Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

My guess for Saturday:

Kilcoyne, Scannell, Ryan, Beirne, Kleyn, POM, Cloete, Stander,
    Murray, Hanrahan, Earls, Goggin, Farrell, Conway, Haley

Marshall, Cronin, Archer, Holland, TOD, Mathewson, Bleyendaal, Scannell

Injured: Parker, Carbery, Wootton, Sweetnam

aloooof wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it unusual that they'd even mention this, until they deals are complete?

I imagine it's a done deal in principle, just not signed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

aloooof wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it unusual that they'd even mention this, until they deals are complete?

I guess when it's so heavily broadcast in the media they may as well just say straight where things are at rather than have speculation dominate the story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

My guess for Saturday:

Kilcoyne, Scannell, Ryan, Beirne, Kleyn, POM, Cloete, Stander,
    Murray, Hanrahan, Earls, Goggin, Farrell, Conway, Haley

Marshall, Cronin, Archer, Holland, TOD, Mathewson, Bleyendaal, Scannell

Injured: Parker, Carbery, Wootton, Sweetnam

I don't see us going that heavy with the internationals. I don't see POM, Stander, Earls and Murray starting and wouldn't be surprised to see them get another week off. They played the most minutes in Japan (Stander played 380 out of 400 mins IIRC).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭leakyboots

• Advertisement

I don't see us going that heavy with the internationals. I don't see POM, Stander, Earls and Murray starting and wouldn't be surprised to see them get another week off. They played the most minutes in Japan (Stander played 380 out of 400 mins IIRC).

Maybe POM replaces Stander or vice versa during the game. Earls to start as we're down Wootton and Sweetnam. Murray needs minutes with JJ.

Ospreys are terrible but it wouldn't be ideal to have too many season debutants for that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

leakyboots wrote: »

Some great offloads in there, very exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Whitters22 wrote: »
    It's likely with the news that Sammy Arnold will be relocated, possibly back up to Ulster?

Arnold left Ulster because he had always wanted to play for Munster. Ulster had given him his chance and first team games. He basically gave them the finger. I doubt if he will be back at Ravenhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

jacothelad wrote: »
    Arnold left Ulster because he had always wanted to play for Munster. Ulster had given him his chance and first team games. He basically gave them the finger. I doubt if he will be back at Ravenhill.

Is that true though Jaco? I know his da was from Cork and he mentioned being happy to make the move, but he was fairly low in the pecking order for Ulster in terms of centres, at the time Payne/Cave/McCloskey/Olding/Marshall were all ahead of him, he'd only made 14 appearances over two seasons and that was mainly down to injuries and a RWC year.

Personally I wouldn't begrudge a young player taking an opportunity to move where they'll have a shot at getting game time compared to competing with a backlog of established talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Will Arno Botha be leaving next season?

• Advertisement

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Will Arno Botha be leaving next season?

I'd be surprised if he stayed. He's a backup player and there's plenty young talent to take his spot. I doubt the IRFU would allow an extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Maybe POM replaces Stander or vice versa during the game. Earls to start as we're down Wootton and Sweetnam. Murray needs minutes with JJ.

Ospreys are terrible but it wouldn't be ideal to have too many season debutants for that game.

Murray needs minutes with JJ?
    Keep playing Alby for as long as possible

Just very worried for Murray. Minutes aren’t making him improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/11/05/player-update-6/

De Allende and Snyman Coverage
    In reference to reports about the province signing the World Cup-winning Springbok duo of Damian de Allende and RG Snyman, Munster Head Coach Johann van Graan said: “We are in advanced discussions with both players, but there are no contracts signed at this stage.

“We are confident there will be a commitment in the future, subject to conditions, but at this stage no contracts have been signed and we have nothing official to confirm.”

this is worrying.... now that the French know that these 2 are available, I'm sure the checkbooks will be out...
    some Agent shenanigans will end up screwing with us...

I'd be surprised if he stayed. He's a backup player and there's plenty young talent to take his spot. I doubt the IRFU would allow an extension.

Could that see beirne move to 6, with the two big South African units in the second row?

4. Snyman
    5. Kleyn
    6 beirne
    7 Pom
    8 stander

That’s a pretty powerful looking pack

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Could that see beirne move to 6, with the two big South African units in the second row?

4. Snyman
    5. Kleyn
    6 beirne
    7 Pom
    8 stander

That’s a pretty powerful looking pack

I doubt it, Snyman is a TH lock like Kleyn, and with Beirne being a lineout option he'd likely stay at 4, with POM at 6, Cloete/JOD at 7 and Stander at 8.

Not to say if there was an injury that we couldn't see that pack at some stage, but it'd be unlikely to see a second row that big at provincial/club level unless you're trying to emulate the Saffers completely.

this is worrying.... now that the French know that these 2 are available, I'm sure the checkbooks will be out...

The French (and everyone else looking for players) would have been well aware that these players were available long before Munster starting talking to them. Agent shenanigans are the reason we are talking to them in the first place.

I doubt it, Snyman is a TH lock like Kleyn, and with Beirne being a lineout option he'd likely stay at 4, with POM at 6, Cloete/JOD at 7 and Stander at 8.

Not to say if there was an injury that we couldn't see that pack at some stage, but it'd be unlikely to see a second row that big at provincial/club level unless you're trying to emulate the Saffers completely.

Something like :

4synman
    5 Kleyn
    6 Botha
    7 cloete
    8 stander

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The French (and everyone else looking for players) would have been well aware that these players were available long before Munster starting talking to them. Agent shenanigans are the reason we are talking to them in the first place.

I am told the De Allande deal was done some time ago.

If any of this turns out to be a choreographed agents beauty parade I'll be most unhappy.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/11/05/player-update-6/

De Allende and Snyman Coverage
    In reference to reports about the province signing the World Cup-winning Springbok duo of Damian de Allende and RG Snyman, Munster Head Coach Johann van Graan said: “We are in advanced discussions with both players, but there are no contracts signed at this stage.

“We are confident there will be a commitment in the future, subject to conditions, but at this stage no contracts have been signed and we have nothing official to confirm.”

Clubs don't need the media to tell them who is available. They can just contact the agent for that information.

Carbery to miss the first few round in Europe. Some of the internationals back this week, but some will be held back until next week.

https://www.offtheball.com/sport/joey-carbery-will-miss-first-rounds-european-champions-cup-922027
    Speaking at the launch of this season's European Champions Cup, van Grann said, "look, we'll just take it week by week with Joey. He's not going to be ready for the first few weeks. Most of the guys have come back in pretty good nick.

"Great to see everybody. Some of them will be involved this weekend, and some in only come back next week. Joey specifically will be out for a few weeks.

"It's a very difficult one. He struggled with that ankle. Our medical team is working tirelessly with him. Very difficult to speculate, he's had it for a while. As I said, we will take it week by week. Don't imagine he will be ready for the first few rounds of Europe and hopefully it goes well with his rehab we can have him back quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I am told the De Allande deal was done some time ago.

If any of this turns out to be a choreographed agents beauty parade I'll be most unhappy.

Highly unlikely they would mess Munster around bearing in mind the SA connections between Rassie, Jacques and Johann VanG.

These pair will also be looking for a sympathetic club that will allow them continue to play for South Africa*, particularly with the Lions Tour coming up. They are going to be missing a lot of the season with international duties etc., which will suit all those young guys getting more gametime.

*which would obviously make them less attractive to French/English clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Joey should never have gone to Japan. The whole thing was just mad. He had an operation to speed up his recovery (and i know that he would have done everything to go play in the RWC) but now that he is back and not fit to start is proof. He would have been getting intensive treatment out there, he played for a short while, but surely he should have returned fit...... if he was fit to go in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Something like :
    3 Knox
    4 Synman
    5 Kleyn
    6 Botha
    7 Cloete
    8 Stander

Knox too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

jm08 wrote: »
    Highly unlikely they would mess Munster around bearing in mind the SA connections between Rassie, Jacques and Johann VanG.

These pair will also be looking for a sympathetic club that will allow them continue to play for South Africa*, particularly with the Lions Tour coming up. They are going to be missing a lot of the season with international duties etc., which will suit all those young guys getting more gametime.

*which would obviously make them less attractive to French/English clubs.

Releasing players for international duties isn't a choice for clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Bazzo wrote: »
    Releasing players for international duties isn't a choice for clubs.

Tell that to French clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

nerd69 wrote: »
    Tell that to French clubs

And the English

Our good old friends Saracens has one of Aus best second row sitting around London during a WC

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    And the English

Our good old friends Saracens has one of Aus best second row sitting around London during a WC

That was Skelton choice to continue to play his rugby in England

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Would Gavin Coombes be primarily a number 8 or blindside flanker? The few times I’ve seen him ( pretty sure at 6) he’s looked very impressive, seemed to have a real combative edge to him. I don’t know if he’ll get many chances to prove himself, in what is an extremely competitive position for Munster. I think he’s only got 25 minutes against the Cheetahs so far this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    That was Skelton choice to continue to play his rugby in England

Yeah, most of the players in France said the same....

The simple fact is they are paid more not to travel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Yeah, most of the players in France said the same....

The simple fact is they are paid more not to travel

Overseas players needs a Minimum 60 Test caps for Australia to qualify to play for National team

Advertisement