Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can someone in their 30s afford a house - PLEASE READ MOD WARNING IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

Want to end up trapped in negative equity, in an apartment unsuitable for future needs? Because this is how you do that.

Seriously, have the Irish collective learned nothing from the past 10 years?
    Never buy a home with the sole intention of "trading up"
    Obviously don't buy something that is unsuitable but not considering a property unless it's ideal for the next 50 years is such an Irish attitude. No wonder the countryside is disappearing under a blanket of commuter suburbia.

Rent costs more than a mortgage so a starter home makes sense for those who find the forever home out of reach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

Wood wrote: »
    Currently single ( fiancé who is a single parent). Had a crap job then got promoted.

Have about 5% of a deposit. Basically begged stole and borrowed to make the 10%.

Still not approved. Mortgage repayments are 40% of current rent.

So to answer your question. I have no idea.

Income is over 100k a year beyween us. Can't get a mortgage for 200k.

Take a strong look at your finances then so, I`d even seek financial advice from a professional because there is something seriously wrong if a bank wont entertain you.

In the past week I know 3 couples who don`t make 100k a year between them and they all got approved for a house over 200k in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks for all the replies. How do people have what they have at such a young age? What do ye do in life to get paid a decent wage? I kind of started saving last year but haven't saved since last September. Haven't touched it either. But it's such a miserable amount, about 1k. Guess it's a start but I'll be in my 40s by the time I get anything if I'm lucky.

I started on 25k euro approx twenty years, aged approx 24.

That then rose to 55k approx by age 35-40.

I was saving 700 pm fifteen years ago in my twenties.

Fairly similar to my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks for all the replies. How do people have what they have at such a young age? What do ye do in life to get paid a decent wage?

Average earnings in Ireland are 46k approx.

I know people aged 25 on 45k in 2018, not uncommon.

These would be in skilled roles, in demand.

Skilled people need to be aiming for 60k by age 40.

For whatever reason folk seem very peeved about folk with their own house etc at 30 odd.

If you are in your 30s and don't have your own place instead of trying to look at how others went right try and look at where you went wrong and work on that.

There's generally a year in Oz, some nice cars, multiple city breaks, flash holidays and regular shopping trips to explain how folk in their 30s who are in decent enough jobs aren't in their own place and don't have €30/€40k in the bank.

You'll find the ones with a wedge in the bank aren't vociferous in their moaning as they can appreciate the advantages of renting over buying and that there's often a premium involved to do so. The folk who squandered decades of disposable income and saved fnck all generally have chips on their shoulders.

If you've never had a job that provided a wage to save etc then the story tells itself generally, from a young age most can see where the money is, some go for it others don't, that's fair enough too.
    Dublin and low wages isn't fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We bought our home 2 weeks before my 36th birthday in 2016 as a single-income family of 4 where both myself and my wife had pissed away every cent we earned in our 20's and early 30s.

We had a few things going for us, or things I think we did well. Some of them might be tips others could take on board, other just factors of our good luck:

1) I earn a shade over the average gross household income so while not spectacular or anywhere near 6 figures, it's a decent wage.
    2)We both took on additional part-time jobs, me doing a few bar shifts, my wife doing some babysitting.
    3) We were lucky enough to be able to borrow some of the deposit from parents (they took out 5 year loans, lodged the amount our accounts 6 months before we applied for the mortgage so it wouldn't show on our bank statements at that time and we made the repayments out of cash from the nixers).
    4) We clearing all our previous debts and saved our asses off for two years by living frugally: driving a single 12/13 year old car, have never had health insurance, cancelled the TV package (just kept an internet connection and Netflix / On demand services / torrents etc), bought an annual pass for the zoo and used it almost every second week instead of bringing the kids to the cinema / play centres / swimming pools etc., wouldn't go to the doctor unless absolutely necessary, refused invitations to a few weddings, stags dos etc., meal planned as much as possible to reduce what we spent on takeaways and waste on grocery shopping (which was always done in Lidl or Aldi), took 1 short, cheap family holiday to the UK in that time availing of loyalty points I'd accumulated from business travel to cover 3 nights of hotels, invited friends over and drank in our home instead of the pub (though having 2 small kids, the pub wasn't a big factor in our lives anyway!)
    5) We threw the net very wide when looking at areas we'd be happy to live in and found somewhere we absolutely love in North County Dublin that I wouldn't have initially thought of at all.
    6) We focused on finding a fixer upper that didn't involve structural work and found a solid, 4 bed / circa 110sqm house that had been neglected for years was horrendously decorated but was on a lovely small road in a small village surrounded by green space and beaches.
    7) We accepted that we couldn't fix everything about the house immediately. Some rooms we've gutted (bathroom and kitchen), most we've just given a good lick of paint, I've a list of DIY jobs that'll keep me busy for years to come (and a major job planned for 3 or 4 years time to replace the ancient, misted up double-glazing with more appropriate sash windows).
    8) When it came to fitting out the house we gratefully accepted some hand me downs from friends and family, bought stuff second hand off adverts (the washer / dryer cost all of €50, the bathroom sanitary ware was free and got tarted up with new taps etc., we salvaged an "upcycling gone wrong" kitchen table for free etc.), the rest came from the lower ends of the IKEA catalogues.
    9) I did as much of the work as I could, learning from youtube, the DIY forum here and so on.
    10) We went to builders providers or wholesalers for paint, fittings, materials, etc. they can be less than half the price than the big DIY chains and the products can often be of superior quality.
    11) We took the first mortgage we were offered, gave the place the afore-mentioned cosmetic facelift over the first year we lived there and were able to change our LTV to avail of a much better interest rate for our second year in the property after getting it revalued.

A neighbour's house in comparable condition to what ours is in now has just sold for 40% more than we paid (in an area that's increased by an average of slightly over 11% in that time) so I'd hope we're fairly safe in the event of a crash: we've almost 35% equity in the property and the mortgage is manageable even if I have to take a 50% cut in salary at some point. Sure, the BER rating is nowhere near what we'd have in a new build and the heating/electric bills reflect that. I could easily spend 50k modernising the place further but I've actually discovered that I enjoy DIY as a hobby and it'll get there over time. Time that we'll be spending paying down our own mortgage instead of a landlord's. :)

There was a lot of talk about how much easier it was to buy a property in the 70's on this thread without remembering that properties in those days weren't done up to anything like the same standard as people expect these days. Couples buying in the 70's/80's often lived with the decor for years before they could afford to decorate it to their own tastes. Rooms were furnished as the money to furnish them was earned and saved. Many of what we now consider household "essentials" were luxuries only the very wealthy had back then (tumble dryers, microwaves, second television sets, heated towel rails, burglar alarms). I can still remember the excitement of our family getting our first VCR when I was 4 years old and it costing my Dad a full month's wages!

Sleepy wrote: »
    2)We both took on additional part-time jobs, me doing a few bar shifts, my wife doing some babysitting.
    3) We were lucky enough to be able to borrow some of the deposit from parents (they took out 5 year loans, lodged the amount our accounts 6 months before we applied for the mortgage so it wouldn't show on our bank statements at that time and we made the repayments out of cash from the nixers)............

Did the nixer money cover the loans? Or are the repayments running for the next couple of years too?
    I doubt many can get the deposit like that tbh....... and that was crucial to your plan/project :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Augeo wrote: »
    Did the nixer money cover the loans? Or are the repayments running for the next couple of years too?
    I doubt many can get the deposit like that tbh....... and that was crucial to your plan/project :)
    No, the nixers covered the loans until after we'd drawn down the mortgage. Will be paying them back for another couple of years still. The repayments, if added to our mortgage repayments, would still be lower than market rent for the area though.

I'd imagine a lot more than you'd expect could get a chunk of their deposit that way (it was about 40% of our deposit and initial redecoration budget). The only real requirements are parents that are willing and able to take out a home improvement loan and the forward planning to arrange it. It's some creative accounting and I'm sure it would be frowned upon by the banks but there's nothing too dodgy about it.

Geuze wrote: »
    Average earnings in Ireland are 46k approx.

I know people aged 25 on 45k in 2018, not uncommon.

These would be in skilled roles, in demand.

Skilled people need to be aiming for 60k by age 40.

The median is far below this and very few BSc lab techs would be on that. Same for loads or areas.

Don't let "average" cloud perception. It's very skewed by industries such as tech high earners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

The vast majority of replies here are from dual income buyers, the question was "someone" not "couples" ;) I think we know the answer for a single person, it's extremely hard to afford a house on their own presently. Maybe easier to afford an apartment though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

professore wrote: »
    The people who killed themselves saving got hit the worst.

How, exactly? No-one lost deposits. Relatively minor tax on DC pension funds. So what saver got 'hit the worst'?

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'd imagine a lot more than you'd expect could get a chunk of their deposit that way (it was about 40% of our deposit and initial redecoration budget). The only real requirements are parents that are willing and able to take out a home improvement loan and the forward planning to arrange it. It's some creative accounting and I'm sure it would be frowned upon by the banks but there's nothing too dodgy about it.

I'm not saying/suggesting it's dodgy at all............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

We saved €25k in a year, and we managed it because:
    A. We were on poor salaries, but both got a promotion around the same time and started saving the extra money we earned.
    B. We live in a hovel and the landlord got caught out by the 4% rental cap, so our rent is still less than €900. People are paying double now for similar properties.
    C. We were used to living a fairly frugal lifestyle as our wages were so low two years ago, and so we don't spend a huge amount of money on clothes, going out etc. I don't think we have missed out on too much over the last year and went on a few trips abroad.
    D. We are probably going to opt for a new build, so we may get the 5% rebate.

However, we still aren't certain if we will actually get a mortgage. Oh and we are 33/36, so we might only get a 25-year mortgage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

klaaaz wrote: »
    The vast majority of replies here are from dual income buyers, the question was "someone" not "couples" ;) I think we know the answer for a single person, it's extremely hard to afford a house on their own presently. Maybe easier to afford an apartment though.

Agreed. But realistically, land in Dublin at scarce. A single person living in a house in Dublin is inefficient and it makes sense that it would be unaffordable to most when they're competing against couples. I don't see any reason why a single person wouldn't aim to live in a well spec'd apartment.

As regards couples affording a house in Dublin; yes, it involves having 2 decent incomes and a good attitude to saving. It is do-able though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I can remember seeing a chart for the wages to mortgage ratio in Ireland around 2002 (it was from the 70's - late 90's) and where they once used to be parallel or close enough, in the mid 90's they spiked dramatically.
    Then around 2008 I am guessing that they dropped a lot again after the bubble burst.
    Would love to see an updated version. Are they closer in line than they were in 2002, or even further apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

klaaaz wrote: »

I was originally applying as a sole applicant but because we weren't married, it made sense to do a joint application so both names on deeds and mortgage. It was more from that point of view than the financial cost that we went for it. I could have gotten the mortgage on our house by myself (deposit wasn't fully there solely though).
    Amirani wrote: »
    I don't see any reason why a single person wouldn't aim to live in a well spec'd apartment.

Honestly if I was single and buying, I probably would look more at apartments rather than houses. But being in a couple and planning a family, it made sense to get a house so as not to have to look at moving in a couple of years (I hate moving).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Thanks for all the replies. How do people have what they have at such a young age? What do ye do in life to get paid a decent wage? I kind of started saving last year but haven't saved since last September. Haven't touched it either. But it's such a miserable amount, about 1k. Guess it's a start but I'll be in my 40s by the time I get anything if I'm lucky.

I wasn't on a great wage when I bought my house. I saved solidly for 18 months to get the deposit together. As my earnings increased I kept living on my original wage and put the rest off the mortgage. I still has a life but I'd be going on one holiday a year instead of two or three, drive an old car, only go out once a month etc. I have friends who would have found that a miserable way to live but I paid off my mortgage last year at the age of 41 and now my kids are older I'm able to enjoy myself. Was it worth it? Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Live with your parents for as long as possible. Don't drink, don't smoke, don't take holidays, don't eat or go out more than once every two weeks. Buy one year old used phones and keep them for 4 years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭clones1980

This is achievable with a long term plan and commitment. I am a single parent of one child and I now own my house outright.

The first thing I did was clear all loans I had, stopped impulse buying, got rid of my credit card, then I saved like mad. I even sold things I no longer needed like kids clothes that were outgrown, toys that were no longer played with.

I will also say I had visions way above my station when It came to where I wanted to live but I had to let them go and settled for a house that was cheap, in a good area and I put the money into doing it up over a number of years when I could afford it. Its now paid off in full and I am saving for my "forever home".

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Myself and the missus saved for 12 months while living at home, saved just 8000 each, that was enough for a deposit on a brand new 4 bed semi in Dublin commuter belt, along with legal fees. Have been fitting it out over the last year, in no rush to finish it. We are on very average salaries too. Without the HTB scheme it would have taken twice as long to save. Mortgage is 550 each per month.

Wouldn't have been able to afford Dublin but we weren't interested in buying there either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

clonesbabe wrote: »
    This is achievable with a long term plan and commitment. I am a single parent of one child and I now own my house outright.

The first thing I did was clear all loans I had, stopped impulse buying, got rid of my credit card, then I saved like mad. I even sold things I no longer needed like kids clothes that were outgrown, toys that were no longer played with.

I will also say I had visions way above my station when It came to where I wanted to live but I had to let them go and settled for a house that was cheap, in a good area and I put the money into doing it up over a number of years when I could afford it. Its now paid off in full and I am saving for my "forever home".

Good luck

Would you really move again?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I started with the old SSIA back in 2001 (I think). I was in college at the time working part time but my mother encouraged me to save little and often from an early age. I commenced working in 2003 and continued to save, increasing the amount here and there. While I have been consistently working since then - in that I never took time off to live abroad - I did go on some holidays, bought nice clothes, went out etc. I was also very fortunate in that I lived at home for most of my 20's and was very grateful to have that opportunity.

By the time I met my husband, we had decent savings built up between us but we didn't have to live a frugal life to achieve the overall aim of buying a house.

Timing is a massive factor when purchasing a house and we were lucky in that we were able to buy together at the height of the recession in a decent area. Had I met my husband say around 2006, it's quite possible that we would be living either in an apartment in negative equity or in a location far from home.

I'd suggest that the prevailing message from this thread, is to commence saving, ideally by a monthly standing order, even if the amount is small.

bigpink wrote: »
    Would you really move again?

Absolutely. Well I keep saving and if I see a house I love well and good but I am in rush.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'd suggest that the prevailing message from this thread, is to commence saving, ideally by a monthly standing order, even if the amount is small.

I don't remember where I read this (probably some 'inspirational' Facebook meme :P) but you can also apply it to saving:

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time to plant one is today.

--

I'd say to anyone just do it, however much you can afford. If you're not stretched in month/week one, increase the amount and keep increasing it until you feel you've reached your limit for the moment. If you have anything left at the end of the month before payday, add that to savings too. When a loan repayment ends or you get a raise, increase savings accordingly. Sometimes you'll have to decrease what you are saving too, things happen but keep on saving whatever you can. It all adds up.

There are some very inspirational posts in this thread for big time saving, I've enjoyed reading them and they have given me some ideas of my own :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

clonesbabe wrote: »
    Absolutely. Well I keep saving and if I see a house I love well and good but I am in rush.

Fair play if you can afford a second house
    Do you not like your current property?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

We did it. Well, we have the deposit saved, we just have to find a place now. Family of four with one salary. Only started saving in our early thirties after we had our first kid. Budgeting is definitely the key factor. If it's what you want, then you have to make sacrifices in other areas of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

pwurple wrote: »
    *eyeroll* Sure, I'm dead already. I've never been across africa, syria, or iceland,or lived in the US and switzerland. Never abseiled a glacier, never saw a sunrise over a hawaiian volcano. Never had a family, never rode motorbikes across europe. Never stood on standby in Austin texas for 40 hours waiting for jumpseats to be available, and heard some crazy stories. Except, wait, yes I did all those things. Within my means, while working.

Only one parent works in our house too. To do that, you need to spend less. Kinda like the 70's. :D

Back in the 70's (and yes, I was there too) we all had way less. We had one car, that didn't have back seats. Family of 7. All shared bedrooms. No mobiles, no internet, no meals out, no cafe coffee, no holidays to anywhere on an airplane. I didn't see an elephant in real life until I was 24. The Zoo? Don't be silly, that's crazy money.

You want more, like people generally have now, you pay more for it. That's how it works.

There was a thread in PI recently where the whole of boards seemed to think it was ludicrous that a guys new girlfriend didn't think a telly and a subscription was necessary in her house. She's right, it's a luxury. I remember my parents buying their first one.

And actually, if you want to be a bit more like people who you think have what you want... a house, a lifestyle, whatever, read and pay attention to what they say about getting there. Learn from their experience. Also also learn from people who f-ed it up. Most of the time they are bitter , but you can learn from that too.

I used to read heaps of books on this when I was in my twenties, and now, I read a good bit on FatFIRE, and LEANFire, for planning my retirement. People who have money, don't spend it on unimportant stuff, and have learned how to earn it.

Ah, would you give over? If you were around in the 70s, then you have no idea what it's like to be 30ish now. I love how people from your generation think they worked harder and sacrificed more and conveniently forget how much more affordable housing was when you were young.

All this 'don't go to Starbucks' sh1te is just that - sh1te. I could never buy another latte in my life and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference regarding being able to get a mortgage or not. I'm a single woman in my early thirties and you know why I can't afford a house?

- Didn't get any help from parents for college, or a grant, so had to take out loans of over 3k euros a year, in addition to working every summer and term time.
    - Graduated right into the 2008 recession, and spent a few years taking any old sh1tty job going, just to pay the rent.
    - While doing the above, I was paying a fortune in rent and bills. Well over half my paycheck every single month gone on just survival, before I even got into paying for food, student loan repayments, travel to work, etc.
    - Have a chronic illness which costs me a lot of money in doctors visits and medication costs, am not entitled to a medical card.
    - Still earning a below average wage now in my thirties due to the above issues and have only just been able to start saving anything at all. Still paying a fortune to rent a room and struggle to save anything.

I've never had a car. Never even had a driving lesson because I couldn't afford them. Never gone out drinking every single weekend. Never gone on a 'gap year'. I simply just have never had any money. As a single person who has always had to rent since leaving school, almost all my money has gone on essentials. There are plenty of people like myself.

I love how so many of the people here are thinking they're great for saving a mortgage when they have a partner and both are earning a decent wage. The funniest one is the guy whose partner already had savings. What are the rest of us meant to do, magic up a partner who already has money saved in the bank?

bigpink wrote: »
    Fair play if you can afford a second house
    Do you not like your current property?

Apologies I should have made that clearer... I do intend to sell my house and the money from that along with my savings will be used to purchase a new home. I had originally intended to keep the house and rent it out but tbh I don't think I like the idea of dealing with tenants.

Absolutely I do like my house but it is a 2 bed house that suited our circumstances when I bought it and even now. I just know that as my son gets older I would love an extra bedroom and a second living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ah, would you give over? If you were around in the 70s, then you have no idea what it's like to be 30ish now. I love how people from your generation think they worked harder and sacrificed more and conveniently forget how much more affordable housing was when you were young.

I totally agree. I'm 49 and I really wouldn't like to be starting over now.

People tend to belittle millennials, but I really think that they're the 'beaten generation' financially when you look at all the debt they're coming out of college with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

All this 'don't go to Starbucks' sh1te is just that - sh1te. I could never buy another latte in my life and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference regarding being able to get a mortgage or not. I'm a single woman in my early thirties and you know why I can't afford a house?

- Didn't get any help from parents for college, or a grant, so had to take out loans of over 3k euros a year, in addition to working every summer and term time.
    - Graduated right into the 2008 recession, and spent a few years taking any old sh1tty job going, just to pay the rent.
    - While doing the above, I was paying a fortune in rent and bills. Well over half my paycheck every single month gone on just survival, before I even got into paying for food, student loan repayments, travel to work, etc.
    - Have a chronic illness which costs me a lot of money in doctors visits and medication costs, am not entitled to a medical card.
    - Still earning a below average wage now in my thirties due to the above issues and have only just been able to start saving anything at all. Still paying a fortune to rent a room and struggle to save anything.

I've never had a car. Never even had a driving lesson because I couldn't afford them. Never gone out drinking every single weekend. Never gone on a 'gap year'. I simply just have never had any money. As a single person who has always had to rent since leaving school, almost all my money has gone on essentials. There are plenty of people like myself.

I love how so many of the people here are thinking they're great for saving a mortgage when they have a partner and both are earning a decent wage. The funniest one is the guy whose partner already had savings. What are the rest of us meant to do, magic up a partner who already has money saved in the bank?

you cant help getting ill, thats just unfortunate, but it sounds like your choice of college degree and subsequent career choices havent been great. you have to take that one on the chin.

also for various other reasons times in the 70s and 80s were very hard too, this thing that every generation assumes they had it harder than the last isnt always factual either ( i am in my 30s by the way)

Advertisement