Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,312 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Works in October on turning the Kirwan roundabout to a signalised junction.
    Advanced works will begin at the end of October and will include earth works, the diversion of a watermain and the installation of temporary fencing. https://connachttribune.ie/works-to-transform-major-city-roundabout-into-traffic-lit-junction-to-begin-next-month/

0513_p1.jpg

More brain dead stuff, Galways traffic is about to get a whole lot worse. Removing the roundabouts was the worst thing ever to happen to traffic in Galway and now they want to get rid of the few that are left that are at least helping traffic a bit. With them all gone its going to be an even bigger mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

zell12 wrote: »
    Works in October on turning the Kirwan roundabout to a signalised junction.
    Advanced works will begin at the end of October and will include earth works, the diversion of a watermain and the installation of temporary fencing. https://connachttribune.ie/works-to-transform-major-city-roundabout-into-traffic-lit-junction-to-begin-next-month/

Great news. It'll be chaotic when the works are taking place but the right long-term plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

More brain dead stuff, Galways traffic is about to get a whole lot worse. Removing the roundabouts was the worst thing ever to happen to traffic in Galway and now they want to get rid of the few that are left that are at least helping traffic a bit. With them all gone its going to be an even bigger mess.

Nox .... Couldn't disagree more .
    All roundabouts need pulling out Now .
    A roundabout works brilliant in one place .... On paper .
    One of the biggest issues regarding the traffic Choas at the moment is the mixture of roundabouts and traffic lights in the system.
    Roundabouts choke up during rush hours .
    A properly manned CCTV traffic light system is the way forward .
    Traffic needs to be flushed in the mornings and out in the evenings .
    I can't wait to see the last roundabout pulled out of the city .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Nox .... Couldn't disagree more .
    All roundabouts need pulling out Now .
    A roundabout works brilliant in one place .... On paper .
    One of the biggest issues regarding the traffic Choas at the moment is the mixture of roundabouts and traffic lights in the system.
    Roundabouts choke up during rush hours .
    A properly manned CCTV traffic light system is the way forward .
    Traffic needs to be flushed in the mornings and out in the evenings .
    I can't wait to see the last roundabout pulled out of the city .
    I wouldn't bother Ashleigh. Some people think the world should revolve around their notions. There's no open mindedness.

• Advertisement

All evidence to the contrary

All evidence to the contrary

Id rather go by the evidence of my own eyes ..... Than some pen pusher in an office .... Thank you

Id rather go by the evidence of my own eyes ..... Than some pen pusher in an office .... Thank you

The evidence of my own eyes is lights are far inferior for traffic flow compared to roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Irish people are useless at utilising roundabouts, Too much thinking and panicking involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Sure what would experts know about traffic flow, with their actual data, technology, experience, modelling and what not... cowboys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

He's agreeing with you why are you attacking him?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,844 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well the evidence of my eyes and blood pressure levels is that we're better off without roundabouts.

YMMV.

etxp wrote: »
    He's agreeing with you why are you attacking him?

Nox isn't agreeing with me .
    I'm 100% behind the decision to take out all city roundabouts.
    Most drivers in galway haven't the ability to drive on roundabouts .
    Anyone that disagrees ... Go down to any of the city roundabouts and witness with your own eyes the level of driving on them.
    During rush hours all its takes is one very inexperienced driver ( there are many) that is waiting for the whole roundabout to be clear before they attempt to move out onto it .
    This causes more and more vecihcles joining the already traffic mess behind them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Irish people are useless at utilising roundabouts, Too much thinking and panicking involved.

Nice generalization there.

Its a minority of people that who cant use roundabouts that cause all the trouble.

Nox isn't agreeing with me .
    I'm 100% behind the decision to take out all city roundabouts.
    Most drivers in galway haven't the ability to drive on roundabouts .
    Anyone that disagrees ... Go down to any of the city roundabouts and witness with your own eyes the level of driving on them.
    During rush hours all its takes is one very inexperienced driver ( there are many) that is waiting for the whole roundabout to be clear before they attempt to move out onto it .
    This causes more and more vecihcles joining the already traffic mess behind them .

Well why are you replying to the wrong post.

I'm in agreement to get rid of roudabouts BTW, it reduces the risk of some asshole pulling out in front of me. People just don't know how to use them or indicate properly on them. Bothar mor roundabout is terrible, no one knows what lane to be in for their exit. First lane is first 2 exits, anything after that is the second lane, but most people use first lane for the 3rd exit if coming out from town.

That's because the many that are not from galway don't realise there's the exit to go down sandy road .
    So they think by been in the first lane they think they are in the correct lane to go out tuam road .
    That roundabout is a joke .
    It's actually falling in to the right .
    I hear it's going to be pulled out to .
    They will close off sandy road exit .
    The rumour is the locals living in gort na glaisce area will exit in by esb offices and come out onto the R338.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm in agreement to get rid of roudabouts BTW, it reduces the risk of some asshole pulling out in front of me. People just don't know how to use them or indicate properly on them. Bothar mor roundabout is terrible, no one knows what lane to be in for their exit. First lane is first 2 exits, anything after that is the second lane, but most people use first lane for the 3rd exit if coming out from town.
    Um. Isn't it clock based? As in if you're exiting at or before 12/6, it's the left lane and after that it's the right. Which would mean the left lane is fine for that exit.

Anyway, just goes to show that roundabouts aren't as straight forward as lights. That roundabout is too small for the amount of traffic going through it. I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

Edit: Just looked it up and this article from the Independent seems to confirm what I said. There may be road markings I've forgotten about though. Can't remember the last time I drove that way.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Um. Isn't it clock based? As in if you're exiting at or before 12/6, it's the left lane and after that it's the right. Which would mean the left lane is fine for that exit.

Anyway, just goes to show that roundabouts aren't as straight forward as lights. That roundabout is too small for the amount of traffic going through it. I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

Edit: Just looked it up and this article from the Independent seems to confirm what I said. There may be road markings I've forgotten about though. Can't remember the last time I drove that way.

You are correct, ill get my coat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

That's because the many that are not from galway don't realise there's the exit to go down sandy road .
    So they think by been in the first lane they think they are in the correct lane to go out tuam road .
    That roundabout is a joke .
    It's actually falling in to the right .
    I hear it's going to be pulled out to .
    They will close off sandy road exit .
    The rumour is the locals living in gort na glaisce area will exit in by esb offices and come out onto the R338.

They are correct. Aren't you a taxi driver?! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

They are correct. Aren't you a taxi driver?! :pac:

Ashleigh1986 are you the taxi driver I had to debate this very roundabout and lane selection with before while getting a lift out to the Clayton?! The taxi driver that was ranting at other road users that didn't know how to use a roundabout!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Traffic lights much safer in my view. The GSC lights work well with a few glitches. Coming from Dunnes is fine through quickly changing lights. You can't be certain at RAs but lights bring order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

There is a sizeable minority who can't use roundabouts in Galway so anything to make the seemingly arduous test of driving around Galway a bit easier for them and safer for everyone else is welcome. Is there any way they could ever get rid of cemetery roundabout or is that going to be like that forever? It's too small and the lane discipline outbound is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    There is a sizeable minority who can't use roundabouts in Galway so anything to make the seemingly arduous test of driving around Galway a bit easier for them and safer for everyone else is welcome. Is there any way they could ever get rid of cemetery roundabout or is that going to be like that forever? It's too small and the lane discipline outbound is a joke.
    The plan to remove it was in local media last year. Closing off Sandy Rd as said above.

Admiring the pandemonium, zoomable image
    rPUDgPi.jpg?1

Note it's called Cemetry Cross, not Joyce Roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Your Face wrote: »

Its a minority of people that who cant use roundabouts that cause all the trouble.

And it highlights the fact that there are way too many inept drivers getting full licenses here! They seem to have made the test a lot easier... have a look at some of the terrible driving being displayed by cars around city with n plates

There should be guards watching out for these wasters at roundabouts and dishing out fines for not making suitable progress

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

LillySV wrote: »

And it highlights the fact that there are way too many inept drivers getting full licenses here! They seem to have made the test a lot easier... have a look at some of the terrible driving being displayed by cars around city with n plates

There should be guards watching out for these wasters at roundabouts and dishing out fines for not making suitable progress
    Another excellent generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

xckjoo wrote: »

It's not a rocket science. The English invented it so that even simpletons can do it. Yet a large percentage in Galway can't or won't.

Left lane - exiting before 12 o'clock
    Right lane - exiting after 12 o'clock

I think there's less people who can't (ignorant) than who won't (lazy). I often see idiots using 2nd lane to exit before 12 o'clock and they use it, because 1st lane has a queue but 2nd not. So they break law out of convenience, laziness and impatience.

Now, another issue in Galway is that roundabouts have no lane markings and this also negatively affects discipline. When I lived in England all RAs had lane markings in the area (in few counties around where I lived).

Actually the test has been made more difficult. The issue is with lack of enforcement. I'm surprised actually that there's no anarchy on the road given there's no guards around. It's actually a miracle people keep any discipline at all...

• Advertisement

Another excellent generalisation.
    This is one isn't true IMHO...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement