Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to Stockpile ahead of Brexit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,402 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I thought I started a similar thread :pac:

I stockpiled before end March, on stuff that comes from UK and is cheap, particularly from Tesco - loo roll, tins, pre-baked bread, long-life milk..

It is clear there'll be some disruption in supplies and is not clear if prices will rise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

My wife has finally said she is going to stockpile a few things like flour and sugar. Thats on top of my stockpile that would last at least a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Must stockpile royal family memorabilia.

Amazon.co.uk charges Irish vat on good sold to an Irish address , post brexit will they charge uk VAT and then we'll pay import duty here? Or how will it work does anyone know?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Car99 wrote: »
    Must stockpile royal family memorabilia.

Amazon.co.uk charges Irish vat on good sold to an Irish address , post brexit will they charge uk VAT and then we'll pay import duty here? Or how will it work does anyone know?

Amazon will likely direct people to .fr or .de with an English language interface instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

L1011 wrote: »
    Amazon will likely direct people to .fr or .de with an English language interface instead

Address pal will set up an address out there then to accommodate I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I stockpiled a bit in the spring and have since eaten nearly my entire stockpile. I am planning to put away stuff again. A Twinnings tea I particularly like, worcester sauce (I don't like the German version from Aldi), a few bags of flour as apparently we don't process that ourselves. It's my kid's birthday less than 2 weeks after Brexit so I'm not chancing having no birthday cake for him. I don't know if we'll have any problems with oats but I'll buy a few extra bags of porridge just in case. Lots of dried, frozen and tinned fruit and tomatoes as there will almost certainly be delays of some sort in shipping and supply of perishable goods will be hardest hit. An extra item of each detergent/toilet paper as I buy them, just to be on the safe side. And a lot of coffee. Once Brexit was delayed last time and I started into my build up of coffee I was shocked by how quickly I ran through it, so I'll make sure to have plenty on hand. A few extra boxes of painkillers, antihistamines, etc. I know we produce these ourselves but sometimes the testing and quality control is done abroad and I'd rather just have a drawer full of extras rather than risk having a monster headache and no paracetamol.

There is no downside to fore-planning. I buy it in bits and pieces now while we have absolutely no delays. I've plenty of storage, so they are put away and ignored until they are needed or I know for a fact that they are not needed. Then I just break into them and work my way through them. I buy nothing I wouldn't eat anyway. And I obviously have really retro tastes because I was so happy when Brexit was delayed for 6 months and I could crack open the tinned peaches. I'd normally never buy tinned fruit but it's so yummy. So come November I'll either be relying on my supply and relieved I have it every time my 6 year old asks for some fruit. Or gorging on tinned fruit breakfasts, desserts and smoothies right through 'til after Christmas. Either way I save myself uncertainty in the first few days and save a little money if we see a rise in prices.

Overall it's not an emergency here. We will have plenty of food as we are a major food producing country. So we don't need to worry about empty shelves or going hungry. Just the loss of some luxury goods for a bit while our supply chain adapts. I just fancy being as unaffected by those hiccups as possible. If I was in the UK, I'd be extremely nervous. The risks of food shortages are much more real there and their government is an absolute shambles in terms of planning for the possible negative outcomes. I'm on some forums there and reading about lots of posters prepping plans and so, so glad I'm not still living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭Tow

Nescafe Gold Blend is made in England

Gold_Blend_Front_Big_16967.png

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They will have alternate facilities and the coffee itself is clearly not grown there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Be careful now I opened a thread to ask this exact question and the mods very quickly closed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

iguana wrote: »
    Overall it's not an emergency here. We will have plenty of food as we are a major food producing country. So we don't need to worry about empty shelves or going hungry. Just the loss of some luxury goods for a bit while our supply chain adapts. I just fancy being as unaffected by those hiccups as possible. If I was in the UK, I'd be extremely nervous. The risks of food shortages are much more real there and their government is an absolute shambles in terms of planning for the possible negative outcomes. I'm on some forums there and reading about lots of posters prepping plans and so, so glad I'm not still living there.

I doubt there'll be major shortages but I'd expect that some of the brand names that Irish people are fond of, may become harder to find at least in the initial period. And costs of same more than likely to rise.

A lot depends on supply chains but historically we've imported through British distributors. So if they catch a cold, then we do too. Maybe there'll be a big switch to more European brands.

On the plus side, if sterling falls in value that should make imports from UK cheaper.. in theory. More likely the retailers will absorb same against increased costs.

The whole import duty aspect may hit consumers harder. I'd guess the savvy shoppers will be doing their online Christmas shopping earlier this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

I already stockpile the half price offers from Lidl weekend offers. At the moment, the bunker is full of washing powder, coffee, tinfoil and sandwich bags.

Tinfoil is for the hats?

Sorry could not resist.

Tow wrote: »
    Nescafe Gold Blend is made in England

Gold_Blend_Front_Big_16967.png

They can keep it. At least they don't grow any coffee beans over there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

L1011 wrote: »

We shouldn’t buy anything from amazon until they put out all them fires....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

liam7831 wrote: »
    I have bought a second chest freezer and rammed it with sliced pans, heard on radio that most of our flour comes from UK so gonna be a serious bread shortage, we all remember the last time

Not most, I'm in the industry and all flour is a UK import with very low storage facilities in Ireland so silos will run dry in few days. Virtually all other bread ingredients are from the mainland UK too, just one or two from NI and ZERO bread ingredients from ROI, ZERO

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

slave1 wrote: »
    Not most, I'm in the industry and all flour is a UK import with very low storage facilities in Ireland so silos will run dry in few days. Virtually all other bread ingredients are from the mainland UK too, just one or two from NI and ZERO bread ingredients from ROI, ZERO
    So it's back to making bread!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

is_that_so wrote: »

With no ingredients? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

is_that_so wrote: »

We make bread three times a week anyway here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,996 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No.

No need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

dudara wrote: »
    This really isn't a Consumer Issue, but I'm at a bit of a loss where to put it.

Humour forum?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=22

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've got a mini stockplile (4 jars) of Marmite, can't be running out of that now, can I?

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    I've got a mini stockplile (4 jars) of Marmite, can't be running out of that now, can I?

I normally stock up on it when I'm in the UK you can often find it on offer for £2.00 but its bl00dy €3.95 in Dunnes and €3.25 in Tesco.

I don't know if I could make it through a Marmageddon here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

slave1 wrote: »

The wheat we grow here does not have enough of a protein percentage in order to make flour suitable for commercial baking. Nothing to do with the wheat variety just the growing conditions are generally unsuitable

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

miamee wrote: »
    With no ingredients? :D

You can make really nice bread with oat flour. Proper traditional stuff and not that white mushy yeast stuff ;)

What may disappear for a short period or go up in price are things like specific brands of shampoo, toilet paper and soaps. Alot of what we import comes from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

There are still a few mills here, Shackletons and Oldlams and there is one in Bennetsbridge in Kilkenny. While there are not many I don't know how it can be stated that there are NONE. What the last poster said is true, we can grow wheat but the conditions are not the best, and in fact those conditions are only slightly better in the UK. The conditions are vastly better on the continent and I suspect buyers in Ireland will quickly switch to importing flour from the continent.
    After all it is the UK who are locking themselves out of that market not us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

We made bread here during the "emergency" (ww2) . Apparently not very nice but edible.
    While flour might come here from the UK, I imagine the original source is either US or Eastern Europe.

And that highlights the main issue. Many Irish distributers piggy back on their UK colleagues rather than go directly to source. They will not need to source directly or team up with other Eu distributers. This should be more efficient and cost effective in the long term.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Say it came to it. Would the government be able to implement price freezes to restrict gouging by unscrupulous shops? Obviously they’d be allowed raise prices on stuff coming from and made in the uk but surely not stuff coming from Europe?
    You’d definitely get shops chancing their arm.
    But could it be stopped before it happens ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

gozunda wrote: »
    The wheat we grow here does not have enough of a protein percentage in order to make flour suitable for commercial baking. Nothing to do with the wheat variety just the growing conditions are generally unsuitable

As a matter of interest, do you know what the wheat we produce here would be used for, if not in bread?

(I wouldn't imagine we'd have a big pasta manufacturing industry or anything)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Building up my stock of Islay malts as I write this. I can cope with food, meds or clothes shortages, but a whisky famine would wipe me out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Start stockpiling on stuff you like from Britain

https://twitter.com/jp_biz/status/1169195113479835648?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The living will envy the dead

Advertisement