Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭nerd69

Im glad nuciforas gone anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Crowley is tough out, same goes with his mentality too. Think we have a real gem on our hands to be honest, for such a young outhalf it's really impressive what he's done so far in red and green

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Lions beating Glasgow keeps us in 1st for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭letowski

Perfect weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Top of the league.

Can we revisit those stories of disquiet in the camp now?

Im biased but open to some persuasion here but the signing of Billy Burns by us makes zero sense to me.

He was piss tonight against decent opposition, not brilliant opposition not even leinsters best team and he was at sea.
    His mistakes single handedly kept leinster in the game, hes very predictable, he kicks almost everything (and not even well) and avoids carrying into contact all the time, he shirks playing first receiver a lot also.

He was blocked down for a try by a forward after getting a perfect pass from his SH and being deep enough with plenty of time. Later At a time Ulster were getting back into the game he kicked out on the full and gave that momentum straight back.

It wasnt until he went off that ulster got back into it.

Please someone tell me what the Munster mgt see in this player because im truly baffled.

When you can't sign an NIQ then he's the best of the rest, I'd also hope Mossy & Mike will improve him

I would wager that Rory scannell is a better option at 10, that young lad from Clare would benefit more from the game time and his signing is gonna fall into the category of doing just enough to justify his existence while stopping anybody else from improving.

So Crowley plays the big games, but this bluffer who cant kick from hand and wont kick placed ball is going to play as well and be our backup for big games.

Its an obvious mistake and i cant understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

I'll trust the judgement of player ability of the Munster coaches over an armchair critic who's probably never set foot on a rugby pitch. What about all the Leinster players like Conan etc who under performed tonight? They bad players aswell?

• Advertisement

I think you're being harsh on him, Cooney kicks for Ulster but we don't use our scrum half to kick at goal so he'll get more opportunity.

If Wig & Co have shown anything it's they'll play whoever is good enough, Butler will get his chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Burns is fine to get in as a back up, possibly going to be 3rd choice not second if Butler gets more gametime. You can't be going into next season with just Crowley, Butler and another academy player as your only options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Tony Butler will push on again next season, he's a very good prospect and I'd have him over BB any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭mun1

Great to be top of the league and hopefully same this time next week.

But When was the last time the team who finished top of the league won the URC/celtic league ?

just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭leakyboots

We have brilliant coaches, particularly Prendergast, I'd back Burns to be a worthwhile signing once he settles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Last two years of Leinsters 4 in a row where from the top, but so far it's not happened in the URC.

Conan is a player who has lit it up at the lions level.

Burns is a player who misses kicks to the corner. Regularly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

We'll definitely be top next week as there's no URC for a fortnight 😜

Being top guarantees you nothing just home advantage as you progress, Munster know from last season that the visitors can win, we did last year (as underdogs) it in Glasgow, Dublin and SA.

In saying that, it's huge for Munster to have a home knockout game/s.

I'm missing the QF but I'm absolutely delighted that we have a home QF and I hope a home SF and Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Munster won the absolutely hardest way possible last season. It was an incredible achievement. If we don't get hammered with injuries in the next 5 weeks, we're gonna be extremely difficult for any team to beat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Criticisms of being an average side, and not knowing what Rowntree was trying to do too, seem to have quietened down.

To be fair, I expected things to improve once we started to get some players back (particularly in the pack) but they’ve gone even better than I expected. 39 points out of 40 is an unbelievable return.

Anyone that watched Access Munster would see with their own eyes that it was never an unhappy camp.

As for Birch saying Munster were a mess, sometimes, analysts should just stay silent and give their brain time to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think you are majorly underselling how good burns is.

You are getting a good not great 10, whose strengths really suit what Munster do, who also is extremely durable and will probably be making a good bit less money than carbery was. That's pretty ideal. I definitely would prefer to keep him.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

As things stand with Munster top and Leinster 3rd would that mean both teams could only meet each other in the final?

who have ulster left to play 10 next year?

What did you think of his performance against Leinster?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Which one? He was very good against them earlier in the season.

My own take? We’ve a new back-up 10 who imo isn’t appreciably worse than Carbery but is likely on an appreciably smaller wage.

Given all that, I’m pretty ok with the signing.

I thought he played a lot better than Byrne but that's faint praise.

Looks like Flannery and maybe Doak. We are after a young IQ 10 from NZ as well apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yeah I didn't actually think Burns played particularly badly yesterday. Cooney's kicking (place and box) was certainly the winning of the game for Ulster, but I wouldn't infer from that that Burns was terrible.

I agree with the points above that he'll fit in well in the Munster system and will probably up his game under our coaches. And that's all you really want from a guy who is battling for the backup slot with a 22-year-old.

I wonder too if Dylan Hicks might start getting senior gametime next season. He'll be what, 20 or 21 by this time next year?

• Advertisement

He will be u20 eligible.

I think Burns really fits the Munster attack system and with ahern on the wing, he is a really a good kick passer.

I wish we could keep him and i expect he is going to England, but Munster could do a lot worse than addison as a semi frisch replacement. He can play a ton of positions and is just an excellent player. Injuries are a big risk but if he was fit for big games he would be a massive asset.

Edit; i thought cooney's box kicking was amazing yesterday too. We won a ton of box kicking exhanges. Lowry also had some great chases.

Advertisement