Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

L drivers, cars taken

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

fritzelly wrote: »
    Could have been stopping them leaving the car park...

No, it was morning time, Garda car parked in the school car park, any young drivers been spoken too, all were above board and legal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Marcusm wrote: »
    If it’s a school car park, the board of management should ensure that access is only available to appropriately licensed and insured drivers. The school’s in loco parentis responsibilities would leave it open to claims.

Should the owners / management of every privately owned car park do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

If the learner driver cars can be taken, then also should the cars driven by those that have no driving test done yet, as it came out in the news last week, that people are booking and not turning up to do tests, they are also learners until they have a full licence, what is the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

goat2 wrote: »
    If the learner driver cars can be taken, then also should the cars driven by those that have no driving test done yet, as it came out in the news last week, that people are booking and not turning up to do tests, they are also learners until they have a full licence, what is the difference

None they just can't say no or take the car as they may well have someone with them.... Obviously highly unlikely if insured and actually have a car.

If found driving alone car is gone but the biggest issue is how easy it is to get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

goat2 wrote: »

If they haven't passed a test, they are still a learner. No difference. If you are on your 23rd provisional licence, you are still a learner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Learner drivers should not be on the road but the lessons are so darn expensive and if you don't have any accompanied driver then you're gonna need a lot of them to have any chance of passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Good thing that this enforcement is being publicized. Those that don’t care about this rule of the road and it’s safety implications on those around them are not just NOT going to care about L plates. It WILL be an attitude that filters across other elements of their driving, potentially at a greater cost then just getting a fine or a car taken off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Was at the driving test center last week with my son , 2 drivers turned up at test center with own car unaccompanied test was taken in their own car and drove out if test center by themselves, would have though the tester would have something to say about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,074 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Learner drivers should not be on the road but the lessons are so darn expensive and if you don't have any accompanied driver then you're gonna need a lot of them to have any chance of passing.

As is the way in most EU countries . You do lessons until you pass the test . In Germany for example absolutley no one is on the road without a full licence unless in a driving school car .
    The young people start saving for lessons early on and usually do intensive lessons at 18 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Was at the driving test center last week with my son , 2 drivers turned up at test center with own car unaccompanied test was taken in their own car and drove out if test center by themselves, would have through the tester would have something to say about it?

Legally the tester cannot stop them, it is a matter for the Gardai when the learner turns up and even if they pass and upon leaving do not have a full licence, it is clearly stated that a certificate of competency is not a full licence.

Until the full licence is in a drivers hand then they must be accompanied. We need proper people to run the relevant departments in this country, Lord Ross never owned a car yet is in charge of the entire transport network across the 26 counties, A solicitor with years of experience working on road traffic legislation would be one such idea that would help shake up the laws, it's something i feel strongly about.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    As is the way in most EU countries . You do lessons until you pass the test . In Germany for example absolutley no one is on the road without a full licence unless in a driving school car .
    The young people start saving for lessons early on and usually do intensive lessons at 18 .

But this is Ireland in 2019 where the sense of entitlement is higher than anywhere else known to man, there is a fcuk you attitude to our laws and law enforcement.

But this is Ireland in 2019 where the sense of entitlement is higher than anywhere else known to man, there is a fcuk you attitude to our laws and law enforcement.

And added to that is the lack of enforcement of our laws .

Look no further than King Leo and Prince Paschal on that one, they are the (un-elected) leader & purse string controller respectively. The garda force needs to be doubled, each and every motor vehicle fitted with ANPR technology, roll out the roadside app as a matter of urgency. Build more prisons on top of it, this revolving door system in jails plus soft sentences handed down by the judiciary make a mockery of this country. Head over the border into 'norn iron' and they don't take anywhere near the sh1t that is tolerated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Yes, a lot of people seem have been under the impression that it was only this year that driving unaccompanied became illegal, it has been illegal since 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Look no further than King Leo and Prince Paschal on that one, they are the (un-elected) leader & purse string controller respectively. The garda force needs to be doubled, each and every motor vehicle fitted with ANPR technology, roll out the roadside app as a matter of urgency. Build more prisons on top of it, this revolving door system in jails plus soft sentences handed down by the judiciary make a mockery of this country. Head over the border into 'norn iron' and they don't take anywhere near the sh1t that is tolerated here.

Sounds like you want to replicate the USA system! Lots of prisons, lots of employment keeping the inmates under control. Lots of Gardai to feed above system.

Yes, a lot of people seem have been under the impression that it was only this year that driving unaccompanied became illegal, it has been illegal since 2010.
    Each and every permit issued since then be it 1st,2nd,3rd or 103rd all have code 999 on the back 'must be accompanied by a qualified driver'

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Sounds like you want to replicate the USA system! Lots of prisons, lots of employment keeping the inmates under control. Lots of Gardai to feed above system.

And would you believe i've never been out of the country.

Well a fit punishment for a crime would be a start . Plus enforcement of laws and penalties when broken . That might help

I don't think the amount of Gardai is the problem, the revolving door system is though. I'm sure every Garda is frustrated at having to bring the same faces through the courts every few months.
    However as it keeps the judges, barristers and solicitors paid I don't think we will see any changes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Yes, a lot of people seem have been under the impression that it was only this year that driving unaccompanied became illegal, it has been illegal since 2010.[/QU
    2010 ? .I learned to drive in 1967, and you had o be accompanied then

• Advertisement

I don't think the amount of Gardai is the problem, the revolving door system is though. I'm sure every Garda is frustrated at having to bring the same faces through the courts every few months.
    However as it keeps the judges, barristers and solicitors paid I don't think we will see any changes there.

Every few months? Every week or every few weeks, you’d regularly see it online. The judges are appointed due to their political connections in some cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

MIKEKC wrote: »
    2010 ? .I learned to drive in 1967, and you had o be accompanied then

I and many friends learnt to drive in early 1980s and I don't recall any such stricture at all. You got in, you drove, you got experience and then you passed your test. I did the test twice, took me the first to figure out what the examiner was looking for and then took that into account on repeat.

That's how you pass all tests/ exams - you figure what's required. I was no safer or better a driver after passing than I was going into first test. I'd already figured out how to drive safely and competently by simply driving and taking responsibility.

And that's what's wrong with the current system - how to get real experience..

I and many friends learnt to drive in early 1980s and I don't recall any such stricture at all. You got in, you drove, you got experience and then you passed your test. I did the test twice, took me the first to figure out what the examiner was looking for and then took that into account on repeat.

That's how you pass all tests/ exams - you figure what's required. I was no safer or better a driver after passing than I was going into first test. I'd already figured out how to drive safely and competently by simply driving and taking responsibility.

And that's what's wrong with the current system - how to get real experience..

Mid 80s for me, and yes you had to be accompanied on your 1st, 3rd and subsequent provisional licences (note they were called licences then, not permits)

Many of course ignored the law as the penalties were relatively minor (No points back then either)

I came across this and had to laugh.

“Attention All L Plate Drivers,
    Driving is a necessity, NOT a luxury.
    Our Irish Government, specifically Shane Ross The Minister of transport Campaigned for and passed a law banning L Drivers off the roads. To summaries this means :
    L Drivers cannot Drive unaccompanied.
    Cars are liable to be seized
    If your car is seized you have to pay a hefty fine
    If the fines are not paid, the alternative is prison time.
    Penalty points on your liscence
    A possible ban off the roads
    This law discriminates against all who are simply trying to:
    Learn how to drive
    Get to work
    Get yourself/kids/family to Hospital appointments
    Get to college/School
    When this law was brought in, The working class people in this country living in rural areas/towns were not considered.
    Many people are struggling to now afford to pay the bills/buy messages/attend Work & College which means - their livelihood & future is being robbed from them.
    On top of this - The waiting times to even get a practical test is atrocious in some areas, in many cases people are waiting 6months-1Year for a test.
    We are calling for an alternative solution to this law such as:
    Completing Your 12 Required lessons, getting your instructor to sign a document of some kind saying you can drive alone up to your practical test date in order to keep your job and sustain your quality of living. (if instructor feels you need more lessons, then more lessons can be gotten until the instructor sees fit to sign off on your ability to drive alone)
    This is just one of many alternatives to this law, and it would benefit everyone. This discrimination against L Plate Drivers cannot go on, especially When it affects people’s ability to live securely.
    Driving is a necessity and NOT a luxury.”

https://www.change.org/p/irish-government-abolish-discriminative-driving-laws-against-l-drivers-in-ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

i think the long wait times for test and retest need to be looked at, a lot of drivers are just to impatience to wait, still surprised at the response of Garda to this new law and the rate of prosecution, but i suppose because with L plates on the car, big red flag. (not advising to take off L plates before going out unaccompanied).but at the end of of the day its a piece of paper and one tester saying your ok to drive, the day before you were not,you were just a Criminal breaking the law.
    but it must be keeping the Guards busy.

The RSA has taking their share of responsibility for this. What's an Adult L driver supposed to do? Give up their jobs? [Good luck getting taxes from people in this economy then] The RSA got greedy and made the test expensive [from €35 to €90] and harder and harder to ensure people would have to re test at €90 a pop [and I wonder if the tester can pass by their own standards] Waiting list that last nearly half the year,etc. Do they expect people to put their lives on hold until they grow a brain and cop on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

“Attention All L Plate Drivers, Driving is a necessity, NOT a luxury. Our Irish Government, specifically Shane Ross The Minister of transport Campaigned for and passed a law banning L Drivers off the roads. To summaries this means : L Drivers cannot Drive unaccompanied. Cars are liable to be seized If your car is seized you have to pay a hefty fine If the fines are not paid, the alternative is prison time. Penalty points on your liscence A possible ban off the roads This law discriminates against all who are simply trying to: Learn how to drive Get to work Get yourself/kids/family to Hospital appointments Get to college/School When this law was brought in, The working class people in this country living in rural areas/towns were not considered. Many people are struggling to now afford to pay the bills/buy messages/attend Work & College which means - their livelihood & future is being robbed from them. On top of this - The waiting times to even get a practical test is atrocious in some areas, in many cases people are waiting 6months-1Year for a test. We are calling for an alternative solution to this law such as: Completing Your 12 Required lessons, getting your instructor to sign a document of some kind saying you can drive alone up to your practical test date in order to keep your job and sustain your quality of living. (if instructor feels you need more lessons, then more lessons can be gotten until the instructor sees fit to sign off on your ability to drive alone) This is just one of many alternatives to this law, and it would benefit everyone. This discrimination against L Plate Drivers cannot go on, especially When it affects people’s ability to live securely. Driving is a necessity and NOT a luxury.â€

What utter crap. This petition will get the attention it deserves....none .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I know of two people who were knocked off bicycles by unaccompanied L drivers; one was in a coma for weeks and has had a long, slow, difficult recovery; the other was also seriously injured.

You shouldn't be driving alone until you've passed a test to prove that you're competent to be in charge of a couple of tons of machinery on a public road. In fact, if I had my way drivers would take a retest every five years.

Around 150 people are killed by drivers every year in Ireland, never mind the thousands that are maimed and crippled.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The RSA has taking their share of responsibility for this. What's an Adult L driver supposed to do? Give up their jobs? [Good luck getting taxes from people in this economy then] The RSA got greedy and made the test expensive [from €35 to €90] and harder and harder to ensure people would have to re test at €90 a pop [and I wonder if the tester can pass by their own standards] Waiting list that last nearly half the year,etc. Do they expect people to put their lives on hold until they grow a brain and cop on?

An adult L driver should take lessons and pass the test. Again there is nothing new in not being allowed to drive unaccompanied on a learner permit, those who think otherwise are only highlighting their own ignorance of the rules of the road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Was at the driving test center last week with my son , 2 drivers turned up at test center with own car unaccompanied test was taken in their own car and drove out if test center by themselves, would have though the tester would have something to say about it?
    I was called in from the waiting room by myself, drove with the tester and then went back to the centre for my result/feedback where I was told the certificate of competency isn't a licence to drive alone.
    The tester didn't see me arrive or leave in the car, so wouldn't have known who was/wasn't accompanying me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Posy wrote: »
    I was called in from the waiting room by myself, drove with the tester and then went back to the centre for my result/feedback where I was told the certificate of competency isn't a licence to drive alone.
    The tester didn't see me arrive or leave in the car, so wouldn't have known who was/wasn't accompanying me!

I suppose the tester wouldn't necessarily see it and ask no questions, but i though it was brazen to turn up unaccompanied especially with recent clamp down.

Advertisement