Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Getting excited for Sunday now; it's a pity it's not a Saturday evening KO, but the last time we had Toulouse at home and a crowd, it was a Sunday too iirc, and things didn't go too badly that day.

Some interesting selection calls. Casey has to start at 9, for me which I think would be his first start in Europe. Through various circumstances, we could easily have 5 different backs than the 7 that took the field vs them in the Aviva in May.

Would love to see Diarmuid Barron start (but suspect that's less likely). And Edogbo could easily make the bench too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It took me 3 weeks to sort tickets for the Racing v Leinster game. Wouldn’t accept payment. Tried 4 different cards and it took 3 weeks for them to reply to emails. Must be a French thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭phog

With the size of the Toulouse team I think we could see Murray starting, Earls probably get's a bench spot which would mean the normal 5-3 split but then that means Haley is either fit to start or not feature at all. A 6-2 split would probably mean no Earls and Crowley benching to cover outhalf, centre or FB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Shehal

I doubt the size of our 9 will make much of a difference if size ends up being a factor.

Murray is a pretty solid defender, but (and I refer back to this a lot) when Ireland were struggling against England in the six nations last season - his introduction seemed fairly pivotal in us wrestling back control of the game and using territory and the man advantage to much greater effect.

He had a so so game against South Africa (decision making on point but execution off at times), but we boxed smart that first half and they got little return from relentless pressure - it's the sort of scenario where Murray is often at his best.

• Advertisement

Hadn't been keeping up to date on the injury news, but that'd be good news with Earls back. (Really excited to see him in the new systems tbh, could see a lot more involvement).

I still definitely think we can get the job done with Murray (he's shown up so often for us with huge defensive moments, and brings a level of control) but I'm hopeful it'll be Casey, and think he suits the style better. Murray coming on for the last half hour if we had a lead would be ideal then.

I was thinking Casey coming when they're tiring and he running them around the field but maybe that's the way they'll look at it too, try and establish a lead then Murray comes on to see it out.

We'll know in about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Have a ticket spare for Sunday if anyone is interested? East stand section 202. PM me for details.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The team is in. Not many changes from last week.

Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly; Joey Carbery, Craig Casey; Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Josh Wycherley, Roman Salanoa, Jack O’Donoghue, Alex Kendellen, Paddy Patterson, Jack Crowley, Keith Earls.

A little bad new in that Edogbo is out for 6-7 weeks with an ankle injury.

Murray must not have made it back from injury with Patterson on the bench. Great to see Casey get his first start in Europe tho, huge game for him now.

Other than maybe Barron for Scannell, I think that's exactly the 15 I'd have picked. Crowley getting the nod ahead of Healy as expected as well.

Good the see Earls back, but the lack of 2nd row bench cover could be a problem later on. Fingers crossed for no injuries to Beirne or Kleyn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 fitzgea1

I'm sure Murray isn't 100% fit but still seems a big call to not have him in the 22. May be a sign that Munster are gonna play more of a running game and get the big Toulouse pack moved around.

The whole Fekitoa thing is a bit annoying, you'd hope he'd be up to speed by now when we need him.

Exciting team though, really taking shape now. A big result on Sunday could really kick start the season.

The Fekitoa decision looks to potentially be a stylistic choice. It's Frisch he's competing with for minutes (who has been playing great) as Prendergast's attack shape seems to prefer what Scannell brings at 12.

If he’s injured, how can it be a big call to not have him in the 23?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is Whycherly the senior injured? Lack of second row cover against a big French pack might be a problem. Real pity Edogbo is injured.

Yep, has been for awhile.

As far as I’m aware, Eoin O’Connor is fit but they seem to prefer this option than picking him on the bench.

Ya I guess, hopefully long term they see Fekitoa as a 12 and he needs more time to get up to speed. Agree that Frisch has to play at the moment.

Not being 100% and being injured are 2 different things. Reports this week said he was back fully training and available for selection.

About as good as we could name considering the injuries, I'm not sure Edogbo would have featured but real shame he's out for a short term as he'd surely have featured over Christmas period.

Do we know for sure he’s not injured tho, rather than just not 100%?

It’s a really surprising call, if he’s fit.

No, officially he was "back in full training". I think a lot of the media took that to mean he was available for selection. Probably it'll be clarified later. Strange they didn't have something about it in the press release for the team announcement.

• Advertisement

Earls is similar; has been back in training awhile but only becoming available for selection now I believe. I expect this could be similar.

Keith wood commented on this during the week, that he had been talking to Earls, and they seem to be a bit more cautious with players returning from injury now.

They’ll definitely be asked about it anyways so we’ll find out for sure soon enough.

It’d be a huge call if it’s purely on selection.

The press release at the start of the week said he returns to training this week after an injury he received on his 100th cap for Ireland. It never said he was 100% fit. Lots of players return to training for a week or so before they feature in a match squad but I do take your point a lot of people, myself included took the press release to mean or we hoped it to mean that Murray would be available for selection.

Looking at TM and in the stand in particular by seats it looks like only about 1,500 tickets in four corners are available.

Comparing the team from the match in the Avivia to Sunday's team - No Zebo, DDA or C Farrell.

Only 5 starters from the Avivia are starting on Sunday - Haley, Carbery, R Scannell, POM & Kleyn

4 starters are on the bench - Earls, JOD, Josh W & Kendellen

3 from the subs bench will start on Sunday - Casey, John Ryan and Loughman.

Toulouse team (15-9, 1-8):

Thomas Ramos, Ange Capuozzo, Dimitri Delibes, Pita Ahki, Matthis Lebel, Romain Ntamack, Antoine Dupont, Rodrigue Neti, Julien Marchand, Dorian Aldegheri, Richie Arnold, Emmanuel Meafou, Anthony Jelonch, Alban Placines, Alexandre Roumat.

Reps: Peato Mauvaka, Cyril Baille, Charlie Faumuina, Thibaud Flament, Yannick Youyoutte, Jack Willis, Martin Page-Relo, Lucas Tauzin.

Hevyweight pack, and some outrageous quality in the tight 5 subs.

If this effing fog doesn't lift then we might have no match or have a match but only the players will see what's happening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

The direct Ryanair Toulouse to Dub flight this morning was cancelled. Convoluted ways back now. Might impact quite a few fans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Wrong Thread

Post edited by Brief_Lives on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

Is there a possibility that the pitch inspection might go badly or is there no chance of that happening? Just afraid of making the trip to the stadium for it to be called off!

Advertisement