Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord complaining

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

fifigogo wrote: »
    The oven

Can you come and clean my oven please?

That's amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

"he mentioned it when we moved in"

He made you aware at the start of the tenancy that he wanted it professionally cleaned. It's not like he's springing this on you as you prepare to move out. It's not a big ask imo

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭montzarella

Sleeper12 wrote: »

He made you aware at the start of the tenancy that he wanted it professionally cleaned. It's not like he's springing this on you as you prepare to move out. It's not a big ask imo

To be fair, thats spotless.... is it really going to look any different after a “professional” clean? Would the landlord even know the difference? Not sure I would, I’d be delighted to see it looking as is, that cannot be faulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

There's no way the landlord could tell that it wasn't professionally cleaned. Sounds like the oven cleaner who's card he gave to you is a mate of his and he is pushing business his way.
    As it is not in the contract and he only mentioned it to you he has no leg to stand on.
    He'd be laughed out of an RTB hearing if you showed the photos of the oven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

A tenant should maintain the property and the furniture and fittings. They are the one using it.

And that's precisely what they did!
    It's utterly unreasonable to expect appliances to still be new after a year or more of use. They can be clean but they're not going to be "box fresh"

That oven is sparklingly clean. Nobody in their right mind could expect more tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Hi there, we need some advice. we’re just about to move out of a rented apartment after a year. The landlord asked us to have the oven professionally cleaned so I said I would call the company, which I did, but they and others were charging €100 plus. Honestly we can’t afford it. I know to some €100 might not be much but we are both on low incomes and we’re moving out of Dublin because it’s too expensive and we simply don’t have €100 to spare. It’s not in the lease but he did mention it when we moved in and left a business card for us. Anyway I have cleaned the oven and hobs myself. It is very clean. It wasn’t that dirty to begin with but it’s free from food/grease etc. The landlord is now complaining that “it’s all he asks of his tenants”. He also then said that he was embarrassed about the mold on the windows when showing the apartment recently. The apartment wasn’t cleaned when we moved in, an admission from the landlord, but he said the oven was professionally cleaned and it was clean, as clean as it is now. It’s not in a worse state. The mold was there when we moved in and I had been cleaning it around the windows regularly with mold and mildew remover however it just keeps coming back. He sounds pretty annoyed with us over this and now I’m worried he will use this to hold back our deposit. I’ve always paid the rent promptly, never any complaints in fact he said he was sorry to lose us as tenants but now he’s changing his tune. Any advice?

Ps I’ll be sending him photos of the oven, hobs and windows later as they are all clean.
    As a landlord myself, i think its absurd what the landlord is asking.I can clean an oven as good as any professional as im sure you can too.Yet we cant make an oven years old look brand new again.Ive never heard of a request like this before,its absurd

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The LL is trying to scam you out of money, keep those photos and if he tries anything go straight to the RTB and tell him you are doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

The oven
    Excellent,His professional "friend" cannot do better than this.its just not possible

Ps As a landlord myself,its a scam, A low mean one at that

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Sounds like an ass****!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭fifigogo

Sleeper12 wrote: »

No he didn’t spring it on us. It was a verbal request but can he retain that cost from my deposit if it’s not stated on the lease? The oven is very clean and it has been maintained. I posted photos.

• Advertisement

The hobs. The hood was filthy when we moved in so I’ve just given that a wipe down. The first night we moved in, I scrubbed the place and I remember checking the oven and honestly I don’t think the previous tenants had it professionally cleaned but he says it was. As for the mould, I have bleached it and used the dettol stuff over the last year but it keeps coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,018 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That’s all you can do with the mould around the window. Keep it bleached and well ventilated. The mould spores are deeper in the wall than the bleach can penetrate so it will come back. Just kept on top of it.

Use the mild weather to leave the window open to air it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mango Joe wrote: »
    I have massive sympathy for this Landlord.

This is the toughest time in a Landlords whole life - There's a few hundred Euro waiting for him and all he has to do is cook up some grubby, scheming, maggoty reason to try and grab it from you and stuff it into his back pocket.

If his premises was adequately ventilated then the mould wouldn't have been an issue - I'd sue him over the health risk of mould spores.

If only tenants chose not to dry clothes on radiators, if they do that, good ventilation doesn't amount to a hill of beans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Yes, the mould is your responsibility. things like opening windows, not drying laundry on rads, or in rooms, heating the place properly and airing it daily are all responsibilities of the tenant.

It sounds like you did a good job cleaning it up but looking at it from the Ll (or next tenant perspective) it needs to be left spotless!!

Good luck OP.

daithi7 wrote: »
    It sounds like you did a good job cleaning it up but looking at it from the Ll (or next tenant perspective) it needs to be left spotless!!

Good luck OP.
    Surely it needs to be left as it was found (minus normal wear and tear). That’s not necessarily spotless.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Surely it needs to be left as it was found (minus normal wear and tear). That’s not necessarily spotless.

No requirement whatsoever to leave it spotless. Wear and tear is expected and some cleaning by the landlord between tenants is an expected cost of doing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

I bet his own house isn't perfect!!

Okay, really well cleaned => no reason for any argument.

Also, if you expect to get a place clean you should really expect to leave a place clean. Simples!! ��

Okay, really well cleaned => no reason for any argument.

Also, if you expect to get a place clean you should really expect to leave a place clean. Simples!! ��
    Sure. Leaving a place clean is good practice and would make the world a better place. but it has no impact on how clean the next place will be.
    The tenant needs to leave it as they found it minus normal wear and tear.

Sure. Leaving a place clean is good practice and would make the world a better place. but it has no impact on how clean the next place will be.... .

Of course, it can impact on how clean the next tenants get it in!! Particularly if they're moving in the next day, week or even month.

• Advertisement

Sure. Leaving a place clean is good practice and would make the world a better place. but it has no impact on how clean the next place will be.... .

Of course, it can impact on how clean the next tenants get it in!! Particularly if they're moving in the next day, week or even month.

Ok. We’re talking at cross purposes now. The tenant needs to leave the place as they found it minus normal wear and tear. If they found it spotless they need to leave it spotless. If they hound it in grand condition they only need to leave it in the same grand condition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

That is cleaner than any oven in any rental I ever lived in. Can’t see how he could retain the deposit tbh!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

....... wrote: »
    Go way out of that, theyd have trade cleaners stronger than stuff an ordinary joe could buy in a supermarket.

All available in hardware stores or even euro shops

• Registered Users Posts: 23,335 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If his only major request is to have the oven professionally cleaned, have the oven professionally cleaned.

I get it's a hundred quid but not doing this will cost you that at least as he'll retain it in a deposit. Also, bleach the mold everywhere, even if it is just cosmetically cleaning it.

And finally no, you giving the over a bit of a clean is not the same thing. Every single time my tenants say something is cleaned perfectly it's just not. It never is.

A new oven is about 200 euro.
    https://powercity.ie/groups/45/40

To spend 50% of the price on a clean is perverse. Considering that if it’s 2 year old 25% is written off against depreciation.

It’s a square metal box with glass on the front. It’s not hard to clean.

Cleaner isn’t a registered trade. I could stick up an ad and sell my services a professional oven cleaner, am i magically going to be a better cleaner than a tenant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

I got a guy to professionally clean the oven on a house a tenant left in a state for 50euros.it was spotless when the tenant moved in, tenant there 2years. I am in my house 12 and my oven is good as new and used daily.
    Your Hob looks great. Maybe spray something on the tiles and grout so it will show the great work you did on the hob.

The LL is happy with the oven. The apartment was dirty when we moved in, back splash tiles and bathroom tiles all dirty and grimy. Pink marks on the walls from some kind of freshner??! But I have cleaned it so it is in better condition than when we moved in. The LL was honest about not having time to clean it so I would hope he appreciates that I’m leaving it looking spotless especially since we agreed to leave a day early so new tenants can move in.

The mould was there when we moved in also but it wasn’t bad. We use the dryer for drying clothes and only since November did we stop opening the windows however was cleaning it away but between working more hours and having a 4 year old, I just fell behind with my cleaning ritual. Anyway I’ve cleaned the mould away. It wasn’t bad. I think my LL is a little contrary at times but thankfully we’ll part amicably.

Advertisement