Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on target pistols.

Options
  • 14-02-2019 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

**********************************************************************************************************************

MOD NOTE

Split off from the for sale advert here.

************************************************************************************************************************

I will be looking for a pistol in the next couple of weeks.

Something along the lines of a Ruger Mk.III/IV, Buckmark or 1911.

A few questions,
    1. Are 10 shot .22lr pistols restricted? I heard somewhere it's max 5 rounds.
    2. Will I be able to store it in the same safe as my two non-restricted rifles? I've heard from a few they can't be in the same safe.
    3. If they are restricted - my house is alarmed and it will be stored in an approved safe. Is there anything else I'll need?

PS already a member of a Target Club.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Hack12

Magazines must be restricted to 5 rounds. Only unrestricted pistol licences are issued at present for new applicants. If you put a ten round in you technically have a restricted firearm which you will not have a licence for.

In relation to safes etc you should be allowed in theory have them in the same safe but the superintendent can impose a condition on your licence that they are kept seperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Wadi14

The magazine of the pistol has to be restricted to 5 rounds. So you can have a pistol like the ones you mentioned above you can use the 10 round magazine but you must have it restricted to 5 rounds . The pistols are not restricted your magazine capacity is.

Where it is stored will be decided by the issuing Garda office,( superintendent )
    on the advice of most likely the crime prevention office, he will come out to check your safe etc. It might be ok in the safe you already have he may want it in a separate location and safe.

if your looking to compete in competition, research and choose wisely, some pistols look nice but cant shoot. if its only a bit of plinking at the club buy what you like and enjoy.

Sorry, didn't realise this is in the for sale or wanted section. can mods move or delete my additions please.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Thanks for the help Gents,

Apologies for the confusion Wadi14.. combination of a wanted ad and questions!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Wadi14 wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't realise this is in the for sale or wanted section. can mods move or delete my additions please.

giphy.gif

That is my bad. I split he threads to allow for discussion and forgot to edit the for sale thread.

All sorted now so no harm, no foul.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement