Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Tell me WHOY) I don't like Funny Froidays: Liveline 15/2/19 and dat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

BPKS wrote: »
    Wait until some 16 year old driving a John Deere with a huge trailer of silage on the back kills somebody and see if they change the law then.

No joke here, that day is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Electric bikes are an option, they’re fairly speedy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Inconvenience trumping the law. Amazing.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Duffy just doesn't understand the reality of rural Ireland. He doesn't even understand public transport in Dublin but assumes it's like that everywhere.
    There are advantages and disadvantages to living in rural Ireland and in cities. I'm from the countryside, and tbh it seems from a quick online search that the waiting times for driving tests are consistently exaggerated.

I suspect the problem is more that people are failing their tests and then continuing to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    To be fair, the lads around here driving the tractors/trailers are quite on the ball.

Same here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Amberjack wrote: »
    Electric bikes are an option, they’re fairly speedy

But you need an awful long lead!

It was very inconvenient as there was a big queue at the shop. So I massacred the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

To be fair, the lads around here driving the tractors/trailers are quite on the ball.

My point is a 16 year old can drive a tractor and trailer on his own. But a 30 year old learner driver cannot drive a Ford Fiesta on his own.

This is the country we live in folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Who is going to police all this Genius?

Three lessons, great off ya go. Should be same for pilots’ license etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,764 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Get your lad on a bike, learn about the road, then put a car on the road and do some lessons, same as everybody else.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The chap makes a valid point. It's all very well bringing in new laws but if they can't be implemented by ordinary people, then the law becomes an ass. Things have changed a lot since I did the driving test, now everyone has to do 12 lessons and learn under supervision. No reason why learners couldn't be permitted to drive unaccompanied when they've reached a certain standard and under certain conditions.

My point is a 16 year old can drive a tractor and trailer on his own. But a 30 year old learner driver cannot drive a Ford Fiesta on his own.

Yeah, that's ridiculous, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Man's a total gobshyte.
    If his lad is too soft to put a bike on the road, he can just tough it out.

More lads get killed off motorbikes than any other group.

No reason why learners couldn't be permitted to drive unaccompanied when they've reached a certain standard and under certain conditions.

Isnt that called passing the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Why not do a driving test after 3 pints? If these slack jawed yokels pass one then they can drive to ‘stay part of the community’....

Although has anyone asked why do they need to have a pint? Do they have to drink?

This is coming from someone who likes the odd pint but can live without one for weeks/months on end.

The farming lobby will fight any change to that tooth and nail.
    It will be interesting to see the figures for 16 year olds and tractor accidents.

Giving out about too many rules by introducing about a thousand new, unenforceable rules. Good one caller.

More lads get killed off motorbikes than any other group.

It's Darwinism.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It was very inconvenient as there was a big queue at the shop. So I massacred the lot of them.

If the shop was in rural Ireland, you'd be absolutely entitled to do that!

• Advertisement

The chap makes a valid point. It's all very well bringing in new laws but if they can't be implemented by ordinary people, then the law becomes an ass. Things have changed a lot since I did the driving test, now everyone has to do 12 lessons and learn under supervision. No reason why learners couldn't be permitted to drive unaccompanied when they've reached a certain standard and under certain conditions.

This is actually done in the case of student pilots. You have to get an authorization of a Senior Flying Instructor to fly solo. Not many of that species, and you have to do on average 30 lessons to fly alone.

Isnt that called passing the test?

Chicken & egg. It helps greatly to pass the test, if you can gain experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

My Gov ID is a national ID card by stealth.. it's time to sign up - you can't avoid it

In fairness caller it would be impossible to grit all the roads in Cavan, everybody is living everywhere, hardly anybody lives in my home town.

Most folks built a big house on a site outside of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Sombre tones from Joe.

Death or a tragedy imminent.....

Chicken & egg. It helps greatly to pass the test, if you can gain experience.

And turn up to do the test with all the bad habits of yer auld wan and all the ones you've developed yourself.
    Better to stick to the lessons and drive accompanied by a professional.
    That was the case back when I was learning, and I had a few professional drivers in my family who took the same view.

The farming lobby will fight any change to that tooth and nail.
    It will be interesting to see the figures for 16 year olds and tractor accidents.
    Anecdotally, its pretty rare. I can only think of one such accident (my own brother, nearly 20 years ago).

If you're in a tractor your speed is far more limited than a car, and you have a far better view of your environment than a motorist or a cyclist will.

Having said that, there's no reason why we can't introduce driving tests for tractors, and certainly no way in Hell any 16yo should be pulling any kind of load on a tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Don't mention any names....Duffy terrified now.....

woejus wrote: »
    My Gov ID is a national ID card by stealth.. it's time to sign up - you can't avoid it

As I predicted, they're slowly tightening the rules so that if you want to avail of any official services, you need the card.
    Unlike my Credit Union, who refuse to accept the official goverment issued ID card as photo ID. Gobshytes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

As I predicted, they're slowly tightening the rules so that if you want to avail of any official services, you need the card.
    Unlike my Credit Union, who refuse to accept the official goverment issued ID card as photo ID. Gobshytes.

bloody credit union- every time I go in I bring my driving licence as more often than not I am asked for it despite them having a copy of it on their system....gas they are 10 people running around behind the counter, oul wuns paying a fiver of this and a fiver off that.

i had 50K savings with them for 2 years (was waiting to buy land that dragged on longer than I thought I just needed quick access) earned about e100 interest in that time. Then they asked me what I wanted my money for and would I like a loan instead (at 7-8 % frickin percent)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement