by 2035, the CEO uses phrases like "crush the meat industry"

Lets not dolly this up as anything but a V & V push against animal farming and meat consumption.. Lets not pretend its designed as a product to co-exist along with traditionally farmed beef... Lets not be fools and tell untruths about the situation..

I'm happy if we call it as it is and let the public know what the addenda behind the product is.. But extremist veganism is well used to peddling propaganda and untruths to get their point across to their target audiences who are emotionally vulnerable people looking for a cause to rally behind giving themselves some sense of identity and mission in life, this is why so many teens fall for the extremist vitriol but soon after as they mature realise its real truth. Thats why we see such high signup and abandonment rates in veganism.. They join up their cult, shout at farmers, occupy farmyards, abuse people online, but the majority grow out of this extremist phase and move on with their life.. leaving ordinary vegans tarnished by their fascist legacy of intolerance and abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Xcellor wrote: »
    What is the "real beef taste"?

I've had beef burgers from good cuts of meat and without the right seasoning+cooking technique it's just a bland piece of protein with some fat and trace nutrients*.

You can apply the same seasoning+cooking techniques to plant based alternatives..

* Really - as opposed to this ****e?

Impossible burger ingredients
    Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12

Lol
    I'd expect little more from the usual preachings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

gozunda wrote: »
    * Really - as opposed to this ****e?

Impossible burger ingredients

Lol
    I'd expect little more from the usual preachings

What in particular is ****e?

What in particular is ****e?

soy leghemoglobin

It’s a sort of gmo product grown with yeast in great vats feeding the yeast with sugars.

It’s a brand new ingredient invented just for this product.

The resultant product isn’t 100% pure but instead ~25% of the product is made up of unwanted and often completely unidentifiable proteins which could have any number of long term effects on humans.

The product got FDA approval eventually after exhaustive 28 day testing on rats where hundreds of rats were killed, it’s likely lobbying and money rather than science got thin ingredient passed as is very much the American way of business and approvals.

So this highly overprocessed gmo vat grown ingredient with at best suspect safety levels is the critical ingredient in this silly product.

How Any self respecting Vegan can be behind this product with the amount of animal testing is beyond me.

_Brian wrote: »
    soy leghemoglobin

It’s a sort of gmo product grown with yeast in great vats feeding the yeast with sugars.

It’s a brand new ingredient invented just for this product.

The resultant product isn’t 100% pure but instead ~25% of the product is made up of unwanted and often completely unidentifiable proteins which could have any number of long term effects on humans.

The product got FDA approval eventually after exhaustive 28 day testing on rats where hundreds of rats were killed, it’s likely lobbying and money rather than science got thin ingredient passed as is very much the American way of business and approvals.

So this highly overprocessed gmo vat grown ingredient with at best suspect safety levels is the critical ingredient in this silly product.

How Any self respecting Vegan can be behind this product with the amount of animal testing is beyond me.
    Yeah I suppose there is a chance the ingredients could be harmful to humans however there are foods people eat daily that contribute to disease formation. Obesity and type 2 diabetes along with heart disease is killing thousands of people every year and it's not from eating impossible burgers.

I believe PETA have come out against impossible burger due to animal testing. Does the vision impossible burger has justify the means? Did they need to go so far to create a burger that was so close to meat? If it's aimed at meat eaters who are not concerned about ethics which it appears to be then maybe from the companies viewpoint it doesn't matter?

• Advertisement

Yeah I suppose there is a chance the ingredients could be harmful to humans however there are foods people eat daily that contribute to disease formation. Obesity and type 2 diabetes along with heart disease is killing thousands of people every year and it's not from eating impossible burgers.I believe PETA have come out against impossible burger due to animal testing. Does the vision impossible burger has justify the means? Did they need to go so far to create a burger that was so close to meat? If it's aimed at meat eaters who are not concerned about ethics which it appears to be then maybe from the companies viewpoint it doesn't matter?

Tbh impossible burgers and similar rubbish haven't been around long enough to show possible health effects. Bit like the production and promotion of highly processed plant based margarine and spreads which are were originally promoted as healthy and are now known to anything but. But hey lets promote highly processed foods which are anything but whole foods - cos their 'vegan' yeah .... :rolleyes:

Type2 diabetes and obesity ain't from eating a balanced diet including meat either. We can look to the rise of highly processed junk foods for that. And what is the impossible burger? Oh wait!

People who like who like good quality and ethically produced foods (and yes that includes meat) ain't going to be eating that ****e one way or the other..

It's probably going to be in about 15,000 burger locations as well as been sold in supermarkets in the next couple of months If the burger king trial goes well and that's just the states.
    Someone is eating them and it's not just vegetarians. Diet coke sells more now than classic coke and that's ****e so I wouldn't understimate the general public and say they won't buy it as it's not beef.

It's probably going to be in about 15,000 burger locations as well as been sold in supermarkets in the next couple of months If the burger king trial goes well and that's just the states.
    Someone is eating them and it's not just vegetarians. Diet coke sells more now than classic coke and that's ****e so I wouldn't understimate the general public and say they won't buy it as it's not beef.

It's still junk food though .... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Since when do the general public have an issue with eating beef? I especially don't see those who seek BK burgers on a regular occasion having a need for a beef alternative.

I especially don't see those who seek BK burgers on a regular occasion having a need for a beef alternative.

If it tastes/looks the same it's quite possible people will pick the burger with less precieved impact on animal health and the environment. I don't get the idea that people won't eat it as it's not beef. It's all going to come down to price and marketing, if bk can source and store them cheaper than beef well then it's going to be smack bang at the top of their menu.

But its just rubbish food..
    Your diet coke analogy is perfect..

Regular coke is a terrible product, it and its like have contributed shockingly towards the decline in general health between obesity and all the associated problems in drinking highly processed drinks with sugars and what not added..
    Diet coke is essentially a marketing strategy to allow them continue sell a rubbish product but with a tweak that lets weak minded people think its a healthy product.. But its not, its still rubbish, I look at all the obese people walking about drinking diet coke believing its their hormones working against them..

Similarly the impossible burger is a replica of a poor food, its still a poor food, there is no advantage in it at all, people shouldn't be eating this junk, same as people shouldn't be eating products made from ground beef, its a sub prime product.. Its a marketing ploy to gain market share dressed up as some savior of the planet and animals, its a joke.

This thread will run a long time because they are working on impersonating cuts of meat too, I guarantee there is a company working on producing vegetable alternatives somewhere to cut out the need to farm them..

Can people not understand that as we add more and more hyper processed foods to our diet we are both damaging our health and handing over food supply to multinational conglomerates.. The impossible burger is backed by Bill Gates, his strategy was always simple, destroy all competitors, dominate the market, charge whatever you want for your product as you've eliminated all alternatives.. This is the type of person people are now heralding as a champion of our food supply, to paraphrase the DUP - NO, NO, NO !

Again..
    Humans need to be eating foods as close as possible to their natural state. Not taking fruits, vegetables and meat and running them through manufacturing process after process adding dangerous ingredients at every step.. Taking a burger with 4-5 ingredients including meat, replacing it with a non meat substitute with 20+ ingredients is not progress, its a step backwards. Worse when they release their steak alternative they will be saying to replace a holesome food with 1 ingredient and replace it with a factory produced product with 20+ ingredients, how are people falling for this madness and corruption of our food supply.

If it tastes/looks the same it's quite possible people will pick the burger with less precieved impact on animal health and the environment. I don't get the idea that people won't eat it as it's not beef. It's all going to come down to price and marketing, if bk can source and store them cheaper than beef well then it's going to be smack bang at the top of their menu.

Ah the video said these are real people, now I'm convinced. Do they show the people who called them out and said the Beef was the better burger?

Will they be allowed market them in Europe as a healthy alternative when they contain more saturated fat then beef?

gozunda wrote: »
    Tbh impossible burgers and similar rubbish haven't been around long enough to show possible health effects. Bit like the production and promotion of highly processed plant based margarine and spreads which are were originally promoted as healthy and are now known to anything but. But hey lets promote highly processed foods which are anything but whole foods - cos their 'vegan' yeah .... :rolleyes:

Type2 diabetes and obesity ain't from eating a balanced diet including meat either. We can look to the rise of highly processed junk foods for that. And what is the impossible burger? Oh wait!

People who like who like good quality and ethically produced foods (and yes that includes meat) ain't going to be eating that ****e one way or the other..

To create products that taste good and taste similar to their non-plant based alternatives, you need to use the same type of ingredients. You aren't going to make a fatty beef patty like product without fat.

The benefit of plant based "junk food" is there is no dietary cholesterol which is significant to those who are genetically predisposed to have higher cholesterol in their blood. Also it contains fibre which the majority of people don't eat enough of. Not suggesting for a moment someone get their fibre this way, just pointing out there are some benefits of this junk food over "traditional" junk food.

There is no ethical way to produce meat. There are different degrees of suffering that an animal can go through sure, but at the end it's all the same. And even if you get the best and most "ethical" meat its not sustainable to meet global demand which is why factory farming exists.

I won’t be avoiding it because it’s not beef. I rarely eat a burger anyway because their muck.

I wouldn’t touch any of their products or similar products because of what they represent. It’s a step towards non farmed foods and that is a bad move.

The more society distances itself from food production tue poorer the relationship with food has become and the more negative health effects from that lack of understanding about production of good simple food.

We have already seen this with obeasity and cancer rates soaring, every step further damages our health.

• Advertisement

Yea the steak is on the way. That I'm very sceptical on, I get the burger but not swapping out the steak. Not sure who'd buy it.
    I'm a big fan of steak have my meatopia tickets booked again for this year, I won't be accepting any substitute.

Advertisement