Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to Stockpile ahead of Brexit?

Options
  • 21-02-2019 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Anyone going to Stockpile non perishable items ahead of a no deal brexit? I'm talking about the likes of cereal, tinned food, your favorite Old del Paso pack, washing powder etc. They will all go up in price. May as well buy them now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Absolutely no intentions of doing so. More bother than it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This really isn't a Consumer Issue, but I'm at a bit of a loss where to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭BONDIred

Is there any reason to stockpile some baby formula or this made in Ireland?

Ireland is a major producer of baby formula (10% of global supply).

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mullinr2

dudara wrote: »

I didn't know where to put it either. Is there not just general area where you can put posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

After Hours...

Can u move it to after hours please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sounds like it belongs in conspiracy theory forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

mullinr2 wrote: »

After Hours Mods have closed, or moved, all threads relating to Brexit, with a warning to start no new ones, as the Politics Forum has several already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Anyone going to Stockpile non perishable items ahead of a no deal brexit? I'm talking about the likes of cereal, tinned food, your favorite Old del Paso pack, washing powder etc. They will all go up in price. May as well buy them now

Stockpiling Old del Paso brought a smile to my puss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Survivalism and Self Sufficiency already has a thread quite similar to this but I'm not sure that's the best place to move it either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I already stockpile the half price offers from Lidl weekend offers. At the moment, the bunker is full of washing powder, coffee, tinfoil and sandwich bags.

I’m happy to leave it here for now, as I don’t think it will have a shelf-life in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Survival and Self Sufficiency?

ybird-the-ladybird-book-of-leaders-men-post-brexit-britain-35103528.png

Actually this one is more relevant :D

bb1.jpg?w=700&h=

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

We just said it wasn't going to AH!

If you do this, only buy stuff you will use anyway and keep using oldest first. Having some stock to hand is not a bad idea with recent weather events anyway.
    Remember that frozen stuff isn't any use in a power cut and be aware of your cooking options

And realistically supply chains will adapt quite quickly to getting stuff from the continent instead so you are looking at two weeks max of severe disruption if any

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

AH already had a thread along these lines.

OXO cubes. That's what I'll be stockpiling. It'll make the roadkill palatable.

The one reason its probably worth having a good food store is that there will only need to be a hint of a shortage for panic buying to set in and there to be a real shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

L1011 wrote: »
    We just said it wasn't going to AH!

If you do this, only buy stuff you will use anyway and keep using oldest first. Having some stock to hand is not a bad idea with recent weather events anyway.
    Remember that frozen stuff isn't any use in a power cut and be aware of your cooking options

And realistically supply chains will adapt quite quickly to getting stuff from the continent instead so you are looking at two weeks max of severe disruption if any

Most shops only have 3 days of stock so 2 weeks will be a major issue, if it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I still have my stockpile of stuff that I got for the Y2K meltdown so I'm all set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

Whatever happens, it will be another excuse to drive up prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

I have bought a second chest freezer and rammed it with sliced pans, heard on radio that most of our flour comes from UK so gonna be a serious bread shortage, we all remember the last time

Del2005 wrote: »
    Most shops only have 3 days of stock so 2 weeks will be a major issue, if it happens.

It's only going to be certain items that are problematic - much is either domestic or imported from elsewhere already, including perishable stuff by air rather than landbridge. The UK is going to have far worse issues, producing far less food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

I still have the bread that I got for The Big Snow in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Magnatu wrote: »
    I still have the bread that I got for The Big Snow in the freezer.

Ew

I must stockpile these Ladybird bewks before they're increased in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The one big thing people should be doing anyway is learn to move away from processed foods.

Learn to buy prepare and cook dishes using the basic raw ingredients, many of which can be Irish sourced and should resist major fluxes in price.

Even imported raw ingredients like pasata could double in price and still be really good value.

Learn people, be educated consumers rather than soulless drones eating processed manufactured foods.

Find good suppliers for fresh fruit, veg and meat and you will never be broke or hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Certain retailers will be in more trouble than others. Tesco and M&S for example who rely on their UK distribution centres. LIDL and ALDI will adjust their supply lines before hand (if they haven't already) to avoid going through the UK, likewise Musgraves.

Certain very specific items will be missing from shelves, but for the most part there shouldn't be major disruptions. Lots of households will have to learn to enjoy the old staples again, home grown meat & veg.

Should note that early April is not a good time of year for home grown fruit and veg, last year's supplies used up and new stuff not ready yet

However we've plenty of planes going to Spain/Portugal every day with airlines that carry belly cargo

• Advertisement

Posted this 7 months ago. What are people's opinion now? No deal brexit is a certain.

Advertisement