Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

L drivers, cars taken

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

UrbanFret wrote: »
    How is a young lad or lass in rural Ireland supposed to get to and from work ? There is no public transport system,no taxi service most of the time, and no one available to accompany them . But hey ho shane ross thinks he's doing the country a great service, Wait until the c##ts come canvassing again. ... If Ross wants these laws then he needs a revamp of public transport or better still reopen the railway lines that were scandalously confined to history.
    The answer to your question is a 49cc moped. Can be driven unaccompanied on a learner permit, cheap to purchase, cheap to tax and insure, and cheap to run.

Any more questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Acosta wrote: »
    I can't see a further breakdown on the 55% but on the same year people aged 66 and over were statistically the most at risk of being killed on the roads according to the RSA.
    Does it indicate if those over 66 are drivers, passengers or pedestrians? Being statistically 'most at risk' doesn't mean the same thing as causing the risk. Perhaps younger drivers are putting these over 66 people at risk? Quite a high number of pedestrians killed seem to be older people.

Acosta wrote:
    ...In 20 years I can't remember one RSA ad not directed exclusively at young drivers....
    You must have missed all those RSA ads directed at drink drivers, the ads regarding respect for cyclists, the ads regarding CPC's for bus/truck drivers, the ads regarding towing trailers, the ads regarding agricultural vehicles during harvest time, the ads regarding the new testing requirements for large tractors etc.

....and that's just off the top of my head.None of the above could be said to be directed at younger drivers only.
    Acosta wrote:
    ....The post from doolox above I think provides an insight as to why road safety campaigns are exclusively directed at younger drivers. It's politically convenient. There would be holy war if the RSA started to target older drivers in campaigns and politicians would not be happy about it as they'd be getting it in the neck on the doorsteps and losing votes. If more young people were politically active and actually voted things might be different in this regard....
    Insurance companies don't give a hoot about politics yet charge lower rates for older drivers compared to younger drivers. They base their rates on the stats their actuaries compile from payouts.- i.e. older drivers are a lower risk. If they were a higher risk, they would charge more just like health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Acosta wrote: »
    I can't see a further breakdown on the 55% but on the same year people aged 66 and over were statistically the most at risk of being killed on the roads according to the RSA.

Being most at risk being killed does not mean they are driving at the time . My guess is most pedestrian killed are 66 and over .

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

It's a horrendous law on anyone not served by regular public transport, basically anyone outside a city.

Agree. The most startling thing about this law is they CAN drive a tractor though but not the car. I mean WTF :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

I live it the country I lived in the countryside and I got on fine without a car! Imagine having to walk to a bus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Just take the L plates down job is oxo. Pathetic law.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

pablo128 wrote: »
    The answer to your question is a 49cc moped. Can be driven unaccompanied on a learner permit, cheap to purchase, cheap to tax and insure, and cheap to run.

Any more questions?
    True. many young lads started out with a small bike to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Was watching a UK cop show yesterday.

A learner driver was driving with her mam (full licensed) with her.

The mother was drunk. She was arrested for accompanying a learner while under the influence. She got 10 penalty points and a fairly hefty fine.

Was kinda surprised by the severity of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tzardine wrote: »
    Was watching a UK cop show yesterday.

A learner driver was driving with her mam (full licensed) with her.

The mother was drunk. She was arrested for accompanying a learner while under the influence. She got 10 penalty points and a fairly hefty fine.

Was kinda surprised by the severity of it.

Here it has been proved that you can be the accompanying person and be absolutely sh1t faced.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Here it has been proved that you can be the accompanying person and be absolutely sh1t faced.

Really? Can you provide any evidence to support that claim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Anthonylfc wrote: »
    Wouldnt see them do this to travellers

How do you think Margaret Cash racked up so many convictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Someone told me the same thing in the pub on Friday, said it had just been passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The cut off for disqualification is 12 points so unless she had previous points she is still on the road. Depending on the size of the fine this seems inconsistent assuming that a similar compulsory ban exists in the UK for drink driving as now exists here. I have just checked and the minimum appears to be 12 months for even a tiny bit over the limit so unless she was fined thousands she got off relatively lightly.

This ignores the appallingly bad example she is giving her son who presumably is under 18 and a minor as many people would be if holding a learner driver permit.

It is hard to judge the actions of others when drink is involved but the lack of a disqualification would tend to suggest that no erratic driving or traffic incident took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

RSA confirmed it the other day.

It's actually bizarre as the one with the licence is meant to be there to guide.

I could set up a business tomorrow where I could be your passenger while I have a few drinks....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

RSA confirmed it the other day.

It's actually bizarre as the one with the licence is meant to be there to guide.

I could set up a business tomorrow where I could be your passenger while I have a few drinks....

Any link or proof though?

You can never tell when the cops will have checkpoints anywhere.

If you are involved in an accident your learner status will be revealed.

Unless you have a dog cheap banger you will lose at least 800 or 900 euro when the car is seized. NCT and insurance limitations mean that older cars are becoming impossible to be run by young drivers so that this financial loss could be a lot higher.

Another thought is that the cops will eventually have to dispose of all the seized cars by auction to other members of the public. I would not like to be seen driving a seized car by the previous owner if I bought one at auction.

I reckon the cops will have to disperse them to remote parts of the country from where they were seized to avoid unsavoury and angry scenes that might happen if a disgruntled former owner of a recently seized car should happen to see his recently seized car being driven by someone else.

Can ordinary members of the public check online for current car ownership or is this only confined to guards and authorised persons? Whats to stop a person whose car was seized from finding out who the new owners are and maliciously damaging the car out of pure spite???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

doolox wrote: »
    You can never tell when the cops will have checkpoints anywhere.

If you are involved in an accident your learner status will be revealed.

Unless you have a dog cheap banger you will lose at least 800 or 900 euro when the car is seized. NCT and insurance limitations mean that older cars are becoming impossible to be run by young drivers so that this financial loss could be a lot higher.

Another thought is that the cops will eventually have to dispose of all the seized cars by auction to other members of the public. I would not like to be seen driving a seized car by the previous owner if I bought one at auction.

I reckon the cops will have to disperse them to remote parts of the country from where they were seized to avoid unsavoury and angry scenes that might happen if a disgruntled former owner of a recently seized car should happen to see his recently seized car being driven by someone else.

Can ordinary members of the public check online for current car ownership or is this only confined to guards and authorised persons? Whats to stop a person whose car was seized from finding out who the new owners are and maliciously damaging the car out of pure spite???

I did not know that, when the car is taken, that they would not get it back, I did think that maybe they would have to pay to have it released to the owner,
    Is it true that they do not get their car back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

If a car is impounded and not claimed after x amount of time it is crushed. Only something of extreme value might be spared or on finance.

If they were to take my car, if anything were to happen to it. I will find them.....

You a learner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

A number of things need to be done in this country but alas they won't

No issuing of a 3rd or subsequent learner permit without evidence of having sat a driving test.

Test those who were issued with licences in the amnesty.

Bring in Applus or SGS testers to get the backlog down, i did my own test in a car with SGS at a Dublin NCT centre.

It will probably become necessary to check every driver's licence/permit at checkpoints, the technology is now there to check if a driver has a full driving licence/learner permit/disqualified via the hand held devices linked to the RSA's database.

What "Amnesty" are you referring to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

Not proof, but I also heard this. it was being discussed by a TD on the radio news Friday.

jelutong wrote: »
    What "Amnesty" are you referring to?

I’m parking that topic as has been requested

Not proof, but I also heard this. it was being discussed by a TD on the radio news Friday.

I'm deeply cynical on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I'm deeply cynical on this.

I heard Matt Cooper talking about it on the radio Thursday or Friday

EPAndlee wrote:
    I heard Matt Cooper talking about it on the radio Thursday or Friday

I did a search and can't find anything to support this notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I'm pretty sure I heard that mentioned on either RTE or Newstalk last week too.
    I'm damned if I can find it anywhere now though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Where a mother drunk in the passenger seat of a car being driven by a learner driver and she failed the breath test and was given 10 penalty points and a s big fine, the Irish legal position is a farce.

I would have supposed that a learner would need to have a capable driver to take over the driving task at any time should the learner become overwhelmed by the driving task in the course of his/her learning. I am sure it has happen that some on-road incident or encounter, probably a simple error leading to an irate encounter has upset the learner driver to such an extent that the accompanying driver needs to take the wheel at very short notice.

This all flies out the window if the supervising driver is impaired due to alcohol consumption.

The requirement that a supervising driver has over two years on his full Licence is there exactly for that reason, so that the supervising driver be of sufficiently sound capacity and experience to help get the learner out of a difficult driving situation or encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

doolox wrote: »
    Where a mother drunk in the passenger seat of a car being driven by a learner driver and she failed the breath test and was given 10 penalty points and a s big fine, the Irish legal position is a farce.

I would have supposed that a learner would need to have a capable driver to take over the driving task at any time should the learner become overwhelmed by the driving task in the course of his/her learning. I am sure it has happen that some on-road incident or encounter, probably a simple error leading to an irate encounter has upset the learner driver to such an extent that the accompanying driver needs to take the wheel at very short notice.

This all flies out the window if the supervising driver is impaired due to alcohol consumption.

The requirement that a supervising driver has over two years on his full Licence is there exactly for that reason, so that the supervising driver be of sufficiently sound capacity and experience to help get the learner out of a difficult driving situation or encounter.

I slurred every word reading that

• Advertisement

EPAndlee wrote: »

Kerry people have an awful bee in their bonnet about closing drink driving loopholes/amending drink driving legislation.

The Healy-Rae's are very quiet about it all.

Advertisement