Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

I only have issue with Aki and Zebo playing for Ireland

Rob Kearney must be borderline for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Easier to hide behind quips and counter-points than try to develop an actual viewpoint, isn't it?

It's even easier to make ridiculous statements without putting any thought into it.

Your position doesn't make any sense because citizenship is totally arbitrary. Did Roux only become Irish the minute he signed his papers? If so, what was an hour earlier? If he kept his SA citizenship, does that make him only 50% Irish? Or is he 100% Irish and 100% South African? He's a big guy I guess but 200% is pushing it even for him.

My viewpoint is that anyone who's eligible should be picked. I think some of the project players have made a great contribution and anyone else who qualifies should be considered for selection.

My viewpoint is that I don't care if Quinn Roux changes his name to Ruairi Quinn, and I don't care if Stander and Aki never become citizens. Just let them play rugby.

Where you and I differ is that I think this is a really complex issue and I don't think that people who disagree with me are racists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

We could be looking at 5 or 6 foreigners playing for Ireland in the next couple of years. I don't think that's right. For players with relations here, that's fine but not the project players. Nothing I or others can do about it I suppose. And stop the nonsense about players from the North, they are Irish so are playing for Ireland.

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The project player talk has been done to the death. No point rehashing it all again. Drop it and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Deleted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Nobody is listening to Luke Fitz podcast. He knows when he mentioned the subject before it was splashed all over the press.....

How do I get clicks, fire it out again and see how many people listen.....

Like most of these podcast/articles etc they are just click bait. Want example, just have a look at the likes of walesonline.....everything is a article with a heading like "Joe Schimidt says he hates Wales"....then if you click and read the article it is nothing of th esort but at that stage you have clicked and the advertisers have you down.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Frankly it's my favourite publication.

Love the Page 3 pics......vbulletin1052wiv.jpg1052wiv.jpg [/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Which is true. Roux isn't at the required level.
    Roux isn't good enough. That's my main issue. He can have 59 different passports and nothing will change that.

You're entitled to your opinion but it's abundantly clear that Joe Schmidt disagrees with you.

Oh and:
    I suppose if you have an Irish passport, you are Irish and it takes five years to get a passport here and I would think if you have a passport you are able to play.
    - Luke Fitzgerald

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Racist and xenophobic are pretty big accusations to be thrown around and not valid in this instance in my opinion, James Lowe i would still call a kiwi even if he lived her for 7 years - nothing about that is racist

I’d say you’d probably still call James Lowe a Kiwi if he lived in Ireland for 70 years. For a country that has sent so many of it’s own abroad there is a segment of the Irish population that is extremely reluctant to let anyone born overseas ever be considered Irish. It’s probably tied up with history and the English colonisation but I’d never deign to consider myself an expert in the matter. NZ is the opposite on the issue where people get offended if you don’t consider yourself a Kiwi after 6 months living there. Anyway this is more for the off topic thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Roux is surplus though, isn't he? He will most likely not be capped a lot. Once Toner returns, he'll be back to the fringes.
    It's also possible that Henshaw, once healthy will remove Aki from the equation.
    Besides Stander, there's no locked in project player.
    We're fortunate in a way. Any excess or surplus from Leinster, can make up the #'s at the other provinces LOL.
    just kiddin!

• Advertisement

Since Aki became eligible Ireland have played 18 tests. He has played in 15/18 - all starts. 2 of the 3 he missed were Fiji and USA. Even accounting for injuries I think it's pretty mad that anybody is in any way sure that he's going to suddenly be displaced from the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Bazzo wrote: »
    Since Aki became eligible Ireland have played 18 tests. He has played in 15/18 - all starts. 2 of the 3 he missed were Fiji and USA. Even accounting for injuries I think it's pretty mad that anybody is in any way sure that he's going to suddenly be displaced from the team.

In fairness whilst I don’t agree with him he said it’s possible that Henshaw dislodges Aki that’s not exactly any way sure

salmocab wrote: »
    In fairness whilst I don’t agree with him he said it’s possible that Henshaw dislodges Aki that’s not exactly any way sure

It wasn't targeted at any specific poster, it pops up here all the time. A lot of people seem to think that as soon as injury permits Aki is straight out of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I’d say you’d probably still call James Lowe a Kiwi if he lived in Ireland for 70 years. For a country that has sent so many of it’s own abroad there is a segment of the Irish population that is extremely reluctant to let anyone born overseas ever be considered Irish. It’s probably tied up with history and the English colonisation but I’d never deign to consider myself an expert in the matter. NZ is the opposite on the issue where people get offended if you don’t consider yourself a Kiwi after 6 months living there. Anyway this is more for the off topic thread.
    Its not about racism, it's the irish obsession with place and locality

My granny has lived in Ennis for almost 70 years and she still considers herself as a Kerry woman. She's not racist against Ennis people. "Where are you from?" is a very common irish question when getting to know someone. And this question is intended to build links, eg, "Oh, you're from Killorglin?, Do you know the Sheahons? My cousin is married to a Sheahon....."

These days with political correctness, it's seen as offensive by some to ask someone with different coloured skin or a different accent 'Where are you from?" but, as you said, that's a different topic for a different thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Bazzo wrote: »

How many times in those 15/18 games have both Henshaw and Ringrose been fit at the same time? I would say at this stage that Aki is our starting 12 but unless we get a run of games where all 3 remain fit, it’s impossible to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Ross Byrne at 10 for Leinster tomorrow. Adam Bryne on wing. Andrew Porter on bench.

Hard to tell with the rest week whether this makes a difference for Ireland selection but
    would imagine RB would be in line for 23 with Carbery injury.

https://twitter.com/OLSCRugby/status/1101092349462089729

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Eod100 wrote: »
    Ross Byrne at 10 for Leinster tomorrow. Adam Bryne on wing. Andrew Porter on bench.

Hard to tell with the rest week whether this makes a difference for Ireland selection but

That's an active imagination you have there.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Ross Byrne in the Leinster team but Jack Carty not released to Connacht.
    Not sure I would jump to the conclusion that RB will get 23 jersey for France

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm assuming that he thinks Sexton is injured and not going to be involved.

Because otherwise that makes absolutely no sense that Carty would drop out of the team altogether in place of someone who hasn't been in the squad for the campaign.

Ah yeah, forgot about Carty. Jumped the gun a small bit!

• Advertisement

Because otherwise that makes absolutely no sense that Carty would drop out of the team altogether in place of someone who hasn't been in the squad for the campaign.

Can't get away with a brain fart around these parts! :P

Who would you think would be on bench instead?

I hadn't realised that was a possibility. Has an injury been reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Ah yeah, forgot about Carty. Jumped the gun a small bit!

I do wonder who the next cab off the rank is.

Say Byrne (touch wood) gets a knock tomorrow, whose called up to Ireland camp as 3rd OH?

Do they go with the likes of Murray/ Cooney covering 10?

Possibly Bleyendaal or even Burns?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Say Byrne (touch wood) gets a knock tomorrow, whose called up to Ireland camp as 3rd OH?

ciaran-frawley-390x285.jpg

troyzer wrote: »
    ciaran-frawley-390x285.jpg

Pffft, he's injured.

We may as well fast forward a few years to the inevitable and just call Harry Byrne up now :pac:

It's a good question, not sure of answer tbh. Murray took 2 conversions while Sexton was still on pitch at weekend. Sexton not subbed off until 3 mins to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I hadn't realised that was a possibility. Has an injury been reported?

No nothing official, but he's been off form and been sluggish getting back up from a few borderline hits so there's been some "suggestions" that he sit this one out.

Won't materialise though and I'd fully expect him to start.

Yeah it's a weird one. Burns would fancy his chances. Or maybe even JJ.
    another way to look at it could be Rory Scannell /Noel Reid. If we just want someone in the 22 shirt they'd cover centre well and we can put a back 3 player in 23. And if we do lose our 5th choice out half they'll do as well as anyone else.

The game against Italy was made for someone like Ross Byrne. Play a little deeper, bring in our wings a bit more with some accurate, strategic kicking and keep the forwards motoring with a shorter passing game from first off the ruck.

We just need to live with France for 20 minutes while they blow their load and then capitalise as their error count rises. Hopefully we'll take it to them from the off but I've little fear of them especially away from home.

• Advertisement

The game against Italy was made for someone like Ross Byrne. Play a little deeper, bring in our wings a bit more with some accurate, strategic kicking and keep the forwards motoring with a shorter passing game from first off the ruck.

We just need to live with France for 20 minutes while they blow their load and then capitalise as their error count rises. Hopefully we'll take it to them from the off but I've little fear of them especially away from home.

I thought Carty did very well tbh.

We lost our entire backline shape really once Bundee went off. Has Farrell played at 12 since arriving back on these shores? And Earls just isn't a top tier international 13.

I'm not sure Byrne would have done any better than Carty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement