Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour of Afghanistan in India 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

bout time

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Alam out for 0

This is pathetic. The series was there to be won. The captain is rubbish why has Stirling or KOB not been used to try and break these partnerships.

We'll be 29/3 after 10 overs!

tbf, we've often seen KOB late overs go for 20+ and questioned the wisdom of sticking him in. Its part of the modern game that teams can bat down the order

Kahn 50. 220/9 with two overs left.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Kahn 50. 220/9 with two overs left.

Murtagh final over goes for just 3.

223/9 going into last over

• Advertisement

done

Kahn gone first ball final over

224 the target. Well done bowlers

that's a very gettable target

probably 91 all out in an hour tho

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

KevIRL wrote: »
    tbf, we've often seen KOB late overs go for 20+ and questioned the wisdom of sticking him in. Its part of the modern game that teams can bat down the order

I'm not saying KOB should be bowling death overs. Completely agree he gets smashed about. He has a handy knack of picking up wickets though and I would have thrown him the ball for an over or 2 when those partnerships were getting set. These guys play spin well so their lower order are probably more comfortable against our spinners than medium pacers.

All being said we'd have taken that at the start but from 81/6, they've 40/50 more than we'd have hoped. Going to be a tight run chase. Hopefully Porterfield is due a knock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Lot of work to do. We were beating the bat a bit and if we can do that, well then I reckon it's going to be tough enough for our lads.

• Advertisement

Need to keep the head steady and build a few partnership. No need to be going nuts early on chasing that total

Not sure why you'd pick Singh and not throw him the ball. Porterfield for me is very conservative. Seems happy to see the scoreboard ticking away at 3/4 an over. I think he forgets the slog overs come at the end!

Not sure why you'd pick Singh and not throw him the ball. Porterfield for me is very conservative. Seems happy to see the scoreboard ticking away at 3/4 an over. I think he forgets the slog overs come at the end!

He'd want at least to be getting a few more runs to justify his place? Would I be right in thinking he's only averaged 3 or 4 in last half dozen matches?

19/0 after 5 overs

Porterfield in double digits, he better be careful he doesn't get a nosebleed

Porterfield out after three consecutive fours

lol, jesus christ

Balbirnie out

Two soft wickets, you'd have to say.

Its the hope that kills ya!

• Advertisement

Stirling out

are we england in disguise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Stirling out stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

Standard 33/3

Stirling out stumped on a really tight call.
    I reckon he has a stud behind the line.

I wasn't too far off with 29/3. Same problem every game. Can't finish teams off in the field can't see off the new ball. No wonder Khan has such record against us. He bowls at the tail!

Thought we'd struggle, but... self imposed.

Maiden over and 36/3 after 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Short ball pulled for four by Singh and a couple of balls later he cuts it for another 4. 46-3.

Advantage for these two is that they can take plenty of time to get in, chasing a below par score. No need to take risks at this stage.

It's a subject I keep repeating but what do the batting coaches and selectors actually do?

The batsmen haven't a clue against the spinners. Not just these spinners but every spinner they face. It's rabbits in headlights all the time. I know coaching alone can't transform people into world class talent. But surely some coaching can mitigate these consistent top order collapses. Can they not come up with a plan to keep Mujeeb out for the first 10 overs. I'm sick of seeing Mujeeb 5-2-7-2 after 10 overs. You can't recover from that every game.

We've lost our 3rd wicket at 14, 29 and 33 in these 3 games. The fourth wickets were 35 and 73 so far. It's pathetic batting. Why has McCollum or Tucker not been given a chance? In what world is Simi Singh a number 4. The selectors won't give youth a chance. I'd prefer to be beaten trying to plan for the future then be beaten just standing still. McCarthy has a brilliant strike rate and we won't play him. Why won't they pick a bowler that takes wickets?

Why have we gone on an international tour and had no warm up games? When was the last 50 over game these guys played? When was the last 4 day game? You can't compete with that preparation.

Bracewell and Ford were veteran coaches with their best days behind them. They picked up easy money from CI. A young up and coming coach with fresh innovative ideas and belief in youth should have got the job!

CI chased the test match dream to the detriment of Irish Cricket. They backed a dying format over investing in young players that would bring the T20 and 50 over teams forward. T20 is the future, CI completely ignored it!

• Advertisement

CI chased the test match dream to the detriment of Irish Cricket. They backed a dying format over investing in young players that would bring the T20 and 50 over teams forward. T20 is the future, CI completely ignored it!

Team does have a legacy look about it now. I dunno about above, if T20 is the future of cricket, the game would become a parody.

That said, our strengths do clearly lie more in the shorter formats where we've been playing for years. I can't see us getting anywhere in test cricket - we just don't have the bowling attack that's needed. And arguably the patience required for batting in that format. They're such different games that you'd think with our limited resources, we'd need to focus on one.

Advertisement