Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 2x05 - "Saints of Imperfection" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options
124»

Comments

Blazer wrote: »
    Wheel of time? Are they making a show on that? Oh man bring it on. Along with the Witcher something to look forward to.

Amazon show with Uta Briesewitz pencilled in to direct first two episodes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ironically the one bridge member who got to go on the adventure, has barely been name dropped. In fact I can't remember her name tbh (she was on the away team in episode 2).

owo? they used it a couple times in this ep iirc. actually i think pike calls her owo instead of owosekun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭pah

The TNG cast were bland archetypes at the beginning, albeit they generally got more lines as the problem solving was more collaborative in Next Gen. But they were no more developed then the Disco bridge crew is 20 episodes in(not even a full TNG season). Now they may well never be developed as well as the TNG cast eventually was, maybe thats just a sacrifice that needed to be made to try something different, but lets not kid ourselves that the TNG cast emerged whole in their Developed state in season 1. Geordie wasn't even an engineer in season one for god sake, he was in command red and working the helm. It took 2 seasons (47 episodes) before the TNG characters became the ones we know and love today and the show kicked into high gear in season 3. 47 episodes , we're only 20 episodes into Discovery.

So true. This post is like an analogy for the modern need to have everything now now now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

pah wrote: »
    So true. This post is like an analogy for the modern need to have everything now now now

Oh please don’t even start. It’s like people here are completely oblivious to discovery’s flaws and refuse to even engage in any discussion that differs from their opinions. Sound like bloody trump supporters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Oh please don’t even start. It’s like people here are completely oblivious to discovery’s flaws and refuse to even engage in any discussion that differs from their opinions. Sound like bloody trump supporters.

I think everyone here has pointed out the flaws of Discovery, they are numerous, it bothers some people to the extent that they actively hate the show, which begs the question, why watch? They bug me but I still like the show overall, this episode was the poorest for me, but there are plenty of shows like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I do think we've become a bit spoiled by the quality of TV shows over the last decade.

Disco has the dubious honour of trying to satisfy the need for high-quality drama and writing, while still keeping it feeling like "Trek", which was often neither, even in the better seasons of TNG.

The result I think is something that feels sometimes not Trekky enough, and sometimes not modern enough.

On balance though, we are 1.5 seasons in, and not a single episode could be considered as bad as the stinkers from TNG, DS9 and VOY.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Pretty sure I've pointed out flaws in every single episode thread this season. The writing is poor at times, the camera work is aLl OVeR thE plACe, the philosophical monologues and other dialog are subtle as a brick.

I've no doubt I'd be doing the same for any Trek. In fact, I didn't watch DS9 for years because – as a diehard TNG fan – who'd want to watch a "Star Trek" show set on a space station?? And I never really could get past the wafer-thin characters on Voyager, or the episodic reset-switch that didn't make any sense given the premise of the show.

But, in hindsight, both of those shows had their merits (DS9 in particular) – and so does Discovery. I might evaluate it as part of the wider Trek universe later but for now, I'm going to enjoy the bits I enjoy and maybe point out a few of the bits I don't.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Pretty sure I've pointed out flaws in every single episode thread this season. The writing is poor at times, the camera work is aLl OVeR thE plACe, the philosophical monologues and other dialog are subtle as a brick.

I've no doubt I'd be doing the same for any Trek. In fact, I didn't watch DS9 for years because – as a diehard TNG fan – who'd want to watch a "Star Trek" show set on a space station?? And I never really could get past the wafer-thin characters on Voyager, or the episodic reset-switch that didn't make any sense given the premise of the show.

But, in hindsight, both of those shows had their merits (DS9 in particular) – and so does Discovery. I might evaluate it as part of the wider Trek universe later but for now, I'm going to enjoy the bits I enjoy and maybe point out a few of the bits I don't.

And that’s fair enough. But it’s the attitude of some people and it’s common across a lot of shows in that they can’t handle criticism of a show and the standard retort is if you hate it so much why dont you stop watching it.
    I criticize BMW hugely but I still drive their cars as I love them. It’s human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

And that’s fair enough. But it’s the attitude of some people and it’s common across a lot of shows in that they can’t handle criticism of a show and the standard retort is if you hate it so much why dont you stop watching it.
    I criticize BMW hugely but I still drive their cars as I love them. It’s human nature.

I think you are a little too easily triggered by having your opinions challenged . We all see the flaws, I've pointed out plenty in these threads. But we are all individuals with different tolerances, what I consider a flaw, you might consider a strength, a character you find insufferable I might only find mildly annoying and vice versa. We're not all always going to agree on the same flaws, and where we differ I'm going to offer up my own interpretation, because this is a forum for doing just that. It's not me being oblivious to flaws, it's not me being intolerant of other people's views, it's my saying I think you might be wrong on this point and here's why.

I think you are a little too easily triggered by having your opinions challenged . We all see the flaws, I've pointed out plenty in these threads. But we are all individuals with different tolerances, what I consider a flaw, you might consider a strength, a character you find insufferable I might only find mildly annoying and vice versa. We're not all always going to agree on the same flaws, and where we differ I'm going to offer up my own interpretation, because this is a forum for doing just that. It's not me being oblivious to flaws, it's not me being intolerant of other people's views, it's my saying I think you might be wrong on this point and here's why.

I wasn’t having a go at you at all. It was a previous poster who asked why if I hated it why don’t I stop watching it. I’ve no problem discussing likes/dislikes about a show as sometimes someone’s perspective can change yours etc. But some people get all defensive about people not liking a show or a particular character and instead of discussing trot out the old “if you don’t like don’t watch it”. I mean how dare you criticize the show I love etc etc :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement