Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i hope hes a 15 cause unfortunately he hasnt shown much recently to suggest hes a 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

it's probably been mentioned, but Carberry at 15 is brilliant...

Healy and Crowley at 10, is where we should be... and maybe put a kgs in weight on all of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Champions Cup fixtures out there: https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/matches/ 3 Sunday afternoon kick offs. Home and away Toulouse matches have same 3.15 Sunday kick offs so looks like home ko time was picked to suit French tv broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Dont mind the last game being a Sunday, with this stupid format of a competition, its an advantage, you know whats needed to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah huge bonus being last up in the pool games, especially going to Toulouse where it's guaranteed to be tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Not a single Saturday evening kick off and 3 Sunday afternoon ones, somebody in EPCR doesn't like us clearly

I'm just glad I booked the flight returning on the Monday from Toulouse, not that there was a choice with Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Sunday for the last round and 2nd last game of entirepool stages makes it better as you know exactly what is needed to qualify.

Munster are bit down pecking order nowadays so cant/shouldn't expect the late Saturday evening games all the time like they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think if we are honest it says more about how attractive Munster rugby is now to the neutral or occasional fan. There was a time a lot of neutrals would have tuned into a Munster game and a thronged Thomand park with a raucous atmosphere but none of that has happened in a good few seasona

Will be interesting to see the RTE viewing figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,749 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Doesn't alter the fact that Munster wouldn't be the draw they were before in the UK TV market , which is the market that largely drives the KO day/time decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,749 ✭✭✭✭phog

In case people missed it in the red letter the MRSC have a bus running from Cork to Limerick for the Bulls match and are seeking expressions of interest from members for a bus from Limerick to PuC for the friendly v SA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Explains why the French wanted us on Sunday evening so

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cool Fool

Rowntree out. Wrong man at the wrong time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'm starting to think the same thing....looked absolutely clueless tonight

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ah lads. It's a coaching team. Yeah, it was awful tonight, but where's Leamys defence or Prendys attack?

I said last season that JVG was getting the blame for everything and Larkham was getting off Scott free. My opinion hasn't changed that the other coaches carry just as much blame for performances like tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Lads here looking forward to Munster in the European Cup.

God help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭moby2101

Spend the Saffer money wisely on Biggar for next year, we haven’t one competent 10 in the squad at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ernie McCracken

Back to the soccer forum with you. Disposable fans with disposable wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

He's not wrong, are you optimistic about this season? Do you think we've played anything less than absolute **** since pre season and all through the first games of the URC? This is not "teething" problems with coaching style - this is either an outright rejection of Rowntree as coach by the players, or an absolute collapse in the coaching tactics and planning. We are awful and there is no sugar coating it by throwing names around or claiming people aren't real fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

in fairness, while i think GR should be given a bit more time and i disagree with this 'manager X out' BS that is so prevalent in that other 'sport', i do think there is some bit true in what the other poster was saying, appointing rowntree seemed at the time to be more of a case of hes the cheapest man for the job rather than the best necessarily imo. now, i was one of those who was very unimpressed with andy farrell for a while and hes obviously turned things around so i hope the same can happen in this case, id be fairly pessimistic on that one though unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ernie McCracken

I think his analysis isn’t far off where Munster are going wrong. Handling errors, penalty count, aggression in contact area, holding onto the ball and building pressure, cohesion. He comes across as determined and that has not transferred to the players, it’s just about getting the players to respond. The players have to take a large amount of blame. There’s been a lack of intensity in all areas of Munster’s play going back 3/4 seasons now.

Rowntree has some real decisions to make now. He has to decide if it’s time to cut players not performing regardless of reputation or time served. He has a lot to gain by throwing in youngsters and building them up. Campbell, Phillips, Crowley to name just three. He has to make hard and quick decisions to drop guys like Healy if they fail to perform. By upping the ante and putting players careers on the line, he just might get the frantic response needed. There’s a cozy complacent feeling about the players, happy to plod along and no real tension over their survival in the squad. That has to change.

Post edited by Ernie McCracken on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i dont think the management could do anything about the amount of stupid errors made tonight , its the same 3 or 4 players in a munster jersey doing all the work ,mahoney ,beirne , jack , whoever , how many turnovers did the forwards win in the second half tonight only for a stupid turnover or offside a few minutes later , the bench is poor even some of the starting 15 is poor at the moment ,

munster rugby is a long way from having the likes of frankie sheehan or mick o'driscoll as replacements , there is not that embarrassment of riches in the squad any more , 10 to 13 looks very poor at the moment too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

A friend said this to me when VG announced his intended departure for Bath... Rowntree soon after was pressed by the media if he'd be interested in applying for a promotion to the head coach position.

Rowntree in January:

"As I keep saying, the club and the IRFU both know my aspirations in my coaching career, put it that way. It’s not something I want to talk about today. Please ask me some more about the young players"

My friend said it's like when you're in primary school and your teacher asks the class a question. There's always that one dcikhead who puts his hand up and clicks his fingers repeatedly and says "miss, miss, miss, miss, miss" and strains over his desk waving his clicking arm in the air, craving for a chance to answer.

The teacher looks for any other kid to reply. With no other alternative, she finally, (dejectedly) says "yes Graham?".

And Graham answers the question and sits back like the cat who got the cream.

Sadly for us, the question the teacher asked this time was "would any rugby coach out there like to be munster head coach?"

All of the other coaches stared at their fingernails awkwardly and refused to make eye contact with the teacher, until eventually she called on Graham.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

• Subscribers Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That's not at all anyway close to the actual situation

Graham literally refused to answer the question, and absolutely did not strain with a "miss miss miss pick me" invitation

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

When you think back to last season, JVG was getting it from all angles around Christmas last year, I think it was. We had only lost 2 games.

There's some mitigation (for want of a better word) for this coaching team - we were missing 20 players last night for various reasons - but when the young lads arrive back after the EI tour, you'd have to hope we'll at least begin to see some improvement on the performance level, without even mentioning results.

I'd love to see Crowley being given a shot, with a backrow of 6. POM, 7. Hodnett and 8. Gav Coombes and Casey our starting 9 for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I've no doubt it will come better for the Munster squad and the staff, but I find it interesting to hear Jackman on the coverage for this evening's match, saying just now that it might be the case that Munster should write off this year and concentrate on a rebuild.

Honestly thats all we've been hearing about Munster since Erasmus left and I'm not sure the fans or the finances can survive another season in that vein.

Munster are absolutely inert now compared to the Club and Commercial development seen across the other three provinces and they need something to set the place alight very urgently indeed.

Advertisement