Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycleways Cup - 3rd March 2019

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The more I read about today, the more I think of stage 14 of the 1988 Giro. I tried to pretend I was Andy Hampsten but failed miserably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

RobFowl wrote: »
    From where I was the conditions were warm and pleasant (inside a car following the A4 race ;) ).
    Serious respect for the Marshals standing on corners, really felt for them., Great dedications. Super organisation by the club and they couldn't be faulted.
    Our Club champ won the A4 race after a 2 up break which annihilated the rest of the race. Not much between them at the end and both up to A3 now (well deserved).
    Took nearly an hour for him to stop shaking and passed various riders in "rag order" on the way back to the race HQ. Gave my jacket to one guy riding back who looked just a tad cold ..

I was just in front of you driving the commisaire, your man was very wise and the other not so much!

Enjoy the full view at the end, wasnt sure which rider you were supporting? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The winner of the A2 decided against wearing gloves!!! Unless he binned them for being soaked through

Missed Wishbone Ash's post!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Mitchel 'gloves are for wimps' McLaughlin of Four Masters CC (Co Donegal) crossing the line in the A2!

(Pic Sean Rowe)

uJ4t11ih.jpg

were the roads closed for this event?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Just wondering if anyone picked up a yellow/white/green helmet with "TOMOUNT" on the side? I might have left it at sign-on.

It's a very basic helmet, old fashioned even, but I'm quite attached to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Just wondering if anyone picked up a yellow/white/green helmet with "TOMOUNT" on the side? I might have left it at sign-on.

I think that helmet was in the changing room after the race, I was trying to change and people kept asking me was it my helmet. Ring the organisers as they might have it, most people were gone home at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

were the roads closed for this event?

No, bar the finish line area. The Traffic is held for a few minutes whilst the finish of each race unfolds for safety reasons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

miller_63 wrote: »
    I was just in front of you driving the commisaire, your man was very wise and the other not so much!

Enjoy the full view at the end, wasnt sure which rider you were supporting? :D

It was much appreciated !

Was very impressed at the level of support the club put on, simply fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Hi Dirk
    I had to back up to a garage there this morning to get some gloves we left behind. I took a look around the community centre (which was closed) in case it was left around outside. Didn't see it sorry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement

I wasn't on the bike yesterday as I've been battling another cold. Would've been great conditions to test Santini's Meridian jacket which they rated for down to -8.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

“I’m struggling to explain what I witnessed at the Cycleways Cup”
    "he was struck by how ill prepared some of the riders were. He also saw no reason why the racing should have been scrapped or abandoned midway."
    http://www.stickybottle.com/blogs/cycleways-cup-navan-snow-cold/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

In my days we walked to school barefoot.

The line between hardman and eejit is narrowing and becoming more blurred all the time.

Plastik wrote: »
    In my days we walked to school barefoot.
    to be fair, he seems to be taking the opposite line; that in his day, they prepared for the conditions, but there were many people who turned up completely unprepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

This seems apt. A blog post about how tough cycling is, the compulsory Sean Kelly quote and the day after gets up on his turbo

https://paullafford.wordpress.com/2019/03/02/so-it-begins/?fbclid=IwAR0LZfM-UGjnSQBoXG75pARYqhQHEwdZ00m0Z_d6g0gn2FxcunOSvmdHuqc

To the unknown bike riders, have a great year, see you out there. There’s a weather warning for the morning, if you’re worried about whether it’s too wet to go out, I’ll leave you with this final nugget from Sean Kelly.

“I check the weather, I put on my gear, I go out and do my spin, then when I’m back do I decide if it was too wet or not”

Have a great year.

https://ww w.strava.com/activities/2188688821

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

to be fair, he seems to be taking the opposite line; that in his day, they prepared for the conditions, but there were many people who turned up completely unprepared.

Sorry - I suppose my comment was in relation to his belittling attitude towards the conditions and sure everything was hunky dorey if people just hardened up, trained outside more often, and wore the right clothes. When you have people finishing the race in hypothermic condition then asking whether the race should have gone ahead or been pulled is not a completely out of the ballpark question TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

It takes a lot to stop a bike race alright.

Have done quite a few triathlons where the swim leg was replaced with a second run (becoming a duathlon) due to the water been deemed too cold (and this is in May with wetsuit compulsory) or a few waves (that would be of little interest to the surfing community)

They are all adults. They should be able to judge for themselves if they are prepared enough for the conditions that were forecast.

If they cancelled the race they'd have people moaning either way and they'd have still been incurring costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The point made in the article is valid, ill prepeared racers for conditions forecast.

I'm racing tomorrow with enough gear for 3 seasons so preparation is key. Lds racing in the bare minimum in that cold was mental.

Game of odds really. I hate overheating and always trend towards bare minimum. Have race in cold, clear bright conditions with shorts (most guys have legs covered) and one thin layer under the jersey and felt I got it perfect. But got caught out badly in the final stage of Gorey last year due to forecast misinterpretation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

As i haven't got a set of knee warmers i'll likely race legs out alright tomorrow but that would be a choice normally unless near 2/3 degress.

dahat wrote: »
    As i haven't got a set of knee warmers i'll likely race legs out alright tomorrow but that would be a choice normally unless near 2/3 degress.

Its not so much the temperature I find but whether or not there is precipitation with it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think it's important to remember that conditions on Sunday worsened as the race went on.

I warmed up in more clothes than I would wear on a winter spin, let alone a race, and I was cold starting out, but I figured I would warm up once the racing started and being too warm is as bad as being too cold.

Very little could have prepared you for what unfolded. I had winter gloves on but my hands were still numb all the way through. I didn't wear overshoes as I rarely need them and my toes were actually fine...weird circulation.

I don't think the race should have been stopped, but I don't think it's fair to blame riders for being ill prepared when conditions went from cold to arctic.

It wasn't simply a case of "harden up and keep riding".

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Raymzor

Precipitation was predicted. Temperatures of 2 degrees were predicted that morning. Temperature dropped from 4 degrees to 1.5 degrees during the race for everyone’s second lap. How anyone tried to race in shorts is beyond me. Anyone who made comments about having to rescue unprepared riders doesn’t understand how races are organized.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Weepsie wrote: »
    They are all adults. .
    Juniors are not adults.

Advertisement